Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

DIY Shaved rear hatch garnish

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:13 AM
SL Member

Default DIY Shaved rear hatch garnish

Hey guys this is my first DIY so if I miss something or w/e just let me know. Oh and I looked everywhere on my laptop for the pics but I couldn't find any lol I swear I took like a 100 pics that night. I was drinking monsters all night working on it till like 3am lol. I guess I took the pics but I forgot to upload them to my laptop. And I took it with my roommates digi cam and he deletes pics on the weekly so there gone forever )= so when I get a chance if a local tC wants there garnish shaved I might get some more pics (= and I'll only charge a little (= since I need pics from there garnish lol.

Okay so the supplies:

Shop Towels(for wiping down the garnish after sanding)

Bondo! Duh lol.

PowerBall and wax for polishing after your done with everything.

Applicator pads and micro-fiber towels for polishing also

Adhesion promoter(its like clear primer for plasitc basically), Paint color of choice, and Clear coat. I personally prefer dupli-color because I've had alot of bad experiences with krylon dripping and what not I just feel like its easier to p!ss can with dupli-color.

The sanding pad, 1000 grit sand paper, and 100 grit sand paper.

Painters masking tape

Krylon Can Gun(makes p!ss canning 100 times easier)

Drill for the PowerBall

I'm not sure what to call these putty pads or bondo applicator thingie maggigger lol.

That should be all the things you need.

Alright now for the instructions:

1. Take garnish off the hatch.
2. Pry Scion emblem off the garnish.
3. Clean off the sticky residue from the emblems double sided tape.
4. Tape the 2 hole emblem area on the garnish so the bondo doesn't drip through.
5. Mix bondo and hardening agent. Its like 90% bondo and 10% hardener. Don't mix too much at once because it hardens pretty fast. Make the 1st batch the size of say a 7-11 cookie lol. Then for the 2nd 3rd or more batches smaller because the 1st batch should have filled the majority of the emblem area.
6. So you mixed your 1st batch of bondo now get the bondo applicator thingie maggigger and fill the emblem area of the garnish. Make sure to keep going over so no air pockets form. Make it a little lumpy for the 1st one.
7. Then let it dry for like 30mins.
8. Get the 100 grit sand paper and put it on the sanding pad and start sanding away till you can see the oval and make sure to not flex the garnish while sanding or you will crack the bondo.
9. After you sand it down make some more bondo/hardener and apply another thin coat. Let it dry. Then sand again with 100 grit.
10. Now when you look at it from different angle it should look pretty good. So apply another thin coat and let it dry. Then now sand it with the 1000 grit sand paper.
11. Now use the shop towel to wipe down excess bondo dust off the garnish do not use any liquids.
12. Now your ready for paint. Spray thin coat of the adhesion promoter or primer. Let it dry for like 15 mins.
13. Now you can spray the color of your choice I did 3 coats and wet sanded in between each coat.
14. Now some clear coat.
15. Now buffing and then your done.
16. Now put it on your hatch and now you have a custom shaved rear hatch garnish!

Hope this was helpful. Here are some pics of my shaved rear hatch garnish I'll get some better angle shots and close up in the morning.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

great diy! definatly using this saturday!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:46 AM
SL Member

Thanks man! As soon as I do someones here locally I'll put some pics of the work step by step lol. I have some of my homer moments lol. When I was installing my turbo like I was so excited I forgot about even taking pics while I was installing it lol.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

why would you paint it gold?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very good DIY but theres no before and after pics
Old 04-02-2010, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good diy, not feeling the gold though. This is on my list of things to do, but i'd want to do a colormatch, so when i get around to it i'll take pictures using your steps and you can use them here.

edit:

also, i can't for the life of me remember if the tbl is attached to the garnish via the sticky stuff on the back. when you took your garnish out, was the tbl attached? i have the oznium tbl and id rather not have to re-use the adhesive if i have to peel it off for the garnish.

