Notices

Scion tC & Proposed Roof Crush Standard

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of my friends over in Oakwood was shoved off the road in the fog by some @$$hole in a big SUV coming the other way about the first of March. His tC went into the ditch on the side of the road and caught a culvert and flipped it end over end then when it hit the field, it kicked out side ways and rolled side to side for 2 rotations. The side bags went off. He was bruised and had a broken jaw. This tC is tough. He was going 55 on the two lane when it happened. It was crushed around him but it ate up the energy.

I say cars are replaceable, people aren't. If we can't afford a reasonable priced new car or truck with reasonable protection then buy a used one that meets it. Full Size trucks need to meet it to.

To many people operate big vehicles and feel they can handle anything but we had two SUV fatalities in the area during the heavy snow because when you lose control and slid you pack a lot of mass and energy if the wreck and the driver is not as protected and feels and suffers from the impactin alarge truck/SUV.

To follow up on Zach's wreck. He bought a new 09 Corolla. Not because the tC is a bad car but when your life flashes before your eyes he wanted same but different in a vehicle. Oh, the somebeach in the SUV did not stop either; the old couple behind him did and called 911.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB

Detroit wouldn't even put airbags in cars if they weren't federally required, since they cost money and Your Fellow American Consumer is too stupid to demand them. Toyota makes their cars insanely safe because they're smart enough to realize that keeping their customers alive is in EVERYONE'S best interest, but as for the rest of 'em....the stricter the safety regs, the better.
Get your facts straight my friend. The airbag was originally put into US auto production in the mid 70"s. Ford and GM were the first. They were not required until the late 80's.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The majority of crushed roofs that I see on the job are the results of rollovers that get stopped by something with more mass (buildings, utility poles, trees) or large animal strikes. The only vehicle on that list that I've had personal experience with in an MVA is the Yaris broadsided by a modified F350 (ambulance, not my crew) rolling @ 50 mph. The four occupants of the Yaris came out with cuts and bruises and the car had no significant passenger cabin intrusion (>3" on side of impact). The F350 did not fare quite as well.

Size isn't everything in the world of vehicle impacts.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lasrx
Does anyone else notice that this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison?

The tC is 3000lb while a F250 depending on model could weigh up to 6600lb empty. This proposed strength requirement based on vehicle weight would likely fail every full sized SUV out there. 4 x 3000lb is 12,000lb, but 4 x 6600lb is >26,000lb. I'm not sure they can even build frames that can support that kind of weight out of steel.

Key take away, you're less likely to be crushed by your own vehicle rolling over in an accident driving a tC than a truck / SUV. At least you're less likely to roll over in a SUV than a tC. Or was that the other way around...
apples to apples comparison? I don't think there is any comparison. this isn't a contest.

heavy cars need heavy support so people don't die in it. it doesn't matter if tC weighs 3k and another vehicle weighs hojillion pounds. at the end of the day it's a matter of which one is going to hold up in a roll over and which one is going to get you killed.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Hojillion pounds! Wow! That's a heavy car! (sorry, had to)
Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 PM
SL Member

The tC is 3000lb while a F250 depending on model could weigh up to 6600lb empty. This proposed strength requirement based on vehicle weight would likely fail every full sized SUV out there. 4 x 3000lb is 12,000lb, but 4 x 6600lb is >26,000lb. I'm not sure they can even build frames that can support that kind of weight out of steel.
Actually, a 4WD F250 XL weighs 6092 lbs. and if the roof can hold 1.7x its own weight = 10387 lbs. A tC weighs 2987 and its roof will hold 4.7x its own weight = 14039 lbs.

So you see, my little sport compact can withstand seven tons of force before collapsing while a 3/4 ton 4x4 can only withstand five.

That is COMPLETELY unacceptable.

No wonder ford is sinking as fast as GM and Chrysler.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:27 PM
SL Member

^ Oh yeah, if this law were to be in place, that means something built like the tC that could withstand a 14039 lb force and this only needed to be 2.5x the vehicle's weight, the vehicle could weigh as much as 14039/2.5=5616lbs.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Teare

Detroit wouldn't even put airbags in cars if they weren't federally required, since they cost money and Your Fellow American Consumer is too stupid to demand them.
Get your facts straight my friend. The airbag was originally put into US auto production in the mid 70"s. Ford and GM were the first. They were not required until the late 80's.
Just because they were the first to put them in some cars doesn't mean they'd gleefully put them in all cars.

What about ABS and Vehicle Stability Control? They're both proven to save lives but still "an option" on a handful of cars. Liiiike...the Aveo, for instance. And the Cobalt. And the Focus, and the PT Cruiser, for that matter. But hey, they were standard on my xB, and your tC...and the xA and xD, as it happens. See also: Versa, Fit...uh, you probably know where this is going at this point.

The base Cobalt doesn't even come with ABS, and you expect me to believe it would would come with airbags if it wasn't federally required? All the evidence points to the contrary.

I guess I need to make more money for Detroit to bother with my safety.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can buy a stock civic without abs. Also there has recently been some kind of study showing the ABS may not be as good as people think.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ditto on the ABS.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Higgy
You can buy a stock civic without abs. Also there has recently been some kind of study showing the ABS may not be as good as people think.
Sorry, my point was that Toyota puts basic (or what should be basic) safety features on every one of their cars.

