Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Custom mesh grill(fog lights behind upper grill)56K beware!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NycMiner
i want to do the same thing, one of my two little peices on the sides is just punched out right now so my intake can breathe. plz tell us where you got the mesh
Check one of my other replies, thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i think it looks pretty good...i would have gone with black grill to match the wheels you have. might look a little cleaner, and would hide the fogs when off . a little more....other than that pretty sweet and original
Old 06-09-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by markritch
i think it looks pretty good...i would have gone with black grill to match the wheels you have. might look a little cleaner, and would hide the fogs when off . a little more....other than that pretty sweet and original
Thanks, I might paint it black in the future if it starts to look like crap(rust).
Old 06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can buy galvanized(wont rust) gutter guard from home depot for 1/5 of what u paid... thats what i did...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64450

i have a written "how to", PM me if you want it....
Old 06-09-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wheres that beam pattern pic?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I like it but the fogs need to be relocated in my opinion. Good job though.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Iam wondering what the beam pattern will be. Can u take a night shot of the beam pattern?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
Sorry, I'll do it tonight .
Old 06-10-2005, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here you go: as you can see, I have to adjust them, cause one is pointing higher then the other.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VanillaRice
I like it but the fogs need to be relocated in my opinion. Good job though.
Thanks, but I thaught I would try something new, I have to admit, my first instinct was to put them at the bottom, but I'm glad I didn't.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hitm@n
Iam wondering what the beam pattern will be. Can u take a night shot of the beam pattern?
Look above .
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think it looks good...
Old 06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

looks pretty good...hard to tell exactly, since the headlights don't appear to be on, but that's okay, since you appear to be going for something different, no necessarily functionality. Good job!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks pretty good...hard to tell exactly, since the headlights don't appear to be on, but that's okay, since you appear to be going for something different, no necessarily functionality. Good job!
Thanks, I really didn't put them there for added visibilaty, it's really there for looks.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow nice setup... never seen anyone do this
Old 06-12-2005, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice pics... your car looks much better with that grill. I'm not a big fan of homedepot / pep boys grills though, they look a little cheap and flimsy. I still think that looks better than stock though. Good job.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for some reason it reminds me of the new mustang...
Old 06-12-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I think it's because the foglights are in the upper grill.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry it took me so long to post a "how to", but when you're a Realtor, this business can take over your life 24/7. OK, I'll do my best to explain how I did it: you are going to need two mesh grills, you can buy these at either pepboys or auto zone, a phillips & flat head screw driver, wire cutters or plyers, 9 MM ratchet(is this spelled right), one sharpie marker, measuring tape and two floor jacks(I will suggest using jack stands if you can).

First you'll need to remove the upper grill, its being held in by some plastic clips that are attached to the bumper, open your hood and look behind there, you'll see what I mean; you can use the flat head to pop these out. Once you remove the entire piece out, you'll need to remove the silver frame that surrounds the black plastic grill(you are going to use this later), there's about seven screws holding this piece in, you'll need a phillips head screw driver.

-Next looking at step A from picture below, you'll need to measure behind the grill so you'll know how long to cut the mesh, you only need enough to cover the entire opening.

-Once you have the right measurement, cut out what you don't need with the plyers. Looking at step C, it will be easier to get the grill in and out if you can pull this part of the bumper forward, to do this you'll need to remove five plastic clips, one of these is circled in step B, there's two right next to the driver side head light and the other two are by the passenger side head light, these should be heasy to find. Now stick the grill through the back(shubb it in forward as far as it will go) and stick the silver frame through the front of the bumper and bring them together. Looking at step A, when you bring the grill and the the siver frame together, you need to stick these plastic pointy pieces through the holes of the grill. Once you have done this and they appear straight and evenly, then use a sharpie to mark in the back of the grill where these plastic pointy pieces are located. Now remove the mesh and silver frame back out. These pointy pieces only go in so far so you'll have to cut a small piece on the mesh where you marked with the sharpie; this will allow you to shubb these further in. Now put them back in the bumper just like you did earlier and individually install the 7 screws you removed earlier that were holding the black plastic grill and silver frame together, if the holes don't line up then bend what ever you gotta bend to make the holes line up(you'll see what I mean). Now put the bumper back together, reverse step B . There, you're done with this one, now lets move to the bottom one.

-This one takes alot more work, this where you'll need to jack up your car and remove the black plastic mud shield underneath the bumper(these are two pieces, I thaught it was one whole piece), you will need a flat head screw driver and a 9mm ratchet(could be a 10, don't remember). Once you remove this, you'll need to remove the lower plastic grill, which is being held in by some plastic clips that are part of the bumper, you'll need a flat head to do this. Once the lower grill is out, you'll need to measure from the wall where I put the big red dot step A, to the other opposite wall. Once you have your measurements, cut the other mesh grill lenght wise, you don't have to cut the width, it fits perfectly look at step B.

Here, where step A is, this is where the other side of the wall you are to measure to from the previous step A. Now look at step B, here you'll need to cut out the figure that's there on the mesh grill, that way the mesh grill fit and will go in all the way. On step C, I used a long piece of mesh grill, fold it once(lenght wise) and shoved it in between the upper part of the mesh and the lower part of the bumper, where it looks white; that should make it fit tighter. Now put everything back together and you're done.

This one is for those that want to try putting the fog lights where I did. First you'll need two "L" shape brackets, had two left over from an old fog light set I used to have, if you don't have these laying around I'm sure you can find similar ones at home depot. Once you have these, you'll need to bend one end forward until both ends are parallel to each other, that's step B. Now secure the bracket that holds the fog light in place into the end of the bracket you bendt forward( you'll need a screw and nut, the screw is going to have to be extra short in order for it to fit in there. Now you'll need to secure the other end to the plastic clip that's located on the silver frame on the upper grill(these are located at the furthest ends of the grill and they have holes in the middle of them), You'll need some kind of screw and nut to secure these as well; this is step A. Lastly seccure the fog light to the bracket that supports them and adjust the height to where you want them pointing at. There you're done!!!

I tried really hard to explain this as good as I could, but I'm sure some of these steps aren't going to make sence, hope I helped as much as I could thou.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I started this project yesterday and i was a bit lost, thank you so much for making a great writeout! This definetly should be put ikn the tech forum if its not already.

Quick Reply: Custom mesh grill(fog lights behind upper grill)56K beware!