Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota Full-Size Diesel and Hybrid in '09

Toyota Thinks Big: Full-Size Diesel and Hybrid Coming to States in '09
Date posted: 01-05-2006

TOKYO — Toyota is secretly planning a big diesel pickup truck for the U.S. market and will add a hybrid as well, according to a report in Tokyo.

In a move to counter soaring energy prices and stifle accusations of building gas guzzlers, Toyota is going eco-friendly with the next Tundra. Sort of.

In the works is a new big-block diesel V8, an engine Toyota plans to drop into the new Tundra and build at the rate of 70,000 units per year out of its new greenfield TMMTX plant in San Antonio, Texas, that opens this year. However, the diesel is apparently still three years away.

To ramp up the pickup's eco image, a new high-efficiency V8 and a gas-electric hybrid are also reportedly in the works. The diesel will be Toyota's first such unit in the United States and comes at a time when Nissan is also actively looking at building a diesel Titan.

What this means to you: Toyota's golden these days in the United States, thanks to the sophisticated super-green image of the Prius. Can it work now the same kind of magic with the Tundra? Give it marks for trying, anyway.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108724
Old 01-07-2006, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, Toyota has targeted 600+ ft. lbs. of torque for that diesel in a fullsized heavy-duty work version of the new upcoming Tundra.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xB_Factor
BTW, Toyota has targeted 600+ ft. lbs. of torque for that diesel in a fullsized heavy-duty work version of the new upcoming Tundra.
They better shoot higher. GM and Dodge already make that now. Should be interesting to see if they build their own or have someone make it for them. Thats a lot of HD trucks they must be planning on if they can build 70k diesel engines. What is their sales goal?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just heard 600+ ft. lbs. That could mean anything.....650....700 pounds, who knows?

They say the engine is being developed as a joint venture between Toyota and Asin (Toyota Supplier). Presumably Toyota will actually build the engine once production begins.

As for production numbers? Don't know. But that will give them 2 plants to produce the new Tundra......although TMMI (Indiana) has to share production volumn with the Sequoia and Sienna. TMMTX (Texas) will be nothing but Tundras.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

finally! an import Heavy duty truck that doesnt say fuso on it.

i would love to have a dually tundra in black cherry pearl towing my xB

ill be keping eye on this story
Old 01-07-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those you may not know, this is the direction of the new Tunrda in terms of looks/design. The interior may be a little over-the-top here, but the sheetmetal is probably close.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...oyota/ftx.html

BTW, the gas V8 is expected to be a 5.4L unit developing 300-350hp.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im just sick of the bigger and bigger size trucks...new Tundra looks like it will look nice, but I dont think it will compete with any of the domestic diesels...may need way better fuel economy and a way better price...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GooseNaBoxxx
Im just sick of the bigger and bigger size trucks...new Tundra looks like it will look nice, but I dont think it will compete with any of the domestic diesels...may need way better fuel economy and a way better price...
Yeah, I agree with you on the "bigger and bigger" thing. There's no need for the average person to own these types of trucks. However, the reality is there are people who need the ability to carry lots of peolpe and gear and to tow/haul heavy loads....whether for work or pleasure. I just hate to see the guy who drives his 1-ton extended cab V10 dually to the store to pick up milk.

BTW, I see no reason why the new heavy duty Tundra won't compete well with the heavy duty domestics. The Tundra will be no more expensive than a comparably equipped Big-3 product. Drop in at your local Ford or GM dealership and check out some of the prices. Skip the 2 wheel drive regular cab price-leaders and go straight for the serious stuff. Just a couple of months ago, I saw a 1-ton dually extended cab for F-350 with the Power Stroke V8 diesel and all the buttons..........56K.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...with a hybrid Tundra , the torque would be however the electric motors were clutched . the motors would be on each wheel .
..class 1 license : vehicles less than 80" in width .
.. the "new" tundra : 79.9"...that's a big mother