Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Changing the color of my car safe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Changing the color of my car safe?

I want to get my car painted a different color. No offense, but to me CSM is sooooooo dull on a tc. Would it be safe to do it? It just seems like it would be impossible because of everything from the door jams to the garnish emblems getting in the way to blah blah blah. You get the point. My father's friend has been painting cars for over 30 years and he can get me a good deal on it.

Should I take advantage of this?
Any input is welcome, thx.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think my CSM is dull lol but its up to you and what you like.. God knows a lot of peeps dont like the same thing, check my pics out before you do it.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Uh, it's painting a car. It's all about prep work. It's not 'unsafe' but if you cheap out or don't prep well, it's gonna look like crap.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see how it would be detrimental to your health in any way.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
Uh, it's painting a car. It's all about prep work. It's not 'unsafe' but if you cheap out or don't prep well, it's gonna look like crap.
Uhh, check the age, I'm only 17. I don't know everything in the world about painting a car. That's why I'm asking.

And lester, you're car does look good. Tough decision. Thanks guys. Mods can lock this.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Save some money and take off most of the stuff that "gets in the way" your self?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by CreationBeyondRecreation
Uhh, check the age, I'm only 17. I don't know everything in the world about painting a car. That's why I'm asking.

And lester, you're car does look good. Tough decision. Thanks guys. Mods can lock this.
you say your dads friend who's painted cars for 30yrs is giving you a good deal? then you say your 17 and know nothing about painting cars. your worried about your health but your not painting it? seriously though, ask him. people always paint cars, this is nothing new to the auto world. alot of stuff will come unbolted to be painted.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure how painting isn't safe; cars are painted everyday; multiple threads on them; i painted mine last year and prob will re-do it again next year or year after to fix any fading or paint chips
Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

17? Save your money. If you don't like the color of the car, yet don't have anything done to it, then no reason to waste money painting it. Hell if you didn't like CSM to begin with you probly should've gotten a different color?

Just playing the other side here....
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
SL Member

What do you mean by safe?

And no it not impossible

Im not sure what kind of discount your dads friend is gonna give you but changing the color of a car is not cheap.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CreationBeyondRecreation
Uhh, check the age, I'm only 17.
Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge. Just dont be a dumbass know-it-all kid.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 17 too... don't use that as a cop out for not researching what you are interested in.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I knew a guy who painted his tC once. 2 years later, BAM! Herpes.

Seriously, though: if your dad's friend has been in the business for 30+ years, chances are he knows what he's doing, and will do a good job. I say do it!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
your worried about your health but your not painting it?
Did I ever mention anything about my health? Ha.
Confused where you guys are getting this from..
I meant safe as in paint chipping or things like that.

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
Hell if you didn't like CSM to begin with you probly should've gotten a different color?

Just playing the other side here....
I had no input on the car. My parents bought the car for me.. Now I'm trying to make it how I want it.

Originally Posted by bdis3
Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge. Just dont be a dumbass know-it-all kid.
Originally Posted by Young-Gun
I'm 17 too... don't use that as a cop out for not researching what you are interested in.
God damn, I'm just asking a question. I did research, just wanted a final answer to clinch my decision. This thread has become utterly useless. Mods...LOCK THISSSSS.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want answers to a question yet aren't providing all the details like what kind of "deal" you're being offered.

Do your parents know you're wanting to paint the car? Did they fully give it to you? Might be 2 more things to think about and bring up.

No need for a mod to lock this, if you don't like the answers to the question, don't look at it.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$1700 for full paint including jams and everything. He normally charges a little over $6K.
Yes they know, and yes, it's fully mine.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you seen the cars he's painted before? if you meant paint chipping/fading/dullness of new color, etc by asking if its safe, i would say to check out you dads friends work just to make yourself feel more comfortable about painting the car...

since he's been painting for 30 yrs im sure he does a bad ___ job, but if you're unsure, just check out some of his work to make your final decision...

$1700 from $6K is a hell of a deal since he's painting door jams, engine bay, and everything!!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 AM

thats a pretty decent deal. if your gunna do it make sure you do sumtin that will sell down the road dont do a crazy neon yellow (obviously lol) but ya id say kliek a dark green or sumtin that COULD be or SHOULD be oem. maybve a darker gold who knows. also think what will look good with it. idk what your about but say you wanna stance it out later on and then you paint it a color that only looks good with chrome rims. then you end up with a monkey lookin car. plan ahead and look at every single detail that may ever rise up. honestly, i feel you with the CSM and parents picking for you (and screwing up your plans of gettin a G35) but the money spent on paint could go a long way with other things. although u are gettin a great deal and hufge results from said money being spent u cld get some B&Gs, VRD grilles, and shave your antenna and garnish. prolly still have some loot left over for gas. i mean honestly CSM might not be the best color out but it is definately workable. you can make it look really clean, i.e, no rice. with the deal your gettin you cant go wrong (except for what color) but there are other things that can be done with that money as well. look around, LED mods, clear corners, headlight pauint matching, i mean the options are endless and you wanna make sure paint is the one thing you are always gunna be proud of spending your money on. i have the oney for a HoK paint job from my dads shop but i would ratehr keep it the OEM color (until i figure out if im sellin it or making it my build projject) because even though i want a sick one off color im sure three years down the road ill kick myself in the ___ when i need a paint match or some other thing like that. theres just a lot of options to look at here just to repeat myself. hope i hepled. i know i didnt offer any actual advice but i just wanted to possibly broaden your horizon
Old 05-26-2010, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1700 could get you a homemade turbo or even used turbo setup. Would be a lot cooler then a simple cooler change.