Notices

Toyota System Detects Drunk Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

^^^ I have a 2006 TnG DR150, had it since March and I love it (though it has been a little chilly to ride lately even here in Tucson). I got my father into it before I could afford one, and he now has a Stella.

Tucson is perfect for it since we don't believe in freeways (all we have is I-10).
Old 01-06-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I don't know about where yall live, but here you can get caught 15 - 20 times blow a 3.0 each time and you won't even get a ticket, and even if you do get ticketed every time the worst they will do is put a breathelizer in your car, arkansas almost never takes a dl away from someone for drunk driver, but get 3 or 4 speeding tickets a year, and you'll loose it quick
Old 01-06-2007, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaj2002
I don't know about where yall live, but here you can get caught 15 - 20 times blow a 3.0 each time and you won't even get a ticket, and even if you do get ticketed every time the worst they will do is put a breathelizer in your car, arkansas almost never takes a dl away from someone for drunk driver, but get 3 or 4 speeding tickets a year, and you'll loose it quick
. . . and there is our problem. It's roughly the same thing here. I'm not sure about the levels or anything but I know that you've pretty much got to kill someone here before they really do anything. Same thing here on the speeding tickets. They'll pull your license if you have too many parking tickets but they won't stop you if you've been caught multiple times for drunk driving.

I would like to think it's just a southern problem (inbreeding + nascar=drunk driving) but sadly I suspect it's that way for much of the nation.

My perspective (take it for what it's worth): If you care so little about those around you that you'll risk their lives so you can get your drunk on, you need to be removed from the possibility of harming them. I believe being caught once for drunk driving should be enough to warrant removing your ability to operate a motor vehicle.

Which ironically sorta blends in with scooters. In North Carolina you'll see loads of scooters. It's because they don't require a license to drive them there. They have some nickname for them there (the name escapes me at the moment) that has something to do with being a drunk driver that now has to ride a scooter.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

they let them off here even after hitting a bus load of kids and killing several, and about 50% of the time the offenders are illegal aliens, and taking away the liscence doesn't do squat, I say let them rot in jail for a few years
Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i say bad idea, if i had this, i'd try to push the limits to see how much it would take to trigger the toyota sensors.... and i'm sure there's a bunch of other dumbass 20 y.o's out there like me who would do the same....
Old 01-08-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well here in florida you have your music up to where a police officer can hear it over 20 feet and you get a ticket, and if you get pulled over with a dui you goto jail (over night) get out goto cort, get off on a reckless driving and pay a couple of fines. i like the idea but i think they should come up with somthing more down the lines of a keyless entry on all houses because i swear i try to unlock my house with my car key lol.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

lol you know that would actually be the better idea, if you had a keyless entry (remote like the new camrys and avalons) that could detect the alcohol, and lock the car and starter so even if you did get into the car it wouldn't start
Old 01-11-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

the problem with all this is what about those like myself that are bartenders we dont drink but we get lage amounts of booze on our hands from pouring drinks and also from cleaning at the end of the night.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

well it could be breath related or something like that, not sure, I'd love to see a bulletproof method for keeping those that drink off the streets when they have been drinking
Old 01-11-2007, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iKevin
Originally Posted by oldmanatee
And what about people that don't ever drink? Why do we have to pay for this technology and lug it around wherever we go?
I couldn't agree more . . . It's like fingerprinting everyone that enters walmart because someone got caught shoplifting.
Just in case a drunk person tries to steal your car
Old 01-12-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

What if you are wearing gloves?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member

This is great for all those crappy drivers that we all know shouldn't even be on the road. The ones that we wonder, "how the hell did they get their license?!?!?!" Hahaha!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

good idea, but so many problems that would become of it, how many freeway wrecks would their be from people driving their car and it shuttin down in the freeway. the fear of a DUI should deter most, but obviously not. DUI's are not cool...take it from someone that has one, actually it is the reason i am here posting today, no dui, no scion!

I was being a dumbass and drivin wasted and hit two mailboxes and ya know....I juss thank god i didnt hurt or kill anyone in the process, Totalled my 1991 plymouth laser turbo and thats why i got the scion - i got a good job and quit drivin drunk! no problems fer me as of yet(knock on wood) exept for the damn popo harassin me about the 5% tint,,,,

One of my friends got a DUI because some drunk dude hit her and they both got DUIs haha ____ty but ironic - she was makin fun of me that day for gettin my DUI - karma is a _____!

anyways...more simple than a system in a car that judges if you are drunk or not, how ABOUT HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR THE LIVES OF YOURSELF AND THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU!

The End.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys are talking about paying for this technology if you dont drink, but how many innocent ppl are killed because of some drunk driver? if every car has it, it could save your life too.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or you can end up rear ending the person in front of you because of the vehicle in front of you just stops cause it has this in it..

i think it would be alot better if it reported it to the local authorities..like its activates GPS and vehicle information to the authorities..

the swerving problems with this thing would also be a problem.... let me ask you this "ever try driving the box on the highway on a really windy day".. keeping the vehicle straight in this conditions can sometimes be tough as it is..
Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

no what the toyota thing does it keeps the cars from starting in the first place
Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

all this is great, but what we really need, is tougher penalties on those that drive drunk, that's all there is to it. DUI should be the worst offense you can get. (DUI = drunk, on weed, coke, speed, heroin, w/e)
Old 01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

3rd or fourth most in my opinion, 2nd worst or worst as far as cars go, anything related to children would be the worst penalty
Old 01-18-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with several others. Increase the penalties for DUI. If you drink and drive and get caught, your life is ruined. That would drastically reduce the cases of it.

This technology is rediculous. There are all kinds of potential issues. I seriously doubt it will ever see the light of day. I'm sure it would also be expensive.

Toyota needs to stop wasting time on worthless features like this and self-parking cars, and just design nice-looking, highly reliable, and good performance (for their product segment) vehicles. They should differentiate their cars by being better than others rather than worthless technology.

I bought a Scion xA because it appeared to be highly reliable, looked unique (and better than most econo-hatches), had decent space for such a small car, and gets good gas mileage. I have nothing against Toyota, but I'm not a cheerleader for them either. If I wouldn't have bought the Scion, I probably wouldn't have bought any other Toyota.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I agree with the self parking car etc. and that the xA looks much better than other econo-hatches (that followed it btw). But I think that Toyota does make cars that are better, with better performance. I wish the tech in our eggs and boxes was worse actually, the ECU fights tuning. I mean actively "correcting" for things like I/H/E setups.

Quick Reply: Toyota System Detects Drunk Drivers