Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Fake front air-intakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks for the Ideas, Doc!

I swear, mine is soooo ghetto, I will NOT even post pics of it up But hey ... it works
Old 11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
WHOA, did you get your DC Sports Bar painted!?! That's hott!
I picked up a pint of 8P4 and painted a whole bunch of stuff.

What is 8P4??
Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

WHOA, did you get your DC Sports Bar painted!?! That's hott!
I picked up a pint of 8P4 and painted a whole bunch of stuff.
What is 8P4??
Probably the paint code for IIP...
Old 11-01-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did you make that piece so it doesn't look so ugly when the grill is removed.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It's a 3" silicone pipe coupler, which is attached to the flexible tubing that runs up to the airbox. Held in place by a single screw-- the fit itself it pretty snug.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That's cool Dr Isotope.

So... the passenger side has to stay "puttin' up a front"? (fake)
Old 11-09-2005, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

where did you get the flexible tubing? and do you really feel a difference with this mod?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I picked up the tubing from JCWhitney some time ago-- it's vent tubing for air conditioners and the like on RVs. Pretty inexpensive, too. The cold air draw definitely helps fight heatsoak.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just drilled holes in the false grill/cover. Swiss cheesed it. That way, its not just a big opening, but it still retains that OE grill look. Yet its functional because if you drill out the middle spaces of the crossthreaded pattern, you will get pretty significant air flow thru that cover.

next step for me is running some flexible hose/tubing, or possible even PVC down from the air box to right behind the grill.

With this method, say you drive thru a pile of wet leaves or other road debris....with the grill still in tact, it will stop/filter the leaves and prevent them from being sucked into the tubing.

With an open vent, ie. no grill/cover, you are seriously running the risk of sucking leaves debris RIGHT into your intake hose/piping.

Think about it, have you even been driving and had a plastic bag fly right up onto your bumper?? What would happen if that bag go sucked into your intake hose/piping.

i'm actually surprised Doc Iso didnt' factor this in to his GFI.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

^^ I did. The airflow through a swiss-cheesed vent cover will be significantly less than through the OEM airbox snorkel, and my inlet has about 4x the area.

And I suck stuff up all the time-- bees, beetles, cigarette butts, pine needles, etc, etc. I just make sure to check my airbox once a month (as it only takes a matter of a few seconds). My worry would only be small particulates, like sand and grit. But finding none of that so far, the intake stays as-is.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

here is mine. its only stage 2 of the GFI (K&N filter / pipe down to front bumper). ive had it for a while. i stole an ear piece cover from work to serve as my filter, and it gets dirty but keeps the big stuff out, and i clean it.. you can tell that its a circle, but many people hardly even notice it. and when you pop my hood it looks abosolutely stock (minus the strut bar and the power wire for my amp..lol). the gas id say is really good, i made it to Sacramento from San Jose (about a 2 hour drive going speed limit) on about quarter tank.

the pics are blurry but you can tell the shape diference..

Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just relized I have a pretty clean pic of mine.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ I did. The airflow through a swiss-cheesed vent cover will be significantly less than through the OEM airbox snorkel, and my inlet has about 4x the area.

And I suck stuff up all the time-- bees, beetles, cigarette butts, pine needles, etc, etc. I just make sure to check my airbox once a month (as it only takes a matter of a few seconds). My worry would only be small particulates, like sand and grit. But finding none of that so far, the intake stays as-is.
wait, what do you mean: "The airflow through a swiss-cheesed vent cover will be significantly less than through the OEM airbox snorkel, and my inlet has about 4x the area."??? First off, the compartment behind the false grill is not hermetically (sp?) sealed or air tight by any stretch. There is plenty of air flow just based on the air flowing through the real grill and undercarriage. The idea is that the air charge from that area is cooler...if you think you're really getting a "Ram Air" effect from the placement of your GFI air intake duct, you are sadly mistaken. 1) at low speeds, the velocity of air entering the duct woud be barely different than idle vaccuum. 2) at higher speeds, the velocity of air entering the duct is increased, but it still has to travel all the way up the piping to the air box, where its then filtered, then travels past the MAF and through a bend, until it finally reaches the manifold. By that time, its velocity is no different than a stock intake charge. an NA engine can only draw in air as quickly as the natural vaccuum pressure will allow. A compressor pushes compressed, dense air thru the intake system, forcing it into the manifold. You are still only using atmospheric pressure to get air into your motor. aka, even if you were going 200 mph, and crazy amounts of air flow are shooting at your intake hose, the engine can still only "suck in" a limited amount at a time.

If anything, the velocity of the air you are intaking is what makes it cooler, which results in a lower intake temp by the time it arrives at the cylinder.

