Notices

Toyota Tundra CrewMax Spotted!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Waste

Originally Posted by xbboxjdm
Bubble2Box,

I entirely agree with you. The only reason America still lives with the bigger is better adage is due to cheap gas prices. I'm personally in favor of increasing the gas tax such that the per/gallon cost is $4.00. Americans need to rid of their imperial attitudes and realize that we are all here to share one supply of hydrocarbons. While the US constitutes for only 5% of the worlds population, they consume 25% of the world’s collective resources. As a good contrast, the state of California consumes more carbons per day than the entire country of Japan. It comes as no surprises though, just look at the Japanese people and culture; they have efficiency and smaller is better written all over their society.
Yea intresting point of view and other countries are more advanced in that they use resources better Vs the United States.The United States isn't that Lucky last years gas hike's at the pump's really defined the whole bigger is better attitude in that we had to review our driving habit's and used less trips and even trade in the worst cast to something with better MPG . Wile I personally dont see a need for a $4.00 plus gas price what i do see is some serious advanced measures coming from Car companies to product more efficenct engine's and better advancments coming from Hybrids.Toyota made is very clear they are researcing a Hybrid Tundra in the near future and wile that can be a very complex design on a full sized v8 truck that will tow in around 10k it's very possible to achieve in the near future.The biggest drawback on Hybrids on trucks is that Weight and batteries on a pickup truck all play's a huge roll on Mpg so it point's out some rather huge drawbacks on such an advanced system but it's very possible in the near future. Silverado Hybrids truck is a Joke.

cheer's ERIK
Old 11-30-2006, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Why??

Originally Posted by xbboxjdm
What is the purpose of such a huge truck? Probobly less than 20% of truck buyers actively use their trucks for their intended purpose. I consistently see teeny little woman driving big HEMI rams around town for the hell of it. I'm appaled by such waste and disregard for natural resources.

As far as the Tundra goes, yeah, it looks nice and promising, but is it necessary? This is totally out of character for Toyota, they would have never done this if Ford and GM didn't have their behemeths.
The purpose is to haul and pull stuff. However, only 10-20% of the time do 90% of the truck owners need to haul or pull stuff, this accounts for you seeing teeny women driving them a lot of the time.

There's also marketing. People buy the Titan because of it's giagantic towing capacity, "just in case". They have no intention of heading down to the boat store to plop down $60g's on a big ole fishing boat, but they do dream.

Toyota is building this because Ford and Chevy sell about 2 million of these high profit beasts a year, and they want in on the action. You're fooling yourself to think that none of these buyers are going to switch. In several markets, right now the Tundra outsells the almighty F-150. The biggest hurdle Toyota has is not convicing bubba to switch out, but in overcomming their incredible fleet sells which account for a vast majority domestic sells. There are plenty of domestic buyers that don't consider the current Tundra "Full Size". In addition, there plenty of them that have been waiting for decades for Toyota to build this thing.

Why should Toyota leave the truck market to the Big 3? That doesn't make competive sense. If there are going to be 2.1 million fullsize truck sales/year, w/ or w/o this Tundra, wouldn't you rather see a larger portion of them the safer more fuel efficient Tundra? Toyota offers more than it's fair share of 30mpg cars that cost ,$20k. However, in an effort to bolster the bottom line (which, in turn fuels more R&D) Toyota needs to build this truck.

Oh, and then there's the best part, the new Tundra will get better milage than the old Tundra.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Why??

Oh, and then there's the best part, the new Tundra will get better milage than the old Tundra.
Get better mpg over the older Tundra I doubt it from my insider source the 5.7 liter v8 with 6 speed is on par with the current 4.7 liter vvti on mpg...
Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you increase the size, weight, and horsepower this dramatically, and you get the same mpg, that's a win.

This Tundra is the first step. Later models will include either high efficiency diesel or a hybrid.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

That Crew Max IS larger than the Dodge Mega Cab. By a few inches, actually.

