Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Fender Liner fell out

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For anybody who cant pay for a new one right now I suggest going to auto zone, getting some of that ruber under guard which your soposed to spray on like lower halves of trucks or what ever to keep rocks from chipping it. Take the fender off, mask the whole top, flip it over and spray the whole back. Then mask everything nice in the engine bay and spray the frame, but don't do between the door otherwise you'll just mess up the door jams. Unless you go as far as taking the door off and masking out everything.

Itl take maybe 6 hrs to do all of this for the guys who have never taken their car apart like this but it shouldnt take that long for those who know their way around the tc.

It might sound like a cheap fix it which it is but its a great solution to not make you rush on putting 300 + on a gravle guard.

The paints you can use is anything like bed coating or something. I prefer scotch guard or scratch guard. I forgot the name. Its in a red can with a b/w picture and a black top. Be careful, theres gray, and black. Make sure the spray is either thick, or rubbery so that it can take a flying pebble.

To prep the surface just get a red scuff pad (by 3M usually at autozone) and what it is, is like a bristle pad / coarse thins ponge. What you do is just really rubb it around to scuff the surface to grab the paint better.

To spray first spray a medium mist coat, then a heavy coat (dont cover it all at once though, maybe 85% covered). Let it dry for 10 min go back and spray a heavy coat to take it to 100% covered and then some.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 AM
SL Member

nice tip man! if my fender liner was ____ed up enough, I would do that...but it just has a screw ripped out lol
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 AM

So what could have caused the liner to give up like that? Are you lowered? If so did you rub? I never quite understood why drivers lower their cars to the point of serious rubbing and are completely fine with it. . Doesn't that eat away at both the tire and the fender lining, leading to malfunctions of these sorts?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

my car is lowered but not enough for anything to rub. idk what caused it maybe the snow??
Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine came off because of the lack of fitment between the liners, underpanel and the kaminari front bumper. the underpanel came off first, then the passenger side liner, at which point I removed the drivers side. been running without them now for at least 8 months.

Ive been planning on making a Dr. Isotope like splitter... just have to get under the car one of these days to take measurements for all the holes and determine if I need to make standoffs to keep the splitter level - it absolutely MUST mate up with the kaminari bumper right. once thats done I'll deal with the liners
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I zip tied everything with the big zip ties so they dont fall off. I also check up on them every few days. I dotn wanna spend hundreds on a new one.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default Re: Fender Liner fell out

Originally Posted by 07SiC-tC
i was driving down the road and then i heard loud noises from the passanger side front fender i thought omg wtf happened. then when i pulled over i noticed my fender liner somehow got pulled out and i ran over it as well as 2 other cars turning it into poop. so i looked up fender liners and their quite pricey. does any one have a spair lol or should i just leave it as is??
welcome to the club, lol. I lost both of them after I installed my engine cai. Don't ask me how =(

I just think of it as, extra cooling for my engine bay, lol. All the hot air has easier access to leave now, lol.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Fender Liner fell out

Originally Posted by ippskidder
Originally Posted by 07SiC-tC
i was driving down the road and then i heard loud noises from the passanger side front fender i thought omg wtf happened. then when i pulled over i noticed my fender liner somehow got pulled out and i ran over it as well as 2 other cars turning it into poop. so i looked up fender liners and their quite pricey. does any one have a spair lol or should i just leave it as is??
welcome to the club, lol. I lost both of them after I installed my engine cai. Don't ask me how =(

I just think of it as, extra cooling for my engine bay, lol. All the hot air has easier access to leave now, lol.

Dude...I can get them @ cost....
Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To those of you whose liners have come off:

Did any of you replace the faux grilles in the front bumper vents with real grilles? If so i wonder if the air going in through the grille exerted enough force to push the liner so that it catches on the wheel or something.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x

Did any of you replace the faux grilles in the front bumper vents with real grilles? If so i wonder if the air going in through the grille exerted enough force to push the liner so that it catches on the wheel or something.
No...I put my VRD Fog lights...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciondriver1466
Originally Posted by x_Batman_x

No...I put my VRD Fog lights...
same.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 AM

yea, if anybody knows where to get the fender liners and the 2 pieces for the engine cover it would be greatly appreciated. dealer wants like $350 for that. the part numbers are 53875-21060, 53876-21060, 51441-21030, and 51442-21030. scrap yard said they dont keep em cause theyre generally trashed. i believe i still have all the screws, and may be able to salvage my driver side fender liner, but i really mangles the rest of them

also, i wouldnt recommend driving around without them. not only do you run the risk of rust and a dirty engine, but if you shoot some gravel into the wrong area and hit a belt... well, yea.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

My driver side liner flew off while I was driving down the freeway about 2 months ago. Then 2 days later it rained real bad while I was out, I have a cai, so of course I sucked water into the motor. That was fun! lol
Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump cus this happened to me today.. driving on the freeway and i hear a mad screeching noise on my side.. like RRKKKKKHHHH and this ____ flies out from under me, i tried looking it up on trdsparks but it wont let me use 2008 for tc's? can anyone direct me to the fender lining page?

edit: and i have a cold air intake.. i know its probably not safe to drive without the lining so is there a temporary fix? besides the one at the top of this page
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yirichie
bump cus this happened to me today.. driving on the freeway and i hear a mad screeching noise on my side.. like RRKKKKKHHHH and this ____ flies out from under me, i tried looking it up on trdsparks but it wont let me use 2008 for tc's? can anyone direct me to the fender lining page?

edit: and i have a cold air intake.. i know its probably not safe to drive without the lining so is there a temporary fix? besides the one at the top of this page
HOLY NECROTHREAD BATMAN!!

Use dynamat. A roll is super cheap and it keeps heat, noise, and rust from forming. I never put any in after I got my car and got water in my intake and it ran like aes. Dynamat plus plastic sheeting has helped alot.