Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HELP!How can i remove the fine scratches?!!UPDATED!!WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP!How can i remove the fine scratches?!!UPDATED!!WOW!!

So... i know there is DIY topic about how to remove scratches.. so i got the 1500 sandpaper... the rubbing compound and polishing compound.. damp t shirt and a micfrofiber cloth.....

1) i washed my car , dried...
2) wet sanded the spot (scratch was not that deep so i didnt need to use paint, i only scratched twice not too hard and only for short time
3) i used rubbing compound with the damp t shirt........ ( it looked much better)

but i could see a lot of fine scratches ( i will post up some pics so u can see)

because it wasnt perfect i bought polishing compound ( i know i should buy clearcoat compound but i called turtlewax and they said thats what i need.. okay.. i bought it.. used it with microfiber cloth and... it is better a veeeeery little bit............. but not too much...

so the "big" scratch is gone from a few step away u couldnt see anything.. but if u go close and some light are reflecting in that spot u could see all the fine scratches and on that spot the paint reflect everything much worst...

so...
Q:
1) i know i souldnt force the sanding.. but i should go with circular motion or back and forth? up and down?
2) how about the rubbing compound??? t shirt is enough or use microfiber? circular motion or not? really light touch or force it and scrub it?
3) i should get clear coat compound insteadof polishing compound?

ps: using the rubbing or polishing compound more than one time will not make the scratches dissappear..................

and i tried the same stuff on my co worker and my boss car and 1 of the car was dark greend and the othger 1 was black and on those colors, those fine scratches are visible 2-3 times better !!! ((

so pls help me out how to do it.. maybe i should use something else or what??

this is how big is the differents between the two sideskirts.. u can see wich one is reflecting better and wich one is not and it has sratches.... it has scratches ALL OVER the surface!!!

if i touch it it feels really smooth and perfect

UPDATE!!!

so.. because i have new sideskirts i took some time and did some practice on the old sideskirts and im AMAZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIRST: even the ( turtlewax) rubbing compound will scratch your perfect paint!!! ( i tested it and it did)

so.. i wetsanded a perfect spot (sanpaper = 1500) then applied the turtlewax rubbing compound and i used only back and forth up and down motions.. no circular movements!
i had to force the rubbing a little bit because if i dont do it the dullness will not disappear....

after that i used the turtlewax polishing compound by hand ( using a microfiber towel)

it did some changes ( will show u on pics)

then i took my bufffing machine and did some polishing with that ( i didnt wanted to do it until now because everyone said : i could make big problems with that.. ( but i tryed and it looks AWESOME!! ( i will show u on the pics)

so what i did... ( bluetaped a part) applied a LOT of polishing compound and worked on it with the buffing machine.. i didint push it hard ( forced it) i just let the machine work by itself.. i was buffing 1 minute.. then reapplied a bunch of the polishing compound again.. and buffing again.. i did this a few times and all i can tell: it looks almost just like a new paintjob.. its not 100% perfect but its MUCH MUCH MUCH better!!!

so here is all the pics:

[damn.. the server is down i cant see any of the pics.. it should work in a few hours ! check back later because i swear: it worth a look!

on the 2 first pics u can see the differents between using only rubbing compound or using rubbing compound then using the polishing compound by hand

on all the other pics u can see how did it look like when i used the rubbing then the polishing compound method ///// using the buffing machine with the polishing compound
Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not just use a buffer to start with
Old 12-26-2007, 08:27 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

1500 grit seems to be a little too coarse.. depends on the application though.. on the safe side, i start with 4000 and work up from there if i need too

use plenty of soapy water and wet sand in a back and forth motion... not circles!!! and DO NOT force it!! you have to gentle with it... and go with the direction of the scratch as well.. remove a bit in the surrounding area as well... not just the scratch... you want to smooth out the general area.

our clearcoat is very thin and if you go too far, you are SCREWED.

go in with the rubbing compound with vigorous movements, while going back and forth with the scratch. again... do not use alot of force. (if you have one and know how to use it properly, a high-speed orbital will help alot during this process)

this will bring back the shine.. after that, finish up with a polish and wax.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Try www.autopia.org for any detailing/finishing issues...

But to answer your question...try going from 1500 to 2000 using water with soap in it for lube and make sure you keep the spot wet at all times. You can use rubbing compound but you'll need to follow it with a polish. If you're doing it by hand you're going to need to rub the compound and polish for a while. There's a tutorial on Autopia for getting rid of scracthes and it details every step. It's either in the 'Learning' or 'University' section under 'Scratch Repair'.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks i will read it... btw i should get clearcoat compound instead of polishing compound? or maybe its the same?

and yeah: i did circular motion with the sandpaper.. but i tried to do back and forth movements but it did scratches... if i go too soft on the rubbing compound then it will not help me out.. so i have to force it just a little bit...

with the turtlewax polishing compound i didnt get back the perfect look so i think i should try something else
Old 12-27-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

WEt sanding you need togo from the 1500 to 2000 to 3000 to 4000 to 5000 then rub then buff then polish........keep it wet and no pressure....let the grit do the work........no circles........sand withthe scratch and then across the area in a 45 degree across the grain to keep from gettign a divit........you can make a piece of wood shine if you rub and buff it long enough...........polish is the last step and a good buffer wheel can make or break the work.........
Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

hmm looks like this threa would be a help to me, i got few to work with lol
Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok but what should i use for polish?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can cut the clearcoat, but as mentioned above, you'd want to be careful since the clearcoat is very thin. Otherwise you'd burn it. But it's easy to do and works for many clearcoat scratches which is what it sounds like you have.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUMP!!! update in the first post!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all the pics is working now!!! check it!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 AM

damn.....nice speculation on the marks