Toyota In Talks To Launch Scion-Branded TV Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Toyota In Talks To Launch Scion-Branded TV Show

Toyota's Scion division is ramping up its efforts within the independent and underground music world, with negotiations to launch a reality TV show called "Stomping Grounds," starring hip hop artists who cruise around (in Scion vehicles) the neighborhoods they grew up in.

The company's music marketing firm shot the first of these starring Bismarky, according to Patrick Courrielche, managing director of the agency, Inform Ventures, an LA based lifestyle marketing firm handling music marketing ventures for Scion.

Courrielche confirmed that the agency and Scion have approached networks about the show. "Right now its in film festivals, but we are approaching networks about licensing the show and making a series out of it. That's how we would approach it, as a Scion-branded show, with Scion cars in it," he says.

"There is definite interest, but its a grey area. It's starting to happen more often, but there's not an industry-standard way to approach it. But Scion is on board and they are involved with conversations." Scion wasn't available for comment.

Scion has been involved with music since its inception, with a focus on regional artists with an underground following. Courrielche says the program expanded with an MC competition in 2004 called "Next Up," in which artists submitted tracks, and Scion and Inform Ventures had a panel of industry judges who selected the best artist. Inform created a music video and tour, infused with Scion branding and product.

But he says the program has evolved into something more: "We are giving artists the feel of label support without their being locked in." Today, Scion will launch a program using hip-hop producer Hi-TEC, who has produced for 50 Cent and JAY-Z, among others.

As part of the program, "The Prospect," he will select a promising hip-hop artist, record his music and make a music video, while Inform Ventures develops a marketing program and a mini-tour for the artist. The winner of the program will be chosen in July, based on submissions to scionprospect.com.

The agency runs a program for Scion called Sessions, involving some 40 underground music events per month in a variety of markets small and large.

"Scion targeted the underground music community as a place they wanted to be, in terms of where the innovation was, " Courrielche says. "We noticed that in every market we were going to there was some form of this kind of underground music community. Scion decided to do it more widespread , blanket the country with sponsoring events."

"Scion realized they had to create these experiences and be authentic. They generate good will because these events wouldnt be happening in these markets without Scion."

*Article by Karl Greenberg at MediaPost.com
Old 04-14-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

OK .. I might watch an episode or two ....

Why not try a show based around those of us who actually work on our cars, scout for talent and give us a shot at big time custom work with our own Scion sponsored shop. Isn't that what they have really based these cars around?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz

Why not try a show based around those of us who actually work on our cars, scout for talent and give us a shot at big time custom work with our own Scion sponsored shop. Isn't that what they have really based these cars around?
^^^Good answer^^^
Thats exactly what I thought about while reading it. Besides we dont need another hiphop show anyways.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

repost https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...highlight=hope
Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with we don't need another hip hop show. i think if your gonna support music be it underground it should be across the board. there are many artist waiting and working hard to get there music out there still. with no breaks given. making a show would be mainstreaming in my oppinion.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also agree that another hip hop show isn't needed. Especially with "Bismarky." LOL...what journalism.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just wondering if there is a rapper out there named Bismarky in an effort to steal fans and listeners.

Actually, a hip hop based show isn't a bad idea considering how safe an idea it is. However, I'd rather see a show based with indie rock, not underground hip hop. Though rock stars are generally less pretentious and wouldn't worry as much about tuning their car, so for a show based off a tuner car...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hip Hop artist cruising around to their old neighborhoods.

That sounds about as interesting as watching grass grow, seriously this "Scion" branded show would be better if it focused on "real" people and clubs that were involved in building, showing, and racing their cars. To me a lifestyle show should be about persons in said lifestyle, not iced out musicians who don't cruise in a Scion to begin with.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you ever stopped and counted the number of car race/build shows there are? There's quite a few of them, but it's definitely possible that there are new angles to work on. Perhaps take 20 entrants from around the country, and focus on weekly challenges to earn the spot of Top Tuner and big ole giant set of prizes including tools and a new Scion? Sounds a little too Bravoish at first, but it could work, and Scion could be branded all over the place.

BTW, Scion has always worked from the music end of things, and allowing the tuner crowd that is also into the music to follow.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the first episode is good then I might watch it again, I'm not a big fan of reality TV show .
Old 04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hip hop stars in their old 'hoods??? If bugs screw up our paint, imagine what bullets will do.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz

or people that work at scion dealers. the exciting down time of a scion salesman. I think i'm pretty entertaining. you must be too if you sell cars. you can only entertain yourself for so long without going crazy in a show room.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An exciting episode oof...PIMP MY DESK.....
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Unless someone from Fuel or Poison is getting to ride in a Scion, I dont think they'll be anywhere near my house.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i think a scion branded tv show is a step backward in the marketing department. the whole underground image they've fought to establish could completely dissolve at the words "brought to you by scion." as a musician in an indie rock band, i would definitely like to see them promote more varied types of music. however, this is all coming out of la where "ethnic" music is a huge part of everyone's culture. the underground hip hop scene is still viable, producing music that is actually creative, so i can't really blame them.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

count me out...if its not about the owners and only about the brand/hip hop crap culture please...i can watch the fox reality TV network for that BS honestly..

People who love scions and build them are what makes the brand not 50cent and dolla bill and whatever the frick else c'rappers they wanna sign or hire..

Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default "Interesting"

Ok !!don't nock it till you TRY IT!! maybe other things will evolve from this show like for sample NOPI,HIN, they all started somewere, Scion has been in the culture world right from the start so is fair to say that now is going back to its roots to see what every body thinks??creative minds is what make this world so interesting and if you follow some of the mods and trends its all a big mix of many ideas from the pass and "future" Scion what moves you"...