Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Indigo Ink Paint problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Indigo Ink Paint problems

hey yall, went to the dealership to finalize a few things and get paperwork behind me. it was also time to pick a color... i wasn't sure between Indgo or flint mica, they had an xA in the showroom in Indigo ink... so i took a close look cuz i dont like swirlmarks and iv heard bad things about dealer washes and so on... so i look reletively close and i notice spiderweb-like lines in swirling motions... ALL OVER THE CAR... me, my dad, and the sales guy looked at it for a while trying to figure it out and it seems that its in the clear coat and its "normal"....

i was wondering if any of you Indigo ink tC guys have these same shiny almost transparent spiderweb-like swirls in ur paint... i decided to go with flint mica by the way just to be safe but im in a holding pattern for a few weeks longer but ill live
Old 08-21-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if the answer is no say so, im trying to get some feed back because i still dont have my car and i still have a choice as to whether i want flint or Indigo ink
Old 08-21-2004, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

I hated how the dealer doesn't really know how to detail a car. After my first wash I noticed under certain lighting coditions that there were swirl marks and spider webs.

What I did was:
- wash the car with Dawn (dish soap) to get rid of old wax.
- then I used Perfect Shine Detailing Clay to get the paint perfectly smooth and preped for polishing.
- then two coats of 1Z Metallic Paint Polish one body panel at a time, to get rid of swirl marks.
- then to seal it off with I used NXT Generation Tech Wax 2 coats one panel at a time
-for longer lasting protection I use 2 coats of Hi-Tech Yellow Wax one panel at a time

The paint looks deeper and wetter than when I picked it up at the dealership, no more spiderwebs or swirls.

I use this process with my 93 4runner every fall and spring and the paint looks brand new. I plan on doing the same routine with the tC.

heres some pics:
car domain

I also posted this info on YourSciontC
Old 08-21-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thanks for all the info, kinda puts me at ease
Old 08-21-2004, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i had no proub with mine just a ____y wax job i just clayed it and zaino'ed it looks mint
Old 08-21-2004, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc_408
I hated how the dealer doesn't really know how to detail a car. After my first wash I noticed under certain lighting coditions that there were swirl marks and spider webs.

What I did was:
- wash the car with Dawn (dish soap) YourSciontC
Please get some better car-wash, dish soap is not the best. Try getting a PH balanced shampoo like blackfire gloss enhancing shampoo. The clay bar takes off the old wax, you do not need dish soap.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

what 408 did was used dawn to remove any old wax b4 rewaxing his car. Most wax mfgr.'s reccomend this. Obviously after waxing you'd use a car wash soap of your choice
Old 08-21-2004, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrSmiley
what 408 did was used dawn to remove any old wax b4 rewaxing his car. Most wax mfgr.'s reccomend this. Obviously after waxing you'd use a car wash soap of your choice
I stand corrected. I just do not see the point if you are claying it anyway. But the pros know a hell of a lot more than me.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been waiting for about 2 weeks now for my Indigo Ink tC (and it's driving me batty.) To calm my nerves I go to different scion forums and I've read literally thousands of posts ranging from what color to get to how to wash the car. Yours is the first I've ever seen regarding this spiderweb issue. I'd tend to agree with the other posters that it's got to be a dealer detailing issue and has nothing to do with the paint itself.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

408...sounds pretty involved and time consuming. how often do you do all that?
I want my new car to look good when I get it but I don't want to spend 6 hours every week washing and waxing it either.
btw, I have a 1990 honda civic commuter car and the sum total of my experience washing a car is paying the extra few bucks at the gas station to go through the car wash.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

only time you should use any kind of dish deturgent (dawn etc..) is to stip off your wax but if you clay like i did i strips off everything then start from scratch and ya dealers cant detail for ____ good luck
Old 08-22-2004, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

indigo ink is a really nice color.... put to gold rims and be a wannabe WRX... youll most like be attemted to race one. imitator!