BIll Walton and Kareem Abdul Jabar can fit in the back seat comfortably. I've seen it.

And I've driven it. Two words: AWE INSPIRING.

I'm very excited for the launch. First press conference on the first day of the Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS). That will be the talk of the show.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Actually, I think the Dodge Mega Cab is one inch longer than the Crew Max, but it's an inch. Who cares?

I have also driven this truck, abused it actually. It's freakin' great.

I keep telling people that it's a good thing I'm dead in love with my xB otherwise I'd be in for one of these.

People will really enjoy the truck and it WILL be extremely capable.

If you want to know a little more swing by your local dealership and ask for the Truck Champion. They should have some literature for you and be able to answer a few questions.

Can't wait for February.

-Alex
Old 12-01-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The proportions of this look a lot better than the regular Tundra. Especially the way it looks like the wheelbase doesn't look so stretched.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Funny that Grizzly should mention the Truck Champion! Actually, since he's driven it, too, I imagine that he's one, too.

We have the power!! ha!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, what a beast!

Remember, the possibility of a hybrid Tundra is a marketing exercise so that our fellow countrypeople can feel like they know something about saving the environment.

Want to be more efficient? Bring diesels to the market! Make a diesel Tundra, and as young, non-brand loyal contractors and businesspeople starting buying Tundras for their fleets, the demand for diesel should rise. This should help alleviate the problem of few diesel refueling pumps relative to their gasoline/petrol counterparts.

Now a DIESEL hybrid is something that is promising...

The only problem is that people:
1) Don't think for themselves so they still think diesels are all heavy, black-smoke billowing, shaking wastemobiles. Heck, even a few of MY friends actually thought this.
2) Oil companies really don't want to see the #1 consumer of oil (we are still #1 in this respect, correct?) become more efficient. They initially lowered prices to create more demand. Now look, I had to fill up for $2.2x something, making my total at somewhere around $25 - it used to be $21. Stupid... it's all about manipulating the market then releasing press releases talking about the scarcity of oil and supply and demand... forget it.

In a DIY world like that of many large truck buyers, the oil companies' worst nightmare are people buying large, readily-available diesels and converting them to alternative fuels such as vegetable oil.

Of course, it will take several years to start seeing diesels probably, since it requires yet another round of development. boo.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member

i think the truck will definetly outsell any ford, mopar, or gm product for that line up
Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lilbluxb
i think the truck will definetly outsell any ford, mopar, or gm product for that line up
That's gonna be tough. Ford sells 980k F-150's year. Toyota's still has yet to crack 200k. You have to remember, Ford, GM, and Dodge are heavily involved with fleet sells, especially Ford. Many companies have "American Only" policies as well. It won't be easy to beat them at their own game, but there is great reward for taking a mere 20% of their sells.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Wow, what a beast!

Remember, the possibility of a hybrid Tundra is a marketing exercise so that our fellow countrypeople can feel like they know something about saving the environment.

Want to be more efficient? Bring diesels to the market! Make a diesel Tundra, and as young, non-brand loyal contractors and businesspeople starting buying Tundras for their fleets, the demand for diesel should rise. This should help alleviate the problem of few diesel refueling pumps relative to their gasoline/petrol counterparts.

Now a DIESEL hybrid is something that is promising...

The only problem is that people:
1) Don't think for themselves so they still think diesels are all heavy, black-smoke billowing, shaking wastemobiles. Heck, even a few of MY friends actually thought this.
2) Oil companies really don't want to see the #1 consumer of oil (we are still #1 in this respect, correct?) become more efficient. They initially lowered prices to create more demand. Now look, I had to fill up for $2.2x something, making my total at somewhere around $25 - it used to be $21. Stupid... it's all about manipulating the market then releasing press releases talking about the scarcity of oil and supply and demand... forget it.

In a DIY world like that of many large truck buyers, the oil companies' worst nightmare are people buying large, readily-available diesels and converting them to alternative fuels such as vegetable oil.

