Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

How should new paint look and feel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How should new paint look and feel?

I got my rear bumper replaced because and idiot backed into it. The paint the dealership applied, look kinda extra wavy. When the sun hits my car you definitely tell the difference between the rear bumper and the rest of the body panels. And in one spot you can actually feel a bit of roughness, like textured plastic. Is it normal for fresh pain to have this look and feel to it?

-Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Does the "wavy" paint kinda look like orange peel? If you aren't happy with the job they did you should be able to take it back and have them redo it.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The roughness is most likely overspray. I had mine in for repairs and it had a nice amount of overspray in various spots. Clay Bar will take that away. Also your dealership should have a lifetime gaurentee on the paint, so take it back and tell em.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, try the clay bar first. If that doesn't shine it up nicely ( and it won't fix any "waves" in the paint) then take that mess back to the dealer.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, actually orage peel would be a better way to describe it. Anyways, yes the paint has a life time warranty, so I'm gonna end up taking it back. Oh and I tried the clay on the part of the bumper where you see and feel the orange peel, and it didn't do nothing. The overspray might be too extreme for clay bar to remove alone. Wet sanding could probably do the trick, but I'm gonna see about a repaint first.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

complain and get it fixed
Old 08-14-2006, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a compliment on my bsp tC recently when i got my tires rotated. the guy said my car looks great, but too bad the paint job isn't. he said the paint could have been better it it wasn't orange peel all over. i've heard about "orange peel" b4, but i ddin't realize what it is until now. and i checked my car, the whole car is orange peel. i check other car, and it seems to be smoother.

i'm asking all you other tC owner to see if we all have orange peel paint, or am i part of a small percentage that suffers from it... i'll check other tC when i run into them.

i doubt it's anything to complain to the dealer about... so is this "orange peel" issue mean the paint has less quality or is it just a cosmetic thing???
Old 08-14-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

No orange peel here, but my friend wit a fiberglass body kit has it on the front and rear bumpers and side skirts. U should definitely complain maybe theyll even give u a JADA toy tC
Old 08-14-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you gotta get it color sanded down to like 1500 grit, then buffed out, trust me it'll look a lot better then, I'd try to get the dealership that painted it to do the sanding. I had my tC painted and had some orange peel, but didn't really know what it should look like, then I had it sanded and it looks like a mirror.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i assume your talking to nytcgunz about sanding the body kit down.

so it doesn't seem like there's anyting to complain about, it is what it is, and i guess the tC paint on my car is just ornage peel.

i don't care much for the jada toy, i already bought one. no big deal to me.