Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Fixing tiny windshield chips.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fixing tiny windshield chips.....

Ok so fall is coming and the sun is on the horizon on my commute home. Not only is the glare annying but now i see that I have a dozen or so relally small chips / pits in my windshield. They look like dirt but obviously wont wash out.

Is there any way to fix these sand grain sized chips? Can this be a DIY project or do I leave it up to the pros?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have full glass coverage? If so go to safelite, or whoever is in your area of the country and have them either repair it or replace it.

If you are worried about claims then the repairs are generally cheap but it depends on how many you have.

The replacement windshield is expensive.

You can also just leave them be and if they start to travel then you can wait until you need to get the care state inspected or until you just can't stand it anymore and get the window replaced (covered under insurance hopefully)
Old 09-28-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what brands of insurance offer full glass coverage? i have gieco, they told me to get mechanical breakdown added to my policy to work with glass chips
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

the homedepot by my hause has a product called "fix a crack"it's made by the same people who make "fix a flat".comes with a little tube some string and 3 suctioncups.looks pretty cool might want to try that.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well these arent cracks...just tiny tiny surface pits.....is it even possible to fill these little suckers in with soemthing clear designed for this purpous?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If these are actual chips (not super small nicks) most insurance WILL cover it for free. You have to check but I know progressive does. Here is the thinking: most glass places can repair a little chip for about $50. A new windshield costs hundreds of dollars. If your windshield breaks, your insurance is probably paying out to fix it. So if they pay almost nothing now, it will keep the chips from getting worse. I know all i have to do is fill out a form online and they send the truck out to your house or work to fix it.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just had my windshield fixed this morning by a mobile safelite crew. I had a chip the size of a dime, and now I cant even tell it was there. VERY NICE JOB! My Nationwide ins. covered the process which was $63. Sooo... Im guessing that to fix more might still be under $100, seeing that most of the charge is for the first repair. I would recommend this process to anyone, im so happy.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm sure you're talking about the little tiny pits that turn a new crystal clear windshield into a used looking one. I wish there was a way to prevent this, but it's basically erosion. I got a little rock chip once and my insurance covered it (I have full glass - came with the full coverage package from AmFam) and the guys there said there would be a little tiny "thing" where the chip used to be but if it "bugs ya too much" to bring it in and they'd replace it. Full glass coverage is a great thing. I intend to get a new windshield at some point. It really makes the car feel brand new again.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like this one has already been answered but I thought I'd throw in a few small things. The "pis" your talking about don't come out. I've gone to many trade shows hoping to see a new product but nothing yet. Also... with those repair kits at homedepot and walmart ect. , dont' use them, they don't work. if anything they will comprise the break even more then a professional repair wont be possible. trust me, a 6$ at walmart, or the 3k$ kits that the pro's use, what would you pick? when a repair is done the "impact point" will always be somewhat visible but thats just how is goes. hope this is somewhat helpful.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draven301
I'm sure you're talking about the little tiny pits that turn a new crystal clear windshield into a used looking one. I wish there was a way to prevent this, but it's basically erosion.
EXACTLY!!!!

this is what im talking about, i had this on my OLD pickup and it took a while to get there from when it was new...... I cant beleive a new (1yr) car wil do this...i dont think this is normal!!

you think the dealer can help me out with the warranty here, maybe replace my windshield since it seems my glass is a little to soft?

Liek for real, I am being blinded in the glare from the light refracting off the 100s of pits all over!