Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HID Brightness...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can I have that guarantee as well????
Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And boy this forum is filled with off topic posts....
Old 12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sure
Old 12-13-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Oznium_com
Sure

spec sheet please plus how about placing this info on your website with that guarantee.

user of oznium :

can you check your connection plug and take a pic and convince those of us who still doubt.

one last thing... show scionlife user how much current is present during startup.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi All.

I just came across this thread and I'm still surprised to see people claiming that a harness is not needed for an aftermarket HID kit.

Here are several reasons why:

1) This McCulloch dealer fully admits that his kits have issues when running without a harness and posts a thread to teach people how to MAKE ONE...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2632686

To save you a click, here is what it says:

I began selling some mcculloch hid kits and a few people including myself ran into a problem with the aftermarket kit. The lights would flicker on and off repeatedly as if it wasn’t receiving enough power to ignite the ballast. I couldn’t exactly pinpoint where the problem was. Whether it was the oem relay or the small gauge oem wires. I kept sending kits back to the manufacturer thinking it was a defective ballast until Doug (slammedvwgolf) suggested the fore mentioned problem. I researched it online and it proved true.
Adding an independent relay can either fix a problem or avoid problems in the future. It’s very necessary if your hid kit is aftermarket, may not be necessary for oem kits. In my opinion I rather feed the ballasts their own juice straight from the battery since these cars weren’t designed for high intensity discharged lighting.

Ok enough yapping.. here’s the how-to-
2) We've already seen things go wrong when people have plugged in ballasts directly to the OEM headlight plug.

Like this one: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201856

3) Is it because it's too difficult to install with a harness? The mobile hid wire harness has literally 5 connections:

1) Power to (+) terminal on battery.
2) Ground to (-) terminal on battery.
3) Passenger side ballast plug.
4) Driver's side ballast plug.
5) OEM headlight plugin to trigger the relay.

It's super easy to install and EVERY Mobile HID kit gets shipped with one. If anyone has purchased a kit that did not come with a harness - harnesses are half priced for ScionLife members - you get one for $20 shipped!

http://www.mobilehid.com/scionlife.htm

As far as the original poster's question about different bulbs from various manufacturers being brighter than others and the answer is YES. There is a difference. I'm also a vendor on NSXPrime where I offer a slightly modified version of the same kit for NSX owners. One member was wondering why his McCulloch bulbs were so dim and when one of them burned out, he picked up a set of MobileHID 6k bulbs and was pretty happy about the outcome:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showp...77&postcount=7

To save you a click, this is what he said:

Clifford,

I replaced my burnt McCulloch bulb with the ones you sent me. I wanted to complete the task while the sun was still out, so I replaced both bulbs this afternoon. I should have left the working McCulloch bulb in one headlight for comparison; yours are much brighter. I've always thought the McCullochs were a bit dim, and the beam didn't extend as far as I would have liked. There were times when I thought that cars didn't see me because my headlights weren't bright enough. Even though I'm still using the McCulloch ballast, just changing the bulbs has made a huge difference. I've driven in front of MR's xB2 at night, and his lights looked very bright. I'd say that mine now look similarly bright.

Although both kits are rated at 6000k, the McCullochs had a blue/green tinge. Your bulbs appear to be pure white. Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the bulbs!

Mike
Also, here's an image of the McCulloch kit on the left and the Philips on the right:

Hope that helps.

Also, with regards to the comment about HID bulbs having the gas pocket in a position that is not the same as a halogen bulb, here's an image of a 9006 halogen bulb compared to a 9006 HID bulb. The locations of the light source look pretty close to me...

Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cliffud
Hi All.

I just came across this thread and I'm still surprised to see people claiming that a harness is not needed for an aftermarket HID kit.
Phil at Oznium sells quality products . He also backed it with that warranty . Now why would he give that warranty if he isnt 100% sure that his kit is good quality ! With that warranty his company will lose $650 if it messes up for something he made $240 on ! He actually has his kit on his own tC !
Old 12-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Greetings Cliffud,

Thanks so much for your input!

VWVortex is a great site - a lot of good info there.