Last edited by Basebllstar; 04-02-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added a question.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
good diy, not feeling the gold though. This is on my list of things to do, but i'd want to do a colormatch, so when i get around to it i'll take pictures using your steps and you can use them here.

edit:

also, i can't for the life of me remember if the tbl is attached to the garnish via the sticky stuff on the back. when you took your garnish out, was the tbl attached? i have the oznium tbl and id rather not have to re-use the adhesive if i have to peel it off for the garnish.
Yeah the gold is for a color scheme I'm going for black and gold like the Top secret cars lol. You will see when I get the new rims and what not (=
The TBL is on the hatch with the sticky stuff the garnish will come off as soon as you unbolt it.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldnt do this... Give it a few months.. then youll see the that bondo rising. You need to use fiberglass and a better filler.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hondaaltimaboi
Yeah the gold is for a color scheme I'm going for black and gold like the Top secret cars lol. You will see when I get the new rims and what not (=
The TBL is on the hatch with the sticky stuff the garnish will come off as soon as you unbolt it.

Black and gold eh?
I like the two colors together, itll be interesting to see where you take it. When are you getting your rims?

Thats what i thought, i was just making sure i wasnt going to screw up one part of my car in an attempt to fix another.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice. I'm going to try it out later this month.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by kevin091988
I wouldnt do this... Give it a few months.. then youll see the that bondo rising. You need to use fiberglass and a better filler.
I did it the same way about 6-8 months ago if you do it right the bondo won't rise. You can't even see my oval. But I painted it with plasti-dip afterwards
Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Prob be doing this soon and painting it black, as the CF garnishh is a little pricy for me.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:39 AM
SL Member

Default Re: DIY Shaved rear hatch garnish

Yeah if you make sure you don't leave any air pockets you should be good. Also don't man handle it while opening the hatch so you don't flex it to much and crack the bondo lol.

And baseballstar I should be getting my rims here in a couple months. Still trying to make a decision either 18x8.5 or 18x9.5

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2010, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hondaaltimaboi
Yeah if you make sure you don't leave any air pockets you should be good. Also don't man handle it while opening the hatch so you don't flex it to much and crack the bondo lol.

And baseballstar I should be getting my rims here in a couple months. Still trying to make a decision either 18x8.5 or 18x9.5

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
persoanlly i'd just stick with 8.5. 9.5 is better for handling, but the 8.5 are far cheaper especially for tires.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used bondo too. its not that hard to get the air bubbles out. i'm used to working with fillers since i fix my surfboards too. no need to buy fancy spreaders or anything, i used an old gift card. anything sturdy with a little flexibility. i would suggest letting the coats of bondo cure for longer than 30 minutes before you sand it, unless its really warm outside. after a couple coats, the hardest part of it all is sanding it down even so that there are no slight depressions or high spots that will reflect the sun after you paint it.

Name:  DSC_1656.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  122.3 KB

Name:  DSC_1660.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  60.5 KB

this will be nautical blue in a week or so
Old 04-03-2010, 07:19 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
persoanlly i'd just stick with 8.5. 9.5 is better for handling, but the 8.5 are far cheaper especially for tires.
Yeah I think I'll most likely go with 8.5 too because I don't want to rub or roll my fenders.

Originally Posted by dahuisurfer
i used bondo too. its not that hard to get the air bubbles out. i'm used to working with fillers since i fix my surfboards too. no need to buy fancy spreaders or anything, i used an old gift card. anything sturdy with a little flexibility. i would suggest letting the coats of bondo cure for longer than 30 minutes before you sand it, unless its really warm outside. after a couple coats, the hardest part of it all is sanding it down even so that there are no slight depressions or high spots that will reflect the sun after you paint it.

this will be nautical blue in a week or so
Nice!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you i have to go search for one of those spray can guns!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was told to sand down the edge where the emblem was and to use layers? How do you get rid of the air bubbles? Sorry I never played around with bondo before.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

just pack it down smoothly and evenly and when you use the scraper to even it out kinda push down too idk it worked for me lol
Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i think its a little hard to explain how to spread the bondo so that you don't have air bubbles. practice makes perfect. try playing around with some other small plastic things that are laying around the house. this was actually my first time with bondo as well. i use a different kind of filler for my surfboards. its hard to get up the courage to sand the garnish piece down since this is such an expensive piece to replace.

Quick Reply: DIY Shaved rear hatch garnish