Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Fake front air-intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Fake front air-intakes

Where would the air go if those intakes were real? Has anyone ever tried taking the plastic off and making them real?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suppose you're talking about the air inlets at the bottom of our front bumpers, the air wouldn't be blowing on anything that could use it except maybe the brakes.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think they would just go into the wheel well, but there are those pieces that enclose the whole wheel well....i'm sure if you have a CAI you can take out our driver side one, but...man lol this is a very interesting topic....
Old 10-31-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dr. Isotope has fabbed up a custom ram air kit for his "ghetto fabulous intake" and weaponR makes a "Ram Air Kit" that they sell for their intake that also uses that hole. Try searching.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Dr. Isotope has fabbed up a custom ram air kit for his "ghetto fabulous intake" .
*GASP* .... you mean I'm not Unique?!?!

Regardless.... I betch'a mine's more ghettoer-er than his lol
Old 10-31-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I was watching a show this weekend on the redesign of the Corvette and they were having trouble with body lift from the brake venting which is what those holes would be best suited for and are patterned after. They ended up choking the vent down to a smaller outlet so less air but blowing harder. I'm sure the braking issues are more pertinent to the C6 than the tC but introducing lift wouldn't be good either. If it's a sealed system for the Ram air it shouldn't affect it, but to just have air blowing in where the designers that used computers and windtunnels didn't want air blowing in might not always help...
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't forget that the more air you have moving through vents and openings in the car, the more drag you produce, the slower you go. Thats why on some newer cars like the Veyron, the vents and dams in the front close at higher speeds.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Lucky for me that I care too much about myself and other people to not travel at speeds where front-end lift would be a problem
Old 10-31-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
I was watching a show this weekend on the redesign of the Corvette and they were having trouble with body lift from the brake venting which is what those holes would be best suited for and are patterned after. They ended up choking the vent down to a smaller outlet so less air but blowing harder. I'm sure the braking issues are more pertinent to the C6 than the tC but introducing lift wouldn't be good either. If it's a sealed system for the Ram air it shouldn't affect it, but to just have air blowing in where the designers that used computers and windtunnels didn't want air blowing in might not always help...
Of course the new C6 was designed to race and then was molded down to make it a practicle everyday driver. Also, I don't really think taking the plastic things out would make that much of a difference in A. lift, because the scion doesn't go past 130 anyway...or B. drag, because goodness, lets face it, any car for under 20K has enough drag already, and making two fist size holes in the front end of it would only be a drop in the bucket...btw, does anyone know what the drag coeficient for a tC is? Also, just to correct someone, the bugatti veyron doesn't close anything at top speed. It lowers itself, a spoiler pops up, and the hood tips a bit, but the vents up don't close. They can't close because they either lead to radiators, intercoolers, or splitters. If anyone can prove me wrong though, feel free, I'm always up for learning something new.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SSM_tC
Dr. Isotope has fabbed up a custom ram air kit for his "ghetto fabulous intake" .

Got any pics of thise "ghetto fab" intake SSM?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there any way to take off the air-inlets without breaking them and having to remove the front bumper and plastic black underpiece thingy? Not trying to hijack thread, just have a mod I want to do with the air-inlets.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by goingcarcrazy
Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Of course the new C6 was designed to race and then was molded down to make it a practicle everyday driver. Also, I don't really think taking the plastic things out would make that much of a difference in A. lift, because the scion doesn't go past 130 anyway...or B. drag, because goodness, lets face it, any car for under 20K has enough drag already, and making two fist size holes in the front end of it would only be a drop in the bucket...btw, does anyone know what the drag coeficient for a tC is? Also, just to correct someone, the bugatti veyron doesn't close anything at top speed. It lowers itself, a spoiler pops up, and the hood tips a bit, but the vents up don't close. They can't close because they either lead to radiators, intercoolers, or splitters. If anyone can prove me wrong though, feel free, I'm always up for learning something new.
Don't forget to add

c. intake benefits

To get any real effect from the air pushing at the front of the car, you'd need to be going the speeds that would affect all the other things too.

My point was that you can just as easily affect something adversely as you can improve it. I'd bet there's more air pushing across those fake vents than there is pushing into them if they were real. Of course that goes back to the windtunnel and my point that they probably would've opened them or used them if they would be beneficial.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC

Got a few pics of mine... first, the opening for the cold air inlet, which runs up to the OEM airbox, and then a pic of the replaced, smooth-bend upper piping.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope

Got a few pics of mine... first, the opening for the cold air inlet, which runs up to the OEM airbox, and then a pic of the replaced, smooth-bend upper piping.

So beautiful!

WHOA, did you get your DC Sports Bar painted!?! That's hott!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

WHOA, did you get your DC Sports Bar painted!?! That's hott!
I picked up a pint of 8P4 and painted a whole bunch of stuff.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking good as always, Doc!

Oh - Where did you get the replacement smooth-bend upper piping?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah where did you ge tthe piping and whats the size?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i did was, i took a skinny inch long sharp point philip head screw and electric driver, screwed it into the middle of the plastic cover (shallow not all the way in). then pull it out by the screw. WALA!!!
i did feel a lil drag on the car but the added air to my cai made up 4 it. IF U HAVE A OEM BUMP TAKE OUT THE DRIVER SIDE CAP!!! It even made a difference on my wife's stock setup with high flow filter in the air box and carbon filter removed. injoy!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mica
Looking good as always, Doc!

Oh - Where did you get the replacement smooth-bend upper piping?
Easier I think to link you to the pertinent thread over at YSTC.com. It has the whole GFI layout, plus a parts list.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i took mine off and made a intake that sits directly in front of the vent

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1396870

ill post more pics later today i guess so you can see the new mesh vents

Quick Reply: Fake front air-intakes