Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

hatchback glass cracked and shattered for no reason...help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remeber on here a while back people were saying that there roof glass broke after a significant difference in temperature in a short period of time. I know its the roof but slight difference in location couldnt mean that this could be the same kind of situation. I dont know what warm in missouri is but warm to a california guy is in the 70s or 80s and then going down to 57 thats a pretty significant change to me so maybe thats the problem. I guess its just an unfortunate circumstance that should be covered by warranty.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was either bad glass or a bad tint job. Tint restricts glass from moving as it expands and contracts. $ucks to hear about that. Hope all is resolved quickly and inexpensively.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
I love the whole "This car falls apart", "imagine if you would have been inside" stuff If he would have been inside.. what would have happened? Nothing. And This, unfortunately, can happen to any car. I have heard of jeeps rear windows spontaneoulsly shattering on the dealer floor, hondas side windows mysteriously doing it, etc. Sounds like you were the unlucky recipient of some bad glass. I would think the dealer should take care of it under warranty.

Im with you on this one.. As soon as anything happens people yell recall.. It is glass. Glass breaks. Like someone else said. Tint can cause glass to break. A weak spot in the glass can cause it to break.
I had a Isuzu Rodeo and people said there back glass would shatter sometimes. It just happens. Yes it sucks that it happened to you. But like the saying goes "$hit happens"
Old 11-08-2006, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member

i think you should stop abusing your car, frog.

-Roger
Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

it sucks royally that your glass broke and I hope all goes in your favor

you cant accidentally leave your rear defroster on for a long time. it auto shut offs after 15 minutes and you cant leave it on if the car is off. if it was stuck on thats a sign at a bigger problem. (oh noes! defroster recall!!! tCs are falling apart left and right!)

and engifineer
people around here like to blow things way out of proportion
Old 11-08-2006, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member

The service manager at the dealership is going to authorize a 'good will' based warranty replacement for the hatch glass. If my sister didn't work there I doubt I would be getting it done at all. I did some research and found that many other Toyota models have had similar issues with unexplained glass explosion. A fellow Tc owner posted similar event on this forum. They basically said that I had to give them an outstanding rating on the survey which I can totally do, even though they seemed pretty reluctant to fix it. Should be back on the road Friday. thanks all!

Old 11-08-2006, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Well that's good. Glad to hear that you won't be having to do it out of pocket.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Dang! Guess I better not strap my bike rack on my hatch any more. Cuz it totally rests on the glass and I've done it many a times and it hasnt broke yet. Guess I better find a new way to take my bike.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jesus, after reading some of the replies on here I'm amazed some people here haven't instantly sold their tC's. Like Engi quoted, "This car falls apart" etc... wtf?

First, it doesn't. Go check some actual scientific studies/surveys on the car's build quality compared to that with other makes/models. I think you'll find it does quite well.

Second, sh*t happens. If in your research you found that this happened to many other makes/models of Toyota's, did you also check other makes/models of other brands? I know this is a shocker but it happens a lot to all glass using vehicles. And mind you, I'm using the phrase "a lot" liberally. Obviously this doesn't happen 'that' often otherwise people would be more familiar with it and the original poster wouldn't be shocked as hell.

Now, can it happen spontaneously? Sure, defect in glass, tint, etc. Could it also have happened because someone threw (intentionally or not) a rock/bolt/other object at it and it cracked/bounced, then spiderwebbed when you opened the door? Yup. Is that way more likely to have happened than a defect? Yup, car vandalism and accidents happen way more often than defects.

And by the way, at least try to understand what the recall was for. On earlier model tC's the glass deflector of the sunroof wasn't coated with any plastic. Therefore if a rock hit it and it spiderwebbed, some of it could crumble into the car and possibly onto you. Ok, try not to freak out here, but it wasn't exactly a big deal. The chances of that class falling and making it's way into your eye are slim. And unless it got into your eye, it's just glass tumbling lightly over your skin or hair.

Geez, such drama queens on here.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear that, good thing that you are ok.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok? Again, what could have happened.. a spontaneous decompression of his tc when the rear glass shattered?