5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yaris is "greener" than Prius

Scion should be on the list

Bon
Allscion -- an e-commerce website with news and accessories for your Scions
http://www.allscion.com/store

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/228261/
A report from Cardiff University Business School has listed cars based on their environmental impact, and it's small, light vehicles that lead the way.

A separate report from Cardiff also reckons that there will be no problem in meeting the EU's planned 130g/km CO2 emissions target.

According to the author, car industry expert Dr Paul Nieuwenhuis, one of the few stumbling blocks towards lowering emissions is the trend towards heavier, higher-performance vehicles.

Dr Nieuwenhuis says that it will take more than hybrid technology and alternative fuels sufficiently to lower the CO2 output of these luxury vehicles. Nieuwenhuis reckons that new, lightweight technology will be needed to make bigger vehicles more efficient, while smaller vehicles will be able to rely on existing technologies and weight-reduction.

It's no surprise then, that it's small, light cars that top the list of environmentally friendly cars rated according to their whole-life environmental impact. In a similar manner to an American report issued last year, everything from day to day emissions to the C02 created during manufacturing was looked at, as well as the impact of scrapping cars.

The now out-of-production Smart Roadster tops the list, while the Toyota Prius comes a mere 12th. Here's the run-down of the top 12 most environmentally friendly cars:

Smart Roadster

Smart Fortwo cabriolet

Citroen C1 1.0i

Peugeot 107 1.0i

Citroen C1 1.4 HDi

Panda 1.2 Dualogic

Ford Ka 1.3 Duratec

Toyota Yaris 1.0

Fiat Panda 100HP

Peugeot 206 1.4

Mini Cooper D

Toyota Prius

It's worth noting, of course, that, that the two top-ranking Smarts can only take two passengers, but the report's compilers say they used methodology that took into account each vehicle's size. Either way, there's no way round the basic physics that it requires less energy to move a low-mass object than a high-mass one.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

perhaps the xa would have made the list next to the yaris 1.0 if it had the same 1litre engine... 14 seconds to 60 in a 5 speed doesnt sound like a lot of fun though...
Old 09-27-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thats kinda funny that these big bad standard gasoline cars are better on the environment than the almighty hybrid.
but then again, the USDM Yaris doesn't come in a 1.0l engine. We get the "beefy" 1.5!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wait, so if I were to take a Smart Roadster, rip out the stock engine, cut out the firewall and floorplan and put in a hyabusa motor, it won't be fuel efficient anymore?

:O
Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course, the thing is that they aren't big bad standard gasoline cars. They're really fast riding lawnmowers with enclosed cabins. The Prius is the biggest thing in the list.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how come my suv wasn't listed on there
Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Yaris on that list is equipped with a 1.0L engine, which no Scion has ever used.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For it's cargo capacity, I think the xB is better than all of those cars.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

my statement was in complete sarcasm ... dont mind me

what I was simply pointing out, for all the tree hugging environmentalists, who go on and on about e85, hybrid motors, and all that jazz, the top 11 out of 12 are all gasoline engines. Granted, alot of that is euro, so very likely diesel also, I guess, but still.

there are 11 cars that don't use hybrid technology, arent flex fuel vehicles, and aside from being very low powered engines that use little fuel to begine with ... they are all good ol fashioned internal combustion. No battieres or deep fryers for these guys.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would drive a Yaris because they're too small and driftl ike crazy
Old 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are 4 cars on there that are from Peugeot and Citroen. It should be pointed out that those cars pollute less because they don't start.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB, xA, Yaris all have the same motor anyway, freakin small!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Yaris puts out less emissions than the prius, but the Prius gets getter milage, due to the synergy drive technology...I wonder if they would've taken that into account.

What I mean is, uhhh, hmmm...I just confused myself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Yaris puts out less emissions but uses more fuel, so technically, it would put out more emissins over time, right?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is pretty cool but its not surprising
Old 09-29-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_rayted711
The Yaris puts out less emissions than the prius, but the Prius gets getter milage, due to the synergy drive technology...I wonder if they would've taken that into account.

What I mean is, uhhh, hmmm...I just confused myself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Yaris puts out less emissions but uses more fuel, so technically, it would put out more emissins over time, right?
Pruis gets downgraded because of the battery life. Those things arent real good for the environment.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^True, but do the batteries put out CO2? That's what the article was revolving around, I think. It just seems that the more fuel used, the more emissions. I understand that the 'gas' part of the prius is not as clean, but over distance, the Prius should be cleaner. Of course there is now way to tet that aspect of it while sitting on a smog machine in a booth somewhere...LOL.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SSQ
There are 4 cars on there that are from Peugeot and Citroen. It should be pointed out that those cars pollute less because they don't start.
Oh c'mon! I don't know why there's so much french bashing here in the US........ let's be a bit mature........ plus, when said cars burst into flames, the fumes released into the air evens out all the times the car doesn't start.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Green? A prius is one of the LEAST green car's on the planet. A car isn't green because it has the least amount of carbon emissions when it is running. A car is green because it didn't take a lot to make it, run it, doesn't pollute, and can be recycled. The prius takes FAR more energy to make and operate. The original xB is one of the best green car's made.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Guess what the number one reason is that people by a prius. Not is is not gas milage, it is so OTHER people know that they care about the environment. I hate hybrid drivers. They are a bunch of pius a-holes.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Prius is a sweet car in my opinion. It's overpriced though.

Quick Reply: Yaris is "greener" than Prius