You certainly have created an elegant solution for your customers who want the added protection of relays.

I really like the layout of your MobileHID site. It is really clean. Also noticed on your LinkedIn profile, you went to Arizona State. Sweet! I went there for just over a year.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Phil

--

Pic of me hiking up Camelback Mountain a couple weeks ago!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cliffud
Hi All.

Here are several reasons why:

1) This McCulloch dealer fully admits that his kits have issues when running without a harness and posts a thread to teach people how to MAKE ONE...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2632686

To save you a click, here is what it says:

I began selling some mcculloch hid kits and a few people including myself ran into a problem with the aftermarket kit. The lights would flicker on and off repeatedly as if it wasn’t receiving enough power to ignite the ballast. I couldn’t exactly pinpoint where the problem was. Whether it was the oem relay or the small gauge oem wires. I kept sending kits back to the manufacturer thinking it was a defective ballast until Doug (slammedvwgolf) suggested the fore mentioned problem. I researched it online and it proved true.
Adding an independent relay can either fix a problem or avoid problems in the future. It’s very necessary if your hid kit is aftermarket, may not be necessary for oem kits. In my opinion I rather feed the ballasts their own juice straight from the battery since these cars weren’t designed for high intensity discharged lighting.

Ok enough yapping.. here’s the how-to-
2) We've already seen things go wrong when people have plugged in ballasts directly to the OEM headlight plug.

Like this one: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201856

3) Is it because it's too difficult to install with a harness? The mobile hid wire harness has literally 5 connections:

1) Power to (+) terminal on battery.
2) Ground to (-) terminal on battery.
3) Passenger side ballast plug.
4) Driver's side ballast plug.
5) OEM headlight plugin to trigger the relay.

It's super easy to install and EVERY Mobile HID kit gets shipped with one. If anyone has purchased a kit that did not come with a harness - harnesses are half priced for ScionLife members - you get one for $20 shipped!

http://www.mobilehid.com/scionlife.htm

As far as the original poster's question about different bulbs from various manufacturers being brighter than others and the answer is YES. There is a difference. I'm also a vendor on NSXPrime where I offer a slightly modified version of the same kit for NSX owners. One member was wondering why his McCulloch bulbs were so dim and when one of them burned out, he picked up a set of MobileHID 6k bulbs and was pretty happy about the outcome:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showp...77&postcount=7

To save you a click, this is what he said:

Clifford,

I replaced my burnt McCulloch bulb with the ones you sent me. I wanted to complete the task while the sun was still out, so I replaced both bulbs this afternoon. I should have left the working McCulloch bulb in one headlight for comparison; yours are much brighter. I've always thought the McCullochs were a bit dim, and the beam didn't extend as far as I would have liked. There were times when I thought that cars didn't see me because my headlights weren't bright enough. Even though I'm still using the McCulloch ballast, just changing the bulbs has made a huge difference. I've driven in front of MR's xB2 at night, and his lights looked very bright. I'd say that mine now look similarly bright.

Although both kits are rated at 6000k, the McCullochs had a blue/green tinge. Your bulbs appear to be pure white. Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the bulbs!

Mike
Also, here's an image of the McCulloch kit on the left and the Philips on the right:

Hope that helps.

Also, with regards to the comment about HID bulbs having the gas pocket in a position that is not the same as a halogen bulb, here's an image of a 9006 halogen bulb compared to a 9006 HID bulb. The locations of the light source look pretty close to me...

Funny.... I thought it was the ballasts that will change the output not the bulb..........
Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also searching "what is the best hid kit for my car" on google answers all your questions...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ar&btnG=Search

Top search = OZNIUM!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh. do the same on yahoo.com and mobilehid.com comes up at number 1.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=bes...p=mss&ei=UTF-8
Old 12-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

We all know Yahoo! is for girls (something Borat would say!)
Old 12-14-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Oznium_com
We all know Yahoo! is for girls (something Borat would say!)

Only wussys use yahoo... haha

Old 12-14-2007, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha.

ok - google "hid kits" or "hid bulbs"... ;) having spots 3 and 4 ain't bad either.