Notices

ScionLife Website Acquired by Internet Brands

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
well.. not that i have proof, but Scion corp does pop its head in this site every so often to see what's going on.

they don't post much, that's for sure, but they do keep an eye out.
I have no doubt that that is the case. I don't remember exactly how or when, but it seems like we were told that when some of the corporate people were in town for an event.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So in other words....we can look forward to a 50% increase in SPAM in our SL email boxes?????
Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by dudehitt
Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
well.. not that i have proof, but Scion corp does pop its head in this site every so often to see what's going on.

they don't post much, that's for sure, but they do keep an eye out.
I have no doubt that that is the case. I don't remember exactly how or when, but it seems like we were told that when some of the corporate people were in town for an event.
Yeah, there are a couple of posts that prove this actually. One post was talking about a lemon xa that went all the way to court (I think the post dealt with brakes)... during the court case, posts from this website made by the plaintiff were shown.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Dwatts5250
So in other words....we can look forward to a 50% increase in SPAM in our SL email boxes?????
no, that only happens when you become a mod.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

When life gives you spam, do as the hawaiians do and make spam matsubi
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dwatts5250
cool, a raise! oh, but 150% of 0 is what??
Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Originally Posted by paul34
Alright, since no one else is willing to say it:

Corporate sell-outs FTL
Dude, don't be retarded. Yeah... Toyota, who makes your car is just a mom and pop operation, that throws hippie concerts and promotes drug use. Yeah... Your computer and the microchips inside were made in a garage. Yeah... Your cellphone was designed and manufactured by ethiopian refugees...

Sure... The fiber optic lines that connect your ISP to the web is made out of hemp and happy thoughts...

Sure, somebody smoked some drugs and came up with modern day medicine and vaccines.

Sure... Multi national corporations and funding partners didn't help to build our cities road, water, power, and transportational infrastructure.

Let's all be like kazakstan... They don't have corporations there! We can be number one exporter of potassium. Great success!
I'm not sure what you're referring to here, djct. I always considered SL an enthusiast site - but as I now see, it was a business venture. Which is fine, and requires retraction of my previous statement. One business being sold to another isn't selling out.

However, your statements still puzzle me. No offense, but what do they have to do with anything? Also, there's no need to flame. Coherent arguments are fine - and also admitting when you are wrong, like I try to do - but flaming is often considered to be low-level and unnecessary on quality forums. Please avoid it in the future.

Originally Posted by Tomas
Relax. Someone did have to say it, and it is a legit thought/worry, but in this case, Darren and Troy have put a lot of work into ScionLife, starting from nothing and building it to what we have today, and it is about time they both get some reward for it, AND get to relax a bit.

Any time there is change, people get uncomfortable, and this is one of those times.

Thing is, this change has already happened, and no one even noticed.

Relax. This isn't a bad thing. :D

Tom
Gotcha. Looking forward to faster servers then

Thanks Darren for what you did to bring SL to this point.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dont envy your position, for that reason. All the power in Web, and no shortage of whiney emails.....its great.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Internet Brands is a business right? A for-profit business right? So their goal is to make $$$ right?

Darren and Troy were (I'm guessing) initially in it for the fun of it as car enthusiasts right? NOT to make $$$. When the money came through advertisers, premium members, and however else they generate enough money to keep the servers going, any extra was a "bonus" wasn't it?

Unless I'm looking at the past through rose-colored glasses. I'm not too familiar with the history of SL.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Brands
http://www.internetbrands.com/ib/

Congratulations to Darren! I'm uberly jealous of whatever amount you got for this place!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So maybe since he sold the webpage he can not start selling window stickers again ... FTW
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Daskid
I just hope not to see too much advertisements. As well as pop-ups and spywares/adwares from this site. Please keep SL a clean and secure site.

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I second, third, fourth... I 1 millionth that..

but you know it's going to happen eventually.......

Just to be nosey... Can't you find out how much the site sold for.. Isn't that like public information.. at least for tax reasons...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Darren started SL as a business and as an automotive (and specifically Toyota) enthusiast. Part of the reason SL has succeeded is because he is an entrepreneur, and unlike many purely enthusiast sites, he was able to make a living off the site, which allowed him to develop it and improve it full time. Win-win. Many enthusiast sites never grow to the size of SL, partly because they don't get the same support.

IB didn't just buy the traffic to SL, they bought the meeting place for this community. They know that in order to maintain the value in this site, they need to keep all of you happy. Changes that will drive off visitors wouldn't help anyone, so I expect any changes down the road to just be improvements.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does this mean we can make the Thread Jacker pages as big as we want now?????
Old 07-20-2007, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ LOL
Old 07-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Banned
SL Member

I personally congratulated both Darren and Troy for all their hard work in Miami; im almost sure they dont remember. To take an idea and make it what this site has become cant be measured by words. To turn around and sell it to an internet provider of such caliber ... thats just ducky by me. Congrats and thanks again ....

As some have pointed out, once a bigger fish eats the smaller fish, the smaller is nothing more then a memory. This little fish got eaten up ( again i believe Darren worked hard to get here and he deserves every penny ) but i think its only a matter of time until SL looses its closeness.

Unless the buyer only bought 49% and the other 51% is left in the hands of the creator(s) then the buyer can; over time, do what every they want with their new purchase.

All Good Things Must Come To An End.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Darren,

Congrats with the Sale. I'm sure it's worth it.

It's been over 4 1/2 years since I first registered with SL and to this day, I still lurk around this site.

When is the Celebration Party!.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Oh well, this was bound to happen.

Hopefully this company will put SL on some really fast servers so we don't have those slow loading pages during peak hours.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully in August, Wes...

Tom
Old 07-20-2007, 02:43 AM
bc
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion corp checks here, the forum even has a section for anyone from sales to corporate to communicate in.

Scion also has their own offical forums for anyone really concerned about contacting them.

Quick Reply: ScionLife Website Acquired by Internet Brands