Of course, it will take several years to start seeing diesels probably, since it requires yet another round of development. boo.
Most HD trucks which Toyota doesnt yet have are diesel.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member

The new Tundra is the product of Toyota listening to their current and prospective customer's desires, plain and simple. It's big (for a Toyota) and the company has invested billions to get it right. They've even 'talked' their dealers into investing in the future (facilities improvements, etc). Toyota's current ad slogan is 'Moving Forward' which, if you look at sales, it appears that's what they're doing. I've always enjoyed my ownership experiences with the brand, consider myself brand loyal (plus I work for a dealer), and always look forward to what's up Toyota sleeve next. They're touting it as the most important launch in company history, and from a dollar perspective I'd imagine it is. FWIW, the 'offical' information I recieved a couple of months ago from the regional Truck Manager states the new Tundra will come with three different bed sizes, 5.5, 6.5 and 8 foot lengths.

Mark
Old 12-03-2006, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from the looks of it toyota is doing a better job than nissan did which will help them a lot. they did their homework. you cant just sell 1 truck and hope it fits everybody. it wont. you need to offer different engines, cabs, rwd/4wd, and bed sizes.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member

No kidding...but Nissan can't afford to manufacture more than one truck...they're in almost as much trouble as the domestics, even with Renault on board.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ra24man
No kidding...but Nissan can't afford to manufacture more than one truck...they're in almost as much trouble as the domestics, even with Renault on board.
I suppose Nissan could be taking the Toyota approach and they will slowly improve and it may take a redesign or 2 before they get it right. They do have an HD truck on the way in a few years.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by emiller
I suppose Nissan could be taking the Toyota approach and they will slowly improve and it may take a redesign or 2 before they get it right. They do have an HD truck on the way in a few years.
Nissan's major issue isn't with variety, it's with quality. They are still skating by on their reputation, but doing an outstanding job of destroying that, one ticked off owner at a time.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Originally Posted by emiller
Nissan's major issue isn't with variety, it's with quality. They are still skating by on their reputation, but doing an outstanding job of destroying that, one ticked off owner at a time.
They do have a quality problem. But that goes for many things they make. They also make a 1 size fits all truck. Not everybody wants to get the big v8 and not everybody wants the standard bed. However making it right would go a lot farther than making multiple versions and its easier to make 1 thing right than 5 things right.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

emiller wrote:

[table:d2ec95edb5]from the looks of it toyota is doing a better job than nissan did which will help them a lot. they did their homework. you cant just sell 1 truck and hope it fits everybody. it wont. you need to offer different engines, cabs, rwd/4wd, and bed sizes. [/table:d2ec95edb5]

I totally agree Nissan bought into the Big 3's mentality and Hype that all truck buyers want V8's and extra/Crew cabs. That somewhats explain why they have been slow to offer Hyrids and more fuel efficient vehicles.
Toyota's best plan is to offer real variety. Most trucks sell in V6's and Diesel forms than V8 and if Hyrid can get close to V6, but not as bad V8 it should do well.
Also as stated earlier Fleet sales will be most important.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

...and now Toyota announces the truck...

December 5, 2006 – Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. will stage the world premiere of the all-new 2007 Tundra CrewMax full-size pickup at a press conference at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The four-door CrewMax will offer the most room, versatility and storage in the Tundra lineup.

Larger in every dimension than the model it replaces, the 2007 Tundra is available in 31 model configurations, with a choice between 4x2 and 4x4 drivetrains, and towing capacity of more than 10,000 lbs. This second-generation Tundra offers three cab styles, three wheelbases, three bed lengths, three engines, and three trim levels.

The next-generation Tundra was designed and engineered in the United States and will be assembled exclusively at the company's truck plants in Texas and Indiana.

The press conference will be held on Sunday, January 7 at 12:10 PM Eastern Time in the Riverview Ballroom in COBO Center and simulcast live to the Toyota display area at the show. A video clip of the press conference will be available for viewing following the event on the Toyota.com website.

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra CrewMax Spotted!