Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Anyone with Yellow Headlights?? Or am I soon to be the 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone with Yellow Headlights?? Or am I soon to be the 1st?

I know someone has to have yellow headlights. Pictures would be sweet, especially HIDs. How has the police been with it? I'm getting tired of cops always stopping me for the blueish HIDs and am feeling a change. I'm feeling yellow headlights as I don't see them often.

I've seen plenty of fogs, but no headlights. Get me some pictures because I know someone has to have done it. And yea, I did try searching for over an hour...

JOE
Old 11-22-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do believe yellow headlights are illegal.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, they are but I dont think I would get in trouble with them. I think cops only give people a hard time with the blue HIDs is because cop lights are blue. Yellows are legal for fogs in Jersey but illegal for headlights. I just feel I would be bothered less than with the blueish ones I have now...

Anyone with some pics? And since when did being illegal mean people didn't do it to their car, lol
Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone have an official source on yellow headlights being illegal? I was under the impression that headlights had to be somewhere on the color scale from yellow through cool white. I have seen stock lights on older cars which are close to yellow, and some cars come with yellow running lights.

For the record, I have PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow for my running lights. It looks awesome at night, but of course, it would be stupid to drive with just the running lights. When I turn on my headlights, the yellow is gone. I was thinking about getting the same color for my headlights.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm, well, this is the official word from the CHP website:

"Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package."

However, I have also found online listings for PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow headlight bulbs which state that they are DOT approved and legal in all 50 states. I wonder how this would work out in terms of legality. If you get pulled over, perhaps keep the packaging in your car to prove the bulbs are street legal?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know in Jersey heads are white (or the halogen offwhite). Fogs can be yellow, offwhite, or white. I don't feel like looking right now, but I am positive. Cali might be different with the laws, so it doesn't make sense for me to show you, but in Jersey I am positive that's the law.

I've seen HID heads only two times, and one time it was paired with fogs and looked really nice.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
Hmmm, well, this is the official word from the CHP website:

"Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package."

However, I have also found online listings for PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow headlight bulbs which state that they are DOT approved and legal in all 50 states. I wonder how this would work out in terms of legality. If you get pulled over, perhaps keep the packaging in your car to prove the bulbs are street legal?

Those are probably mislabled foglights. There is no way there a company can say they are legal headlights when the law prohibits them. H3 is a common size for fogs and that's probably what they are, regardless of what those headlights say.

But yea, if it's not white or the halogen offwhite, then it is illegal for headlights, and fogs must be the same color or passive yellow.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I had yellow overlays on my headlights for a while and never had a problem with police. I later removed the overlays and swapped the 9005 PIAA bulb into the low beam and have gone without incedent.
They're probably illegal everywhere but like any other illegal car modification, enforcement varies by location.

The PIAA 9005 in the high beam:

PIAA 9005 in the low beam:
Old 11-22-2007, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my friend has yellow HIDs in his rsx type-s... i hate driving in front of him. its very annoying more than the blue hids
Old 11-22-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes the yellow bulbs and HIDs are illegal to use on the streets, weather it's your low beam or fogs there still not allowed at all. i've gone through alot bulbs to test them out and i've never liked those really deep blue one ones cause it's not my #1 choice for night driving as well as voilet/purple lights although yes they do look nice at night but still not my chocie for driving. the reason why yellow lights are annoying is because they have a high output and fills the rearview mirror of the person infront. i drive with mine on cause it looks nice but i know the risk of using them so i keep a strong look out for the cops.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jonathan110987
my friend has yellow HIDs in his rsx type-s... i hate driving in front of him. its very annoying more than the blue hids
yes that is true which is why yellow is illegal as lighting. cause it blinds the person infront of you.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

you're probably not the first. But you may be the first to keep them on after several tickets for illegal lighting
Old 11-22-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I rocked yellow bulbs for 6 months. I got pulled over twice and finally ticketed the 3rd time. They asked me to change them the first two times and next I ended up with a $100 fine.

I passed many cops with them, some didn't get a crap. The person who ticketed me pulled me over the first time and again with the ticket, he was a state patrol. They look awesome but depending where you are good luck in not getting ticketed eventually.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:45 PM
SL Member

Yellow headlights can only be white or the normal sucky ones that come standard. Yellow/amber MUST be on your signal section. If you have the amber piece removed from your headlight assembly, then the bulb HAS to be amber.
Fogs can be yellow.
It is illegal for your low-beam section to be yellow no matter what.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
I had yellow overlays on my headlights for a while and never had a problem with police. I later removed the overlays and swapped the 9005 PIAA bulb into the low beam and have gone without incedent.
How are thoes to drive around with? I read somewhere that with a yellow colored beam it it easier to see in rain/weather. Or maybe the yellow is better all around? Is there any truth to this?

I assume there is a reason many GT cars use yellow overlays on their headlights...

Old 11-22-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have yellow high beams in my car, helps out greatly in the fog.. or maybe its just my imagination.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yellow increases visibility in fog better than white or blue.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any pics of white lowbeams with yellow highbeams? This is a combination I want to try.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
How are thoes to drive around with? I read somewhere that with a yellow colored beam it it easier to see in rain/weather. Or maybe the yellow is better all around? Is there any truth to this?

I assume there is a reason many GT cars use yellow overlays on their headlights...
They seemed to yeild better visibility in foul weather, but it could've been my imagination.

I think the yellow headlights in racing are used to distinguish different classes of car on the track.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the yellow headlights in racing are used to distinguish different classes of car on the track.
Yeah, the lower classes use yellow headlights and the higher classes use bright white/blue. If you are in a night race and you see yellows behind, no big deal, but if you see bright white headlights coming up behind you then you should move out of the way.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Yellow Headlights?? Or am I soon to be the 1st?