Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Clear Corner lens inserts-product update and *pic*!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Straight from the California Highway Patrol Web page:
# Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.
# Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC).
# Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
# Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
# Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
# Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).
# Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles (24003 VC).
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

So yes they should be legal in California!
Old 10-25-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PolyFM_TC
Straight from the California Highway Patrol Web page:
# Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.
# Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC).
# Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
# Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
# Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
# Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).
# Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles (24003 VC).
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

So yes they should be legal in California!
That's not turn signal! That's side parkings lights AKA Side Markers! Unless you make that side markers a signal with a double filament or something. Here is my quote from the CHP website.

Another quote straight from CHP website.
Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).
Techincally it will be legal when you have amber bulbs.... if you have it white bulbs there then you are dead.

But to go off topic for fun... I saw this
Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed. (25106 VC, 24003 VC).
Old 10-25-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

bump for update
Old 10-25-2005, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again, I'll leave it up to you all to use your own best judgement and identify the legal implications of clear corner reflectors in your state. As a general rule for products of this nature, I'll reiterate the standard disclaimer that these clear corner lens replacements are for off-road or show use only.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Technically Illegal... But I've never gotten hassled for mine... if you have BSP and want DDE's, then tint them, it looks WAY BETTER.... I tried the clear option and it didn't look right IMO.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice. Might have to pick up a pair.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to whoever owns a ssm please take pics and post.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 on the preorder
i figure if its illegal ill get someone to made a yellow overlay just to cover it up
Old 10-25-2005, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that looks smooth. i'm in.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you made them smoked i would me intresed, i know i could smoke them myself... im a little lazy at times...
Old 10-25-2005, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must state that this product is technically still in prototype/pre-production phase and is not available for sale or pre-order yet. I will PM and update the thread once it's available and I have become a ScionLife sponser! The interest for this product has taken me by surprise!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member

I'm trying to search Maryland laws but can't find if it's legal or not.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

They are technically not street legal in any state... I checked when I tinted mine...

Every Vehicle made in the USA MUST have a front yellow reflector and a rear red reflector on the side of the vehicle. I cannot "Light up" yellow, It must be yellow and the rear must be red and they cannot be tinted or covered...

It's a Federal standard for new vehicles.... like air bags and other safety equipment. EVERY new car has them, even luxury cars... they just make them look better...

Both my Scions are not DOT legal in that regard, as I HATE the yellow on my BSP... But, unless you have to go through inspection when doing emissions, I don't think anyone will notice. Here in OR, they don't inspect your vehicle, they just do a smog check. In CA, I'm sure they'd get you on it....

I love it and I like the idea of this product.... a smoked version would be cool as well... I don't even have the bulb behind it anymore... just took it out.... Now I'm REALLY not street legal, but you can see my DDE's from the side, so there is light on the front side of my car.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are, however, newer models of cars that have a clear/reflective housing with just an amber bulb inside, reflecting its color. That may be legal only for a completely clear cover over a reflective back. But, again, with all the lighting products on peoples' cars out there, you gotta wonder if some corner reflector pieces will draw any attention. People will just have to use their best judgement about their laws and how much/how little they're enforced where they live.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lexus RX330+ 2005+ for example...
Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions

Both my Scions are not DOT legal in that regard, as I HATE the yellow on my BSP... But, unless you have to go through inspection when doing emissions, I don't think anyone will notice. Here in OR, they don't inspect your vehicle, they just do a smog check. In CA, I'm sure they'd get you on it....
FYI, smog checks dont inspect anyhting but the emissions systems. Ive had clear side markers for years on my cars and never once have had a problem..even when getting pulled over and ticketed for no front plate or tail light covers.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like it!

Nathan
ycart1201
Old 10-25-2005, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

'06 RX 330???? Has yellow reflectors..... I don't know of any car without front yellow reflectors.. even the lotus elise has them... any US Spec car does...

Here's the Federal Vehicle Code Page Relating

http://www.ntea.com/tr/TEH/fmvss_lighting_chart.pdf

But, I still think this product is an awesome idea and about time for it's development. I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's gotten a ticket for having them... A Cop would have to be really, really, really looking for something to get you on.

Where are you in Beaverton, as I haven't seen you around in the area... I'd like to meet you!

Old 10-29-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump....any update on when they will be for sale?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by shawn30
bump....any update on when they will be for sale?

same with me ?

Quick Reply: Clear Corner lens inserts-product update and *pic*!