Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Help. small rock chips on my windshield!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help. small rock chips on my windshield!!!

hey guys... i need help on how to remove these rock chips... these are not the ones that you can feel with your fingernails... they are very small, very shallow, and A LOT!!! what happened was on that one very windy day, that i was going home, and there were a lot of pebbles and debris that were being picked up by the wind that it hit my windshield and created small rock chips... ive tried several window cleaners to think maybe they can be removed, but a no go. even tried clay bar, and no luck there either. what do you guys recommend, or i should do? i dont want to replace my windshield just because of this. thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help. small rock chips on my windshield!!!

Originally Posted by bluaeon
what happened was on that one very windy day, that i was going home, and there were a lot of pebbles and debris that were being picked up by the wind that it hit my windshield and created small rock chips...
Tell me about it. My tC got raped by wind-blown debris on that insanely windy day. I wasn't even driving, I was parked at the time. I tried to claim it on my insurance but they didn't buy it. I ended up having to buff out most of the scratches and getting a bodyshop to fix the rest.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 AM
SL Member

A lot of people have them, many have complained about the glass, including me. I have hundreds of them. Plus a few larger ones.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 PM
SL Member

I had a crack in my windshield that started off about 2 inches long. Now it goes across my whole windshield...=-[
Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

if you get a small chip/crack, better have it sealed so they wont grow..
Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have them too. I wouldn't worry about it. But keep an eye on them. If they start to spider, get it taken care of right away before you have to replace your whole windshield.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I have a small one on the side right now for about 10months already but never grew.. it doesnt bother me its just like dirt haha
Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys should get it taken care of. I just got a chip a few weeks ago and got it fixed from abra autobody and glass. It was free of charge for me because of insurance. A lot of insurances will cover it if you have full coverage. Look into it... its worth it in the long wrong so you wont have to replace a whole windshield
Old 01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help. small rock chips on my windshield!!!

Originally Posted by bluaeon
hey guys... i need help on how to remove these rock chips... these are not the ones that you can feel with your fingernails... they are very small, very shallow, and A LOT!!! what happened was on that one very windy day, that i was going home, and there were a lot of pebbles and debris that were being picked up by the wind that it hit my windshield and created small rock chips... ive tried several window cleaners to think maybe they can be removed, but a no go. even tried clay bar, and no luck there either. what do you guys recommend, or i should do? i dont want to replace my windshield just because of this. thanks!
Out of curiosity, when and where did this happen to you? Last Thurs I believe it was, my friend was driving on the 210 Westbound near Riverside Ave and his car was raped by the "pebbley wind". Riverside Ave is where they have this construction going on so there is a rock quarry. He had to have his entire windshield replaced (~$219) and he will soon be due for repainting of his right side, replacement of the side windows, and have a quarter sized dent popped out. The paint looks like the entire passenger side was sand blasted.

His insurance will be covering it with payment of his deductible. It falls under comprehensive coverage.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ i was actually at 99/5 FWY by bakersfield on my way home... it was windy as hell that my car had hard time going up those mountains, plus those pebbles kicking up and tumble weeds... argh!! but yeah... thanks for the comments guys... i will look into my insurance, if they cover those kinds of claims.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most windshield replacement companies offer a service ro repair those cracks. it's some type of window filler. it doesn't fully remove the crack it just fills it in so that it wont get larger.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best thing to do is have insurance that has a windshield plan.