Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...
View Poll Results: Which Dent Removal Tool Will Work Best For Minor Dents?
Handle Suction Cups
0%
2" Suction Cups
0%
Simoniz Pops-a-Dent
0%
Ding King
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Best Dent Removal Tool...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Best Dent Removal Tool...

I've got various minor dents on the car as probably most of you do from ice/debris/rocks/whatever. Which of the following dent removal tools work best? I'm sure the bigger suction cups would work well for big dents, but for minor dents, what do you all think?

Handle Suction Cups

2" Suction Cups

Simoniz Pops-a-Dent:

Ding King:

Anyone with experience with any of these products - please speak up!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got a dent in my rear qtr panal. I thought about fixing it myself but alot of people told me that it's not a good idea to use the Dent King kit. You basically glue stuff to the paint surface to pull out the dent. Not preferred in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yea. Thats my biggest concern. The glue cannot be good for the paint, and honestly, i'd prefer to have a painted dent rather than a paintless 'non'-dent. That's why I asked about this and if anybody had any experience, b/c you said exactly what I am worried about.

How about the suction cups? Anyone ever have any success there? (I can't imagine huge success with small dents and big suction cups)
Old 03-19-2007, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ding king uses like a black hot glue to glue a post to the dented area. Doesn't seem to damage the paint at all, but then again it doesn't pull dents out either. It was the worst 20 bucks I ever spent.

Your best bet IMO would be to look for some of them strong magnets like the paintless dent repair professionals use
Old 03-19-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Really, they use magnets??? Thats interesting. I never thought of that. Exactly what kind of magnets are you referring to? They would obviously have to be enormously strong. Maybe you have a link? if not, maybe just try to explain it to me so I can pick something up. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tools you've posted so far are for pulling out big dents like you'd get if someone shoulder-checked your door.

If what you have are little dings smaller than a couple inches, probably your best bet is to have them "spooned" out. Essentially they're smoothed from the inside out after removing some interior pieces of the car using a series of small curved metal tools by repeatedly tapping and making small circles to push the dent back out.

Search for a paintless dent repair service in your area, its definitely a skill you dont want to try on your own car.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yea, you're right. I've tried banging out a dent on my own and only made it worse, so I won't do that again. I figured the tools above were for big dents, but I thought it was worth asking. The paintless dent repair isn't worth it for me. I've already looked into it and we are talking about at least a couple of hundred dollars....its just not worth it to me
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Look for a Paintless Dent Repair guy. It cost my buddy $45 bucks, but it looked flawless. I have a buddy that does that, so he helps me out with that stuff.

Also the same buddy that does it, when I asked him about those products, he said they do work, but they aren't as easy as they seem. Sometimes you end up over-pulling the dent, and it rounds outward....if you do do it yourself, get a small ballpeen hammer, and a soft microfiber cloth to tap it back to flat.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, the very best dent removers use a system with dry ice. I they put the dry ice on the dent and cover it with one of thsoe cups. The dry ice actually freezes the metal and causes the spot to shrink in. The stretching metal pops the dent out. It's a great process for cars destroyed by hail. I don't know if it is available to the public...