By leaving the false grill intact and drilling holes in it, you are still getting the same cool air charge but not sucking all that other crap into you air filter, decreasing its efficiency and like you said, causing you to have to maintainence it every so often.

and even still, i'm curious to see what happens when i eventually run my "cool air extension" to the compartment...because in actuality, that long piping run is restrictive...aka. it limits the amount of air that can be sucking in and filtered at a given moment. Whereas, if you disconnect the stock extension from the air box, leaving the inlet hole, at higher engine speeds when the motor wants more air, it can suck in air from all directions around the inlet hole, where the piping can only suck through a long tube.

Eg. Exhale all your breath. Purse your lips together like you are going to whistle and start sucking in air. Now form an "O" with your mouth and start to suck in air.

Which form was easier to intake air with? Which form do you think was able to intake MORE air more QUICKLY? THe wider diameter inlet.

which form had the cooler air intake temp. The smaller inlet with the increased air velocity.

ah that was fun. but i'm done for now. let the NA Intake Tech discussion continue....

edit: and i mean this with the greatest respect for your innovation and ingenuity with the GFI, Doc Iso, but has anyone ever told you that it looks like you have an elephant's trunk sticking out of your bumper?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My inlet is sealed to the airbox, and in place of the ~1.5sq/in opening on the OEM snorkel is a 2.5" mandrel bend. Of course, as with any intake, the amount of air it will flow is limited to what the TB will flow. I'm pretty sure Toyco made sure the stock TB would flow the required CFM at WOT + 10%, so anything we do is really only for two reasons: to input ambient temp air, and to look blingy.

I only want the former, and could not care less about the latter. My intake draws ambient temp air. It is a "cold air" intake, because it draws air from outside the engine compartment. None of the of off-the-shelf intakes can really make that claim, because they draw air from almost the exact spot that the OEM intake does, behind the battery, about 24" from the catalytic converter.

So I'm not worried about airflow. The ECU regulates that anyway. I can't increase overall volume because the MAF would get ____ed if it sees something it doesn't want to see. Because remember, engines don't "suck". Air flows from high pressure areas to low pressure areas. A motor is an air pump. Air cannot be "sucked" or "blown". So long as a piece of pipe/tube/hose can flow more CFM than the most restrictive point in the tract, it works.

No one has ever made the elephant reference, because it would seem they have all seen at least a picture of an elephant, and are therefore safe from making such inaccurate comparisons.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

M

Because remember, engines don't "suck". Air flows from high pressure areas to low pressure areas. A motor is an air pump. Air cannot be "sucked" or "blown". So long as a piece of pipe/tube/hose can flow more CFM than the most restrictive point in the tract, it works.

No one has ever made the elephant reference, because it would seem they have all seen at least a picture of an elephant, and are therefore safe from making such inaccurate comparisons.
the high-low pressure flow creates a what, VACUUM. thats right. A vacuum does what, thats right. it sucks. as opposed to blowing. (you do know what vacuum lines are right?)

And sorry, while I do know what you are talking about, saying a motor is an "air pump" is ridiculously over simplifying it.

and again, sorry, not to take anything away from your R&D and ingenuity....but it really does look like an elephants trunk. Why would i just make that up. honestly, i understand and commend you on your concept of drawing air from the front bumper where it will be cool, but from the first time i saw it, i just thought it looked funky.

Like, you know you wouldn't hurt your performance AT ALL by having a swiss cheesed false grill in front of you coupler/inlet hose....right? Then the elephant would be hidden.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

A vacuum does not suck.

"vacuum; 2. A region of space having extremely low gas pressure relative to surrounding pressure. The air pump of a vacuum cleaner, for example, drastically reduces the air pressure inside the device, creating a vacuum; the pressure difference causes air to rush into it, carrying dust and debris along with it."

And for the purpose of discourse, I will expand to state that a motor is "an air pump motivated by internal combustion". Complicating it any further is hyperbole.

Further, any obstruction in front of an inlet will hamper airflow. To borrow from your own analogy, make the "O" shape with your mouth, but before you inhale hold a perforated speaker grille over your mouth. Now instead of air passing through a single inlet, it is forced to pass through a great number of small ones. It's inefficient.

Feel free to have a problem with my unobstructed inlet... I know I don't.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Is a pwned in order here? :D
Old 01-19-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

DocI used really good verbal dynamics. I agree with captainlaziness
Old 01-19-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doc Iso: Don't even waste your time and energy. It's not worth it. TRUST ME.

Why anybody would dig up a thread that is over year old and start an argument is obviously bored and/or mentally challenged. Maybe he's going for the "Most Threads Locked Down In a Week By a Poster" Award.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=#2220638

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

Nice!

Quick Reply: Fake front air-intakes