Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Toyota Completes Transition to Water-borne Paint

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...06/003280.html

Tokyo, Japan, Apr 5, 2006 - (JCN Newswire) - TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today that it has completed introduction of metallic water-borne paint for the top coat painting process at all nine TMC vehicle body paint lines in Japan, greatly promoting measures to reduce emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs).

Capping an effort that started with the introduction of water-borne paint - hich is more environmentally friendly than conventional paint - or the top coat painting process at its Takaoka Plant in August 1999, TMC recently introduced water-borne paint for the top coat process at its Motomachi Plant. This has resulted in an average VOC emission level of 30g/m2 (unit of weight per painted surface area) across all lines, compared to 55g/m2 in FY2000, or a 45% reduction, enabling TMC to meet its FY2005 goal to reduce VOC emissions to an "average of 35g/m2 or less on all lines", as stipulated in the Third Toyota Environmental Action Plan (FY2001-2005).

Toyota has long been actively implementing initiatives to reduce VOCs, which generate suspended particulate matter and photochemical oxidants, both of which are thought to contribute to atmospheric pollution and negatively affect human health. The shift from organic-solvent paints to water-borne paints in the vehicle body painting process, which is one of the major sources of VOC emissions in automobile manufacturing, is an important step in promoting further reduction of VOCs.

TMC intends to reduce VOCs even more - the Fourth Toyota Environmental Action Plan (FY2006-2010) states a FY2010 goal to reduce VOC emissions to an average of 25g/m2 or less on all paint lines, and, to achieve this goal, TMC is currently expanding introduction of water-borne paints to the vehicle body surfacer coat (middle coat) painting process and to bumper painting lines.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's important to note, that this is water-borne paint, not water based-paint.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Oops, sometimes I type stuff too fast and don't pay attention. Topic subject has been corrected.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey, I've tried to look it up on the internet-- as far as the difference between water-based and water-borne-- and everything I can find seems to indicate that it's the same thing. That it uses water to carry the pigment to the substrate, not a solvent.
Anyone else have more info?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if this is why the paint is really delicate on the cars...
Old 04-09-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess the terms water-based and water-borne are sometimes used interchangeably. But water-based implies that water is somehow a key ingredient in the paint. Whereas, water-borne implies that the water is merely a vehilce for the pigment.

I, however, am no expert.

BTW, I was just noting the description in the article just in case there is a difference.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Chimmy3
I wonder if this is why the paint is really delicate on the cars...
It's possible. Older, and more environmentally unfriendly paints are probably stronger.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have one question, what does this have to do with the tC paint?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah, this technique is using water as a carrier agent for the powdered enamel particles in the paint. They spray/dust the paint onto the parts then bake them to melt the enamel together, and give it adhesion.

Admittedly it is definitely not going to be as durable as a traditional petro-solvent enamel, but definitely cheaper, and less hazardous to the workers and environment.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by bBlover
I have one question, what does this have to do with the tC paint?
tCs are produced in Japan, so chances are the paint is/was/will be applied by using the water-borne process...