And actually, studies showing that ABS is not the end-all of vehicle safety go back quite some time. The reigning theory for awhile now is something called "risk compensation": the idea that people who know their car has ABS will drive a little faster than if it didn't. It's kind of like how SUV drivers seem to think the "4-HIGH" button means "YOUR VEHICLE IS NOW IMMUNE FROM THE LAWS OF PHYSICS" and try to take turns at 45 MPH in the snow. All it proves is that anything can be dangerous in the hands of stupid people.

Personally, I can still tell you the license plate number of the Suburban I nearly plowed into in the rain at 55 MPH, where the only thing that saved me was the ability to stand on the brakes and swerve at the same time..and that was in 2004. So for me it's a little more obvious.

Which is why I get nervous when I rent a PT Cruiser, and every time I jam on the brakes it ends up facing a different direction. This is Chicago, people; you jam on the brakes a LOT.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's kind of like how SUV drivers seem to think the "4-HIGH" button means "YOUR VEHICLE IS NOW IMMUNE FROM THE LAWS OF PHYSICS" and try to take turns at 45 MPH in the snow.
LOL. Yeah I get what your saying. I couldn't imagine driving a vehicle without ABS because im sure if I was about to be in a wreck I wouldnt want to have to worry about pumping the breaks and swerving and keeping calm and collective all at the same time. Id rather just smash the pedal and move.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default hmm..

Originally Posted by pchavez
Great idea! So you didn't solve anything, Mr. Lawmakers.

How about requiring stricter tests for getting a license? Or banning you from driving if you DWI? There seem to be more pressing issues on the roads than 2.5 or 4 cars on your roof.
I have a friend who doesn't wear a seatbelt because he thinks it is dangerous if you roll the car and you get stuck. And his g/f doesn't wear a seatbelt b/c he gets mad at her for wearing it (as if to say his driving skills are crap.)

Am I wrong to think these two are a few peas short of a pod?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about ABS and Vehicle Stability Control? They're both proven to save lives but still "an option" on a handful of cars. Liiiike...the Aveo, for instance. And the Cobalt. And the Focus, and the PT Cruiser, for that matter. But hey, they were standard on my xB, and your tC...and the xA and xD, as it happens. See also: Versa, Fit...uh, you probably know where this is going at this point.

I guess I need to make more money for Detroit to bother with my safety.
Once again, it was Detroit who starting engineering and implementing these safety features way back in the 80's. My 1991 Chevy S10 had standard ABS.

Why does everyone have to bash on Detroit? If it wasn't for US automakers we wouldn't be driving the way we do now.

Not everyone want's ABS. None of my past 3 Toyota Camry's(1998, 2002, 2003) came with standard ABS. Nor did I want to pay the extra for it.

In fact when I ordered my 07 TC Side Air Bags were an option. So...I had to order, wait 4 weeks and pay the extra $650.00. I did this because it was my option. I didn't expect an economy car to have every safety feature available.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't stand ABS. For the most part they can keep traction control too, especially on track days.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superemu

Key take away, you're less likely to be crushed by your own vehicle rolling over in an accident driving a tC than a truck / SUV. At least you're less likely to roll over in a SUV than a tC. Or was that the other way around...
apples to apples comparison? I don't think there is any comparison. this isn't a contest.

heavy cars need heavy support so people don't die in it. it doesn't matter if tC weighs 3k and another vehicle weighs hojillion pounds. at the end of the day it's a matter of which one is going to hold up in a roll over and which one is going to get you killed.
Just imagine a using your full force to smack a hammer on the ground compared to a sludge hammer hit the ground...which one is going to need better reinforcement.( hammer being tC, sludge hammer as SUV). if you made the weight the same for all cars the little cars would have overkill roof support and create too much extra weight which would contribute to alot of extra factors
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Maybe car companies should start doing something to prevent roll overs. It's nice to know that I'll be safe IF it rolls over, but it's nicer to know that I'm driving a car that can't roll over. The BMW Z4 is a nice example of this. That thing is near impossible to roll, unless of course you hit a ramp with one side of the vehicle doing 160 mph.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good to know, i was planning on dropping 2 and a half tC's on top of mine to see how that would pan out.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Higgy
It's kind of like how SUV drivers seem to think the "4-HIGH" button means "YOUR VEHICLE IS NOW IMMUNE FROM THE LAWS OF PHYSICS" and try to take turns at 45 MPH in the snow.
LOL. Yeah I get what your saying. I couldn't imagine driving a vehicle without ABS because im sure if I was about to be in a wreck I wouldnt want to have to worry about pumping the breaks and swerving and keeping calm and collective all at the same time. Id rather just smash the pedal and move.
If you just slam on the breaks, in an ABS equipped vehicle, your stopping distance is significantly longer than if you smoothly applied them. ABS =/= shorter stopping distance. Yes, it's nice to have over not having it, but in a situation where braking is needed, and needed fast, it's a total waste (compared to smooth appliction, not compared to locking up the wheels).
Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha nice..

Quick Reply: Scion tC & Proposed Roof Crush Standard