Notices

Scion tC & Proposed Roof Crush Standard

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="rvpps2rocks"][quote="superemu"]
Originally Posted by lasrx
Does anyone else notice that this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison?

Just imagine a using your full force to smack a hammer on the ground compared to a sludge hammer hit the ground...which one is going to need better reinforcement.( hammer being tC, sludge hammer as SUV). if you made the weight the same for all cars the little cars would have overkill roof support and create too much extra weight which would contribute to alot of extra factors

Well Said.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
If you just slam on the brakes, in an ABS equipped vehicle, your stopping distance is significantly longer than if you smoothly applied them. ABS =/= shorter stopping distance. Yes, it's nice to have over not having it, but in a situation where braking is needed, and needed fast, it's a total waste (compared to smooth appliction, not compared to locking up the wheels).
Yes, but we have to factor in likelihood of scenarios here.

How often do you need to decelerate right this second where you wouldn't also need to swerve? Say the guy in front of you slams on the brakes. Is it better to have a car that can decelerate to zero in five fewer feet, which means you slam into him a little LESS hard....or a car that will allow you to slam on the brakes AND swerve into the next lane?

Similarly, in cases where you need to decelerate right that second, how likely is it the average person is going to have the presence of mind to not lock the brakes? We're talking about a situation where, by default, the person's life is LITERALLY on the line. Can you honestly say to me that if the guy in front of you fell off his motorcycle at 65 MPH you'd be able to provide "smooth braking," and be able to apply just enough braking pressure to avoid locking the brakes? Because most people would stomp the pedal, skid out of control, and flatten the guy anyway. I know I would, unless I had ABS to keep the car pointed forward long enough for me to pick a direction to swerve.

That's why it's called "panic braking" - because your brain is screaming OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE, and I think it's ludicrous to expect the average latte-sipping mall-oriented American to maintain control of a car under those conditions...without a little help.

Your point is absolutely true, though...
Old 05-18-2008, 01:17 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
And actually, studies showing that ABS is not the end-all of vehicle safety go back quite some time. The reigning theory for awhile now is something called "risk compensation": the idea that people who know their car has ABS will drive a little faster than if it didn't. It's kind of like how SUV drivers seem to think the "4-HIGH" button means "YOUR VEHICLE IS NOW IMMUNE FROM THE LAWS OF PHYSICS" and try to take turns at 45 MPH in the snow. All it proves is that anything can be dangerous in the hands of stupid people.
I read something similar in karate tournaments where contestants wearing padding and protection actually got injured more often than those without. The reason being that with protection they fealt more invincible and went all out, without protection they were more cautious and avoided injury better.

I once heard someone say that airbags and seatbelts are the worst kind of safety gear to put in a car. The best piece of safety equipment you could make standard would be a giant metal spike coming out of the steerinng column and pointed right at the drivers heart. Having one of those would almost certainly prevent a LOT of the accidents we see today.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm surprised no one else has brought up the fact that the arch is the strongest geometric shape. The Romans used arches for the aqueducts because it took far less material to build a strong stable structure. Look at the profile of the tC, that's a fine looking arch if I've ever seen one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch

Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Re: hmm..

Originally Posted by Number2
I have a friend who doesn't wear a seatbelt because he thinks it is dangerous if you roll the car and you get stuck. And his g/f doesn't wear a seatbelt b/c he gets mad at her for wearing it (as if to say his driving skills are crap.)

Am I wrong to think these two are a few peas short of a pod?
WOW...its hard to express how stupid your friend seems w/o sounding like a pompus, selfrighteous a $ $... but really...wow! There's a reason they're called "accidents," regardless of your driving ability, defensive driving dosent render you immune to others on the road. I hope you get through to your friend one day.

Although it wasnt safety standards or crash ratings that led me to getting a TC, its good to know that it meets/exceeds the norm.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

ummm yeaaaa...
sorry, your friends a retard.
lol
Old 07-02-2008, 01:43 AM
SL Member

It looks like that my family's cars are all there, the Tacoma, the Camry, and the tC. I always thought my car was a death trap when flipped. Unfortunately, I was wrong. That thing is a damn helmet!

I should tell my girlfriend to trade in her Dodge Ram and get a Jetta.