Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...
View Poll Results: Please choose an option
Option 1
4.00%
Option 2
0%
Option 3
24.00%
Option 4
72.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Daytime Running Lights. Conclusion: Waste of Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by magyver
meh, for drl's? that was always the first thing i disabled in every car ive owned since 96. leave your parking lights on and put in some fogs/led's. i guess in a way im drl'n it by leaving my parking light switch on 24/7 but i have led fogs and its just for show.. if its dark, i turn on my lights.. so i vote #4
Meh. Please don't turn on your (aimed generally, not at you magyver ) parking lights while you're driving around. They're called *parking* lights for a reason, and in many places its also illegal.

I also hate some of these newer domestic sedans that use their stupid parking lights as DRLs.

sorry, a pet peeve of mine

Originally Posted by _NeXuS_
High's at day wont glare
Whether its the day or not, it is still a bright light aimed directly at your eyes. High beams still glare in the daytime.

Originally Posted by Jehoo
Thanks for the input guys! So I'm leaning to trashing this project? :D
Naa man, if you want to do it, go for it! DRL is a weird subject. Some people really like it, others hate it. Personally, I'd rather not have it. As long as it doesn't bother other drivers (and I have seen some stock DRL's which are rather glare-ish, very annoying), then it doesn't matter. It's up to you what you want to do with your car :D
Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I support you Jehoo :D.

Maybe they glare but it broad daylight your sight is being bombarded with light so highs wont bother in night when your not receiving any light High glare the heck out of you , DRL's since they are at 60% at day i wouldnt see it as an obstruction at day.

One time DRL's were really usefull i like it more for looks, one time ona trip across the dessert in the middle of the light cars from a certain distance were hard to see because of the blurr that heat creats from a distance you could actually identify cars that had DRL's runing.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll give this thread until the weekend. If I have nothing to do on that day, I'll proceed with the project and make a write up. It's for those people who voted for option 3. I just couldn't let them down. :D

I like wasting my time...
Old 01-31-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I gotcha Nexus. I agree, at 60% it probably wouldn't be a problem .

I'll give this thread until the weekend. If I have nothing to do on that day, I'll proceed with the project and make a write up. It's for those people who voted for option 3. I just couldn't let them down. :D

haha... and just watch the 2008 tC have DRL
Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Woot woot! :D
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

LoL
Old 01-31-2007, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Originally Posted by magyver
meh, for drl's? that was always the first thing i disabled in every car ive owned since 96. leave your parking lights on and put in some fogs/led's. i guess in a way im drl'n it by leaving my parking light switch on 24/7 but i have led fogs and its just for show.. if its dark, i turn on my lights.. so i vote #4
Meh. Please don't turn on your (aimed generally, not at you magyver ) parking lights while you're driving around. They're called *parking* lights for a reason, and in many places its also illegal.

I also hate some of these newer domestic sedans that use their stupid parking lights as DRLs.
well, since newer cars come like that, it must be legal. plus, those same parking lights are on when the headlights are on.

i use them as i/everyone loves to stare at the LED fogs whether its day or night. and where i come from (hick town population 1K) everyone and there brother even 5-0, run w/ just their parking lights on. i love the look. as my led tails of course are on too..
its a preference thing. i like the white led SW tC combo thing.. but yeah.. to each their own
Old 01-31-2007, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Yea I gotcha Nexus. I agree, at 60% it probably wouldn't be a problem .

haha... and just watch the 2008 tC have DRL
08 with DRL that would suck! Even Celicas had DRL's
Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Doooooooooooooo it :D
Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I was just thinking, do you guys really want option 3? That option would make the hi beams light up the whole time, day and night with the engine running. Wouldn't it be odd-looking if the hi beams are on like 40-50% of power at night together with the low beams? Just need to get an input on this matter. Because, I just can’t imagine how it would look.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

I still need to find out if the tC has positive switching or negative switching for the circuit to work. I assumed the tC uses positive switching.
I have been wanting Option 1 for a loooong time.

I was recently in communication with Doug Miles and Dave Gorden from Hamsar and they told me its a current sourcing system, it is neither neg or pos switched (most toyotas are negative trigger) ... and even if you got it to work there may be a problem in drl mode, if the high beams are turned on (eg in a "flash-to-pass situation") it may blow the fuse.

PM me if you want all the details from my convo's with them. I'd like to see this work so if I can be of any help let me know.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

PM'd
Old 02-10-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So after reading this project's pros and cons, I decided not to do this project anymore. I am mainly concerned about the issue of glare and gas mileage. There are more cons than the pros of DRLs. Here are the websites that changed my mind:

http://www.nordicgroup.us/drl/

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/cd9402.pdf

DRLs, as currently implemented on cars sold in the U.S., have severe problems. These problems have been acknowledged by experts such as the NHTSA. Until these problems are corrected, either by legislation or by the automakers, the prudent thing to do is to disable your DRLs, if possible. Above all, you should research the facts about DRLs.
So I guess I have to flush this project down the drain... I do apologize for those who voted "Yes" on this project. Just need to think about others before yourselves.

Peace.

EDIT: Maybe I'll just come up with something that will make the high beams light up only 5W like the parking lights but only at night.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Too bad.

However, if you still wanna try and get that look maybe same 194 wedge bulbs retro'd into the highbeam housing would work. I've been toying with the idea for a while now, but am not quite sure how to make it work. It's the wiring part that mystifies me, as I could prob'ly figure out how to mount the sockets in there. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am doing that one right now.

Let me find my brother's camera because I'm half way done. :D
Old 02-10-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Really? Can't wait to see it.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awww no DRL's the 194's on high beams socket would look really nice when you have your low beams on, like the Acura RSX's that have a 194's on their high beams and they light up the housing a little.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I failed making my first module work.
I think the lighting system is current-triggered and not voltage-triggered. I'll still do revisions and will keep you guys posted.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
Too bad.

However, if you still wanna try and get that look maybe same 194 wedge bulbs retro'd into the highbeam housing would work. I've been toying with the idea for a while now, but am not quite sure how to make it work. It's the wiring part that mystifies me, as I could prob'ly figure out how to mount the sockets in there. Any ideas?
this would be cool.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

hey jehoo I'm really interested in this project, can I have my high beams stay on without the low beams on

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights. Conclusion: Waste of Time