Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Has anyone got pulled over for their tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone got pulled over for their tint?

I live in CA and the legal window tint is 50% rear windows. But I've seen some tC's that has all around tint of darker than 50%. So has anyone been pulled over and ticketed? I don't know if I really want to take the risk.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have in my yukon...
i have limo in the rear and 25% in the front.....
i just got a ticket by an lapd officer ....
i just took the ticket to a CHp officer and he just signed it off...
i guess chp and lapd have different % ratings for the front windows.... lol!!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yep.. I live in Maryland.. had to gank my ish off.. Pig bazterds!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in NY and so far two tint tickets with another one being contested
Old 03-10-2006, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by zhenya
I live in NY and so far two tint tickets with another one being contested
yup, not a good idea to mess with NYC cops, the cops and judges have inside deals so theres really no point in fighting anything they give you, at least thats how it is here in Staten Island

Luckily i have no tint, so i cant be ticketed, but i know of lots of people who have been ticketed for tints.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:19 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Has anyone got pulled over for their tint?

Originally Posted by TongMan
I live in CA and the legal window tint is 50% rear windows. But I've seen some tC's that has all around tint of darker than 50%. So has anyone been pulled over and ticketed? I don't know if I really want to take the risk.
actually you got that wrong.. for Cali, rear windows can be as dark as you want (as long as you have side mirrors).. (i have 5% (limo) on my rear 3 windows myself) and then 70% for the front windows

right now i'm running 35% for the front windows..

it depends on if the cop is a dick or not.. but i've had mine for about a week now with no problems :knock on wood:.... i've passed by some cops too... 35% is about the sweet spot... that's why i didn't get 20% (which is what i was thinking about doing first).. but yeah.. it really does depend on the cop..

if you're just gonna do "legal" tint... (that means doing whatever you want on the rear windows and leaving your front alone) then yeah... you can have it as dark as you want, and the cop can't do anything to ya.. because really, they can only do something if you have something on your front windows..
Old 03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wanna run 5% limo tint on my quarter panel windows and hatch window too, but here in oregon, it has to be 35% all around. but i heard that have different %age tints on your car makes it look cheesy.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

in cali, it's not uncommon to see the front windows tinted lighter, or not at all.... but i kinda agree on the cheesyness... i did what i did to have enough contrast so cops don't bug me (but they still can), and both dark enough so it doesn't look too cheesy.

ideally, i would've liked 20%/5% front/back... but i'm happy with the 35%/5% that i went with...

hopefully cops don't mind the 35% much... whereas i know that 20% would've..
Old 03-10-2006, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can always tint the hatch darker then the rest of the car. I went 20% on my hatch and 35% the rest of the way. (I wish I would have gone 5% on the hatch, oh well.) My tC looks darker all the way around because of the darker tint on the hatch. I see Mercedes, BMWs, Escalades, etc with darker tint on their driver/passenger windows. But yeah, just be sure to do the same tint on the side windows. It looks funky when one is darker than the other.

P.S. I have a note from a doctor (gf's dad. ) that says my eyes are sensitive to light and is why I have my windows tinted. You could go that route if you have the connections.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:06 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
P.S. I have a note from a doctor (gf's dad. ) that says my eyes are sensitive to light and is why I have my windows tinted. You could go that route if you have the connections.
with a note like that... i believe you are legally allowed to tint your front windshield 70%.. that's kinda sweet..
Old 03-10-2006, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the one tint place around us closed up shop. Damnit... and I was going to get mine done before winter too. Now I don't know if I can at all.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the reason behind me fighting the last tickets is that i got ticketed for both the right and the left window. To me, it doesnt make much sense, as before i was ticketed for both. I am responsible for the tints, so I have no problem with getting tickets, but its the fact that they are unjust in this case.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

i have 20% backs and a shade lighter in the fronts (25%?) been ticketed twice for speeding (damn speed traps) and both cops didnt care about the tint. in fact, i asked one of them how big of a strip i could have on my windshield and and he said that you couldnt have anything on there. but i know you can..it just can't be more than x inches in width.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have limo all the way around. no probs yet.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 25% rear and 35% front... i've had this for about one year and no tickets yet.
my last car i had 25% all they way around and i had it for 4 years and never got a single ticket.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member

I live in NYC. Over here, tints below 70% are considered illegal.

http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

I have 30% all around except the front windscreen. Ive never gotten a ticket but I have been pulled over and given a warning about my tints. I was pulled over at night, during the day its not so bad, cops dont give me trouble over it. So at night, what I do is when I see a cop, I turn on the dome lights and pretend like im looking for something in the car, then turn it off and drive normal when theyre gone.

::knock on woode:: Havent been pulled over after that.[/quote]
Old 03-10-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Several years ago I had dark on the rear 3 windows of my Sentra, and VERY light (almost stock appearing) tint on the front 2. CHP got me on I-5 between LA & SD, speeding at 73mph, at 10pm, with no other traffic anywhere near me. He checked both front windows for the telltale tint line, and added that onto the ticket, while stating "it's illegal to use any tint on the front windows in CA, even clear is not allowed".
Old 03-10-2006, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah I did in northlake, IL. I live in Melrosepark and never did I get a ticket untill I moved into the subs.. I like the quiet of not being in chicago but thammmmm 5-0.. they give you a ticket for any little thing. so fat went 9 years w/out a ticket 3 year now in the berbs and so far

1 ticket for tinst
1 ticket for neon lights
1 ticket for head lights
1 tickets for interior lights
9 tickets for speeding , 1 for going 34 in a 30 mile zone,, hmmmmm

they just thont like me!!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

i have 5% all around, here in florida you need it cause its so hot, i don't know of anyone whos been pulled over for tints here.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

got a written warning by a township cop and a verbal warning from a state trooper so pretty sure next incident wont be a warning, NJ allows no tint on front windows. I have 5% on hatch and 20% all around.

Quick Reply: Has anyone got pulled over for their tint?