Notices

Yaris is "greener" than Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guess what the number one reason is that people by a prius. Not is is not gas milage, it is so OTHER people know that they care about the environment. I hate hybrid drivers. They are a bunch of pius a-holes.
That was a mature comment. How many Prus drivers do you actually know? It also suggests that you don't care about the environment. I'm not saying that's bad, that's just the impression you're leaving.

How many people on this board know Toyota uses veggie oil to make the plastic instead of good ol' dino? How many people know this is also more expensive?

The Prius takes more CO2 to produce than a standard car, but over the life of the car, when comparing similar sized cars, that after about 20k miles the Prius then breaks even with a regular car and over 5 years it will have consumed significantly less C02. Also Toyota will recycle your batteries for you. So yeah, that does cost more.

Having said that, no the Prius is not the solution, my preference would be for something all electric, but it's a good product. There are many reasons to purchase a Prius. One reason is the fuel efficiency and another is the "green" aspect. If you care about something, you put your money where you mouth is. If C02 emissions are important to you and you plan to own your car for 5 years, then the Prius is a pretty good choice.

I don't own one, but everyone I know whose bought one is really happy with the car and they really like how they can drive 400 miles on a 9 gallon tank.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quote:
Guess what the number one reason is that people by a prius. Not is is not gas milage, it is so OTHER people know that they care about the environment. I hate hybrid drivers. They are a bunch of pius a-holes.

...Im suddenly reminded of a south park episode...
Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of my teachers (biology, figures right?) has a Prius for it's safety rating and gas mileage.

It is a good car, but the xB can get 320 miles on 11.5 gallons. Not bad for not having hybrid stuff.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by azepolyn
my statement was in complete sarcasm ... dont mind me
what I was simply pointing out, for all the tree hugging environmentalists, who go on and on about e85, hybrid motors, and all that jazz, the top 11 out of 12 are all gasoline engines. Granted, alot of that is euro, so very likely diesel also, I guess, but still.
there are 11 cars that don't use hybrid technology, arent flex fuel vehicles, and aside from being very low powered engines that use little fuel to begine with ... they are all good ol fashioned internal combustion. No battieres or deep fryers for these guys.
And those top 11 out of 12 that you so lovingly refer to ARE NOT EVEN SOLD IN THE US! So that makes the Prius the best car in the US and the tree huggers correct and ahead of the US auto industry in efficiency and forward thinking.

Thanks again for revealling just how right the environmentalists were to embrace hybrid technology in a world of gas wasting rolling ranchhand bumpers.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

It should also be noted that out of the top 12 cars, how many of them are easily accessible here in the USA? 4?