Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Front Bumper Problem - Does anyone else have this???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Front Bumper Problem - Does anyone else have this???

I have noticed something strange with my tC recently. I am not even really sure how to explain this but here goes... my front bumper is not the same shape it was when I purchased the car, my husband was the one who noticed it and thought I should check to see if anyone else has seen this.

It almost looks as if it is swolen. Under the head lights it has moved upward and out away from the light assembly, the chrome grille insert has popped out from the bumper, I have a billet grille and that has moved as well, but when you look at the fender line where the bumper cover meets the fender there is no change in the gap and they are even. It is really only the very front nose of the car.

Now, I know the first thing asked is going to be have I hit anything, I have not, however, my husband and I have discovered that our teenage daughter had stolen the car while we were out of town a couple of months ago for the weekend, however, there is absolutely NO visable damage of an impact in the front of the car. We have subsequently kicked the teenager out of the house to protect the tC from her... no really we did.

Anyway, I know this sounds a bit out there but I was wondering if it could be warped from heat. The car does go to Arizona where it is about a billion degrees in the summer and this year was a particulary hot one. We own a body shop and my husband has worked in the industry for 20 or so years, he assures me that the car has not been in any collisions... Anyone else have this strange occurance going on???

Thanks all!!!! :D
Old 09-28-2006, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Front Bumper Problem - Does anyone else have this???

Originally Posted by rivrtc
We have subsequently kicked the teenager out of the house to protect the tC from her... no really we did.
Good for you!

Haven't heard of anyone else here having an issue of the front bumper cover deforming in any way, but am fairly confident someone will post if they've had the problem.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow, strange. Can you post any pics? that would help explain alot im sure....
Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i have the same problem as you, post some pics plz.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

i, as well as a couple of others, have noticed this problem.. dont know what caused it though. my drivers headlight seems to have been pushed in while the passenger's is nice and flush. theres a gap on the drivers side too.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was your teenage daughter!!....
with a semi-good cover up!!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i notice its lowered and you have the lip kit. i THINK mine could be SLIGHTLY like this, but i believe mine could be from pulling in and out of my driveway at bad angles, and then the corners slightly scraping the curb. thats the only thing i can think of that it could be. but yes, pictures would be nice =)
Old 10-04-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks for all the feedback on this, I am very happy to hear that I am not alone. I will try to get some pics tonight if I can, camera may be lost (we are remodeling the house and everthing is f..king lost right now)

The car is going into the dealer tomorrow to be looked at, I have also subsequently found separation in my rocker on the left (driver) side of the car where the body kit meets the rear quarter panel, and on Saturday I found out that the slow leak in my tire is actually a hairline crack in inner area of my wheel. Can you say warranty claim... I am happy to say that so far the dealer is being very good about it all, down to offering me a rental car to drive. Can't complain so far. We will see what they have to say about the bumper.

Oh and YES we did kick the kid out of the house for that one, tired of the BS, there are just some people you can't fix in life. There is way more to the story... but that is its own Jerry Springer Show.

I will let you know what the dealer has to say tomorrow, hopefully they will just fix it and all the rest of you can have your problems solved too.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Update... the dealer has the car, they are fixing the rocker there was a broken clip, they are fixing the shifting noise/stiffness I had, the rim is being replaced under warranty as well.

As for the bumper, it is Toyota's opinion that it has either happened (as Locondcoco has suggested) going in and out of drive ways (although I am very careful in doing so, not my first lowered car) or that it has been tapped in the front which is also entirely possible, while it was in my daughter's control a couple of months ago, or a combination of both of these things.

To all of you who posted, thanks so much... I am happy with the outcome with the dealer so far, the bumper thing... that I can deal with on my own.