Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Brake Light Tint Vinyl HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Brake Light Tint Vinyl HELP!!!!

hey all,

i bought a brake light vinyl and i sucked at putting it on. i have a couple small bubbles but i'm a perfectionist. the instructions said that if there are imperfections to wait a couple days but they're still there. can i remove it and try again or am i screwed and need to order a new one? it's been about 4 days since i put it on.

o and i've asked this question around the boards with no answer. how do i customize my tC avatar?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought that brake lite tint off ebay too and hated it. i threw it in the trash and just did it the real way! The best way to go is just paint them man!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM

can you show me a pic of what it looks like painted? does your brake light still shine through enough to notice? i don't want to get pulled over for it.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your brake lights will be fine..they will still shine through depending on how dark you tint them. and for the pic just search the site for tail light tinting, you will find thousands of pics of tinted tail lights. I would show you a pic of mine but im at school right now..lol
Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRD-71
i bought that brake lite tint off ebay too and hated it. i threw it in the trash and just did it the real way! The best way to go is just paint them man!
No its not, vinyl gives the tail light a more uniform darkness. Plus if you want to remove the tint for whatever purposes, you can.

Either process is going to take patience. Depending on how many bubbles are in the taillight, you should be able to salvage it. The instructions say to wait a few days because some of the bubbles in the vinyl are just water trapped under the surface and will eventually dry from the sun, much like tint on windows. Thats why the installers say not to roll them down for a few days.

Vinyl is pretty easy stuff to work with, its just a lot of heating, shaping, squeegeeing, pressing over and over again.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by stussy1
No its not, vinyl gives the tail light a more uniform darkness. Plus if you want to remove the tint for whatever purposes, you can.

Either process is going to take patience. Depending on how many bubbles are in the taillight, you should be able to salvage it. The instructions say to wait a few days because some of the bubbles in the vinyl are just water trapped under the surface and will eventually dry from the sun, much like tint on windows. Thats why the installers say not to roll them down for a few days.

Vinyl is pretty easy stuff to work with, its just a lot of heating, shaping, squeegeeing, pressing over and over again.
so it is possible to take it off and reapply it? won't the adhesiveness be gone?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I had a shtton of bubbles when I tinted my tails, it took about a month for all of the bubbles to evaporate. Give it time.. dont bother peeling, it won't reapply
Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM

i know they're not water bubbles. when i press down on the somewhat big one, it sticks to the light but then it pops back out again. *sigh* screw it i'll buy another one next summer cuz it's getting too cold now.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pop it with a needle, and press it down.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont every use tint i have had to fix some many tails after people use the peel tint just paint them with VHT if u want i will do it hit me with a pm...the tint bubbles and has wrenks all in it..it looks BAD
Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 AM

vht all the way its only 10 dollars and you can make it dark or light just go coat by coat and get it where you like it
Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1

Originally Posted by UTI_superwhite
vht all the way its only 10 dollars and you can make it dark or light just go coat by coat and get it where you like it
Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 PM

you know i would paint it but knowing me i'll mess that up too. hey tcnoob, are you in mn? by the way this is only for my third brake light.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no am in WV but if u want to ship it i can have it done and send it back
Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM

well with the cold weather coming up quick i can't afford to wait to send it to you and for you to send it back. can anyone tell me how to get that plastic cover off the brake light? i'm thinking of taking that off and retrying that way.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way to take the lense part off is to dremel it off which is not the best idea.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought mine from customtc.com..i have one or two really small bubbles but i dont mind not noticeable unless you stare at it lookin for it
Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

first of all if you buy vinyl from ebay you're wasting your money. There's something about their vinyl that just SUCKS.

blue bat is good, i did my TBL back in the day with his and did not have a problem.

I have rockblocker on my tails and they are perfect and high quality. just use a heat gun and get a nice razor blade and a little bit of patience for each light.

Otherwise, to work with what you have take a small needle and poke the air bubbles. i'd still heat it while pressing down. just my .02