Notices

Scion Taps Oh-So-Cool Counterculture

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

in a day and age when the trend is curves and rounded shapes a brick is out selling all, it broke the trends
its small and square shape is very different from all others and functonal

i do realize its been out for a few more years in japan, but its sucsess here was a big suprize to most car enthusists
Subaru had a micro van long before any one else even the US mini van craze but it was too small and very under powered, the xb is a logical progression but years later

r&d is in everything, people think way too much about B.S.

eh marketing sux no matter what the product they never get the point of what is selling and why

getting there before the trend is the goal-r&d is the data hinting tward that(a big waste of resouces-why not make chit happen! try somthing new for a change!)

i also like the Suzuki wagon rr but its alittle small for the us market hell its 4WD and fun. micro sport rocks!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

huh?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i was really tired when i wrote that and maybe a little ____ed

whatever it was a rant out of control! it didnt make sense to me too

marketing is slow and if products cant speak for themselves they disappear quik
it was a kinda echo of what WTFxB wrote in a way, maybe

sorry Mike im dislexic and dont get people hunting for markets that are allready there

explain the pet rock? thats a strange fad! no one really can it was just dumb but sold
cars shouldent be that way.

just say no to fads and marketing gimicks, think for yourself, look behind the B.S., question why.......thats how new ideas and things are created right?

i hope this one is clear?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was born and raised into a chevy family that had to buy a toyota in the seventies due to economic reasons of that time

a toyota corina station wagon! if we woulda kept it! dam!

i owned two chevys before my xb, i had to go to the xb because of my economic standings(plus my 96 caprice had seen better days it was time)im freakin broke and cant afford v8's and dont get why some people drive monster SUV's but cant afford to pay insurance, gas,.............. buy a car that fits your budget and nescesity, then you can save for your weekend toy!

I, like so many owners have to agree that the maintence, fuel economy, reliability, quality, and support is why we buy some cars

of course the aftermarket is semi resonable about modding out the scion brand(ive got tons of ideas to help modding, like offer factory colors on lip kits-i know it brings up more questions)

it caters to the personality of owners like no other, as long as there is aftermarket support the cars will be popular. look at old school bugs for an example they havent been making them for years but there is so much to do to them.
if you want a more moddern example look at the 90's civics still sought after and popular on the street!

imports love bolt-ons, name brands, viynls-no brains, no origianlity, nothing new just a number of combinations................ just very simple!

and Rap or Hip Hop isnt the only music out there! but those jokers are victims of fashion and peer presher. i got to get me some26"dubs on my caddy escalade with 50 miilon dvd screens and subs./just a waste of money!!!!! cars are bad investments no mater what they are unless you sell them to collectors and never drive them!

just some of my opinons so dont get mad i can go on for days if ya want!!!!!!!!! and probly will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its okay man i was just scratching my head trying to make sense of what you wrote.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by SirPhobos1
"But only unknown artists, Templin added. If it's someone he's heard of, that person probably doesn't belong at a Scion event."

Uh-huh. So Templin's never heard of Ludacris....
LOL
Old 03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default What IS Hip? A Little Digression...

If over 30 is old, then at 51 I'm ancient. However, I am still hip, and Hip Hop is something I don't listen to. I really do think rap and hip hop have a place in the musical spectrum, but just not in mine. The last and only so called Hip Hop record I bought (and liked) was by a group called US3, who slickly combined unusally good rap subject matter with old jazz cuts made into loops. So what else besides my music taste and lack of fashion sense makes ME hip? Hmm let's see. Perhaps my common sense for living and surviving in the world we are in, contributes to my hipsness, as does my concern about our environment. For a marketing person from Toyota to ignore the fact that a lot of people over 40 and even over 50 are buying xBs is just plain stupid. My money is as green as anybody elses, right? Maybe they think that a gray, middle-aged man driving an xB is bad for business. Scion has created the latest"club" to be in or a team to be on, aimed at todays' youth. I think the reason other non-yutes like myself love the car line, is first of all, Toyora quality and value and then the unusal looks of the vehicles. Recognizing an unusally great product doen't require you to be young. As Tower Of Power once asked "What Is Hip? Tower who?, you ask. Oh you youngsters ain't as hip as you think. It's funny how Toyota is now seen as the "old people's" brand of car. Today the hip line is blurred. It's funny too. Now if you're driving a Toyota you're old and part of the establishment. Who'd would've thunk it?
In the seventies Toyota and Datsun (Nissan) came on strong and replaced MGs and Triumphs as the hip machines for young people. Owning a 240Z, an early Supra or later the MR2 was not considered establishment or being old. You were considered pretty cool if you were driving one of those rice burners. In those days bluehairs were driving Dodges/Chryslers and Buicks, and they drove slow and looked painfully unhip. They still are too, I wish they'd get the hell off the road! For me being hip in todays world is not just the music you listen to, or the clothes you wear, and to some extent what you drive. It's about both survival and making things happen for yourself. Standing on your own two feet at a young age is what's really hip. If you're under 30 and have your own vehicle or are earning enough to make payments on a vehicle on ytour own it's very hip. I think Scion would sell even more cars if Mommy and Daddy were not buying there kids freaking BMWs and the like. THAT is so not hip. Being concerned about keeping things green is also so very hip. So at 51, a lot rounder then I care to be and a lot grayer than I thought I'd ever get, am I hip? I drive an xB does that reallyt count? As for Scion, I bet the car line grows and one day will be considerd an old peoples car. OK I'll shutup now.
Matt
Old 03-15-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brambling
Here is the REAL list of factory options for 2008
1. Seat covers made from 100% recycled hemp fabric
2. "Investigate 9/11" body side graphics
3. ???
"Phase 3 = Profit!!!"

'Time to go to work, work all night, search for underpants yay, we won't stop till we have underpants yum tum yummy tum yay!'
Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm..kinda makes you think there, matt. well said!