i shouldve gotten indigo ink too... and get so gold rims... then me and my friend RSX would be like too (got gold rims and car color blue)
Old 08-22-2004, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well it seems like an isolated incident then... if its that simple to fix as posted above even if its time consuming, its well worth it for my first new car.... at this point its a matter of what color comes in first :?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the indigo ink tc and when i picked my tc up it did have some weird lookin spots on it and it concerned the hell out of me so i just took part of my shirt to wipe a small area and it came right out so it probably is just something with the products that the dealer use........ To this day my tc looks great except for the fact that i have what looks 2 very small waterspots on the hood........ except they dont come out no matter if you wax or scrub hard.......... i dunno what to do about that.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in my buddies Indigo Ink Pearl Corolla S and it had the same spider webbing on it.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chris0
408...sounds pretty involved and time consuming. how often do you do all that?
I want my new car to look good when I get it but I don't want to spend 6 hours every week washing and waxing it either.
I usually do that process 2 times a year with all my vehicles, one in fall before winter and one in spring before summer. And in between I wash the car once a month with Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash, and once a week I use a a california duster and wiped down with Meguiar's NXT Generation Spray Wax which takes a few minutes to do.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have it on mine, but I had it on my navy blue 88 vette too, I think it tends to show up better on that color, but it can come out with some work.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tc_408

What I did was:
- wash the car with Dawn (dish soap) to get rid of old wax.
- then I used Perfect Shine Detailing Clay to get the paint perfectly smooth and preped for polishing.
- then two coats of 1Z Metallic Paint Polish one body panel at a time, to get rid of swirl marks.
- then to seal it off with I used NXT Generation Tech Wax 2 coats one panel at a time
-for longer lasting protection I use 2 coats of Hi-Tech Yellow Wax one panel at a time

The paint looks deeper and wetter than when I picked it up at the dealership, no more spiderwebs or swirls.

I use this process with my 93 4runner every fall and spring and the paint looks brand new. I plan on doing the same routine with the tC.

heres some pics:
car domain

I also posted this info on YourSciontC

Pretty much I use the same process as tc 408:

1. Wash top to bottom
2. Clay when needed
3. 1Z metallic paint (prep the paint)
4. 50/50 alcohol mix to wipe down the wax from 1Z MP
5. Klasse AIO
6. Klasse SG

Ive done this twice on my tC having 2 Coats of SG currently.

No matter what you are eventually going to get spider webs on any paint. Its just certain paint will show more than others. Your going to see more on darker paint.
If you use these steps washing, claying, polishing, sealant or wax, your car is going to look good. Here is just a few of the finish product that I have done:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24752

also check this website also: http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html

good luck to ya, and enjoy your new car!

X :D
Old 08-23-2004, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, sounds you guys know a lot of how to keep your car clean and look nice.

my question is, how to wash out/remove the little dust build up/debris ... i really have no idea what it calls, but it look like some rust on the metal panel. since it's a brand new car, so I don't think that's rust. I am never able to remove them, normal car wash doesn't work...

sorry for being stupid...but, what is 408?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by haihengh
wow, sounds you guys know a lot of how to keep your car clean and look nice.

my question is, how to wash out/remove the little dust build up/debris ... i really have no idea what it calls, but it look like some rust on the metal panel. since it's a brand new car, so I don't think that's rust. I am never able to remove them, normal car wash doesn't work...

sorry for being stupid...but, what is 408?
Try claying the car. Sounds like you got some overspray. Once you clay it wash it again, then put some prewax cleaner and polish, then wax the baby. All in all it will take ya about 5-6 hours, but the work is well worth it. Gets your paint smooth again...

click her for this website. http://www.autopia.org/
then go to the forums and go to autopia university or better yet click on Learn on top hand right corner.

good luck to ya
x :D

Quick Reply: Indigo Ink Paint problems