Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Backburner: Five Axis tC FRONT GRILLE! (Post #1 Update 12/9)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

so i guess no one in this tread is experiencing this recession b/c a lot of cats in here are antsy to spend this money, lol.
don't forget the stress he might be under b/c of the slow car sales. if i was close enough, i'd take a quick ride to Longo to see what the latest was.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xravexboix
unfortunately the(lack) of interest is pushing the grille into the no-go section... five axis can't justify their investment since the interest shown (100+ posted... only about 30 following through) wasn't enough to keep it going.

sorry x_x
Jeff
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well that solves that problem. Guess the thread should be locked then?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry guys... I've been tied up w/ multiple things at work and haven't been able to monitor the forums like I used to... Everyone's been taking their vacation before the year ends, so I've been covering shifts and pulling my hair out x_X

Summary if you didn't want to read everything below:
I'm sorry to say, but the grille has been placed on the backburner for now. The 100+ list on page 1 contains those that expressed interested. The actual committed group only consists of 30 people. With these numbers, it isn't a financially sound decision for Five Axis to pursue this project at this time. This project is currently being placed on the back burner and may be visited in the future if enough interest is there. The financial "break even" point for the project was 200 units. The comfort level was 100 presold units (60 to consumers, and 40 I -Longo- would commit to purchase). As mentioned, no financial transactions have taken place. All commitments were made as a simple PM stating serious interest in the item. Many offered to do a prepayment, and all declined. I've been in the GB world for years... it's never wise to collect money on a GB ESPECIALLY if the product isn't even available yet.

Backstory of how the thread started:
The thread originally started because so many people were asking me about the grille. I then began to gather interest before asking Five Axis if they wanted to pursue this project. The grille only exists on 2 vehicles. 1 being Troy's tC, and the other one is somewhere in the wild. With our original list (about 60 people when I presented it to Troy), Five Axis felt we would be able to pull it off. He requested one of his suppliers to build the prototype. The prototype was (unfortunately) of sub-part quality. It was dismissed and another manufacturer was found. Their price was a lot higher though. That's when the price announcement for the grille was made and people from the original list started backing out.

Here's the answers to all your questions since my last post on the thread:

Comment: This is a spam post.
Answer: Not at all. The project started out with great promise (over 100 tC owners expressed interest). After the pricing was announced and confirmed, interested dwindled. Due to SEMA, Five Axis wanted to wait until Nov to continue gathering interest on this project. We've been restructuring our front line parts team, so I haven't been able to check the boards as much as I used to... so that's my fault, not Five Axis'.

Comment: With over 100 others on the pre-order list I don't think its going to be a problem. I am anxious as well but do not want to end up being bound to it when money will be tight around the holidays.
Answer: The 100+ on the list are the original people that expressed interest. When it came time to commit to it (no money still, basically a confirmed "I Will Buy"), only 30 of 100 decided to actually purchase. Multiple reasons came up, but no excuses were needed. This interest (30 of 100) pushed Five Axis to look at the financial side of the situation. The "break even" point is 200 units to be sold. Five Axis' comfort level was 100 pre-sold (60 pre sold to guests, Longo to pick up an addition 40 pieces, 100 left in Five Axis' stock). Since we're way off from what his aim was (plus the economy ), it's been placed on the back burner for now.

Conclusion:
So in essence, the project is on the back burner for now. We (Five Axis and I) will still be keeping an open eye and ear on it and look for any new developments (more interest, lowered production cost/retail price, etc) though.

I'll update Page 1 w/ this info also.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you for the update... I guess VRD here i come.

p.s. I will always be interested if this ever comes to fruition.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea thanks for the update! VRD it is i guess.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

like i said before:
Originally Posted by gjpjr84
... everyone else sucks

but beyond that, since that is the verdict for now i am gonna lock this thread so it won't go on and on with unneeded posts.

to xravexboix
your more then welcomed to PM me or one of the other supermods to unlock this thread if you need it, and thanks for your help.