Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HID wont fire up after a week. help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HID wont fire up after a week. help?

hello,

ive had my HID kit fro mobilehid for about a week now. suddenly today my passenger side refused to ignite. i tried to turn off the light then turn them back on but that was no good.

i then tried disconnecting the connections and then reconnect them to see if i had a loose one somewhere, but that didnt work either.

next i tried switching the bulbs between the two headlights to see if maybe the bulb was bad but it is not.

i dunno what the problem could be short of a bad ballast maybe? relay? but if it was a relay wouldnt i have problems with both sides? same for a faulty or blown fuse.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more than likely you have a bad ballast.. do u have stock hl's or the ones before the hids see if they light up if they do its not a fuse.. then its defintely a ballast issue.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

try switching the ballast from the working one to the other side... like tcboi513 said maybe its the fuse... but im guessing most likely its gonna be the ballast..
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ask cliff, im sure hed be more than happy to help you out.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks everyone for the replies,

i just got home from work so im exhausted. im gonna try and switch the ballast and see if the passenger side fires up that way. if not ill have a go with the stock bulbs and see if its anything to do with something other than the HID kit, which i doubt.

if it is the ballast what would be the cause... just a bad one? maybe road dirt or whatever, the roads have been rather gross on long island lately.

if its NOT the ballast and the stock set up fires fine the i dunno what to do at that point.

thanks again
nick

btw driving at night with one headlight feels so embarrassing haha.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DUDE. i'm in the same situation as you! my drivers side won't ignite. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. i reconnected everything and checked the fuse, everything seemed to be in order. both ballasts have energy running through by the light indicator on them. but still my drivers side won't fire up. bahh i hate driving with one light too. had to take out my blue leds so i don't get pulled over lol. im trying to see if i can get a new ballast from where i ordered them... i hope they ship a new one..
Old 07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

old topic man, but i got a fix and perhaps i can help you out.

i ended up switching ballast from one side to the other, the problem seemed to "follow" on of the ballast, so by process of elimination i found out it was a bad ballast.

i have mobileHID. i ended up contacting them and explaining the situation. They were absolutely amazing. They agreed with me that it was a ballast issue and told me to take pictures of my faulty ballast and my set up.

they sent me a new ballast free of charge. i got it in 2 days.

everything works perfectly well now, its been 6 months since this happened, so the problems definitly fixed....

i dunno what HID company you bought from but try switching the ballast from side to side and see if thats the problem, either way contact the company!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh snap i did bump and old thread! lmao! yea, man i already contacted them.. i hope i can get a new ballast i've done everything you did to eliminate the possibilities. and so far, it HAS to be the ballast. btw, i got the f1 spec by 365motorwerk. i hope verythign goes out well for me..