Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

IS300 Fog Lights on tC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by dollar
Originally Posted by Neothin
i'd rather buy something i like w/o having to mod it. those probably dont have a cutoff either..
understandable if you want to spend the extra $100 on the VRDs, or take the time to do the IS300 foglight conversion correctly.... which honestly, spraying a film of yellow or black or whatever color you wanted wouldnt be very hard... a 5 year old could do that. dont take that personal, but honestly, the VRDs are priced too high and dont look like they put out much light.
The eBay lights you have posted have thin, poorly sealed plastic lenses and a bad reflector design (low light output). If you want to put cheap parts on your car, then go for it, but if you want quality, you shouldn't be put off by the price of VRDs.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
i'd rather buy something i like w/o having to mod it. those probably dont have a cutoff either..
understandable if you want to spend the extra $100 on the VRDs, or take the time to do the IS300 foglight conversion correctly.... which honestly, spraying a film of yellow or black or whatever color you wanted wouldnt be very hard... a 5 year old could do that. dont take that personal, but honestly, the VRDs are priced too high and dont look like they put out much light.
The eBay lights you have posted have thin, poorly sealed plastic lenses and a bad reflector design (low light output). If you want to put cheap parts on your car, then go for it, but if you want quality, you shouldn't be put off by the price of VRDs.
Im not cheap, trust me, I have over $14k invested in mods on my A4. What I was saying was that the VRDs look like they have horrible light output. Everyone whos posted pics of the VRDs show bad output. Now, if you were to take the ebay fogs that I posted, bake off the lens, and put projectors in there then that would be a much better foglight. I just like the way that the ones I posted off ebay sit up at the front of the bumper rather than back like the VRDs... does that make more sense
Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yes, and i also know that anything you buy on ebay is cheap and poorly sealed. but a simple tube of clear silicone would fix that, and they would have to be resealed anyways after taken apart and installed with projectors followed by 3000k hids
Old 01-18-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Side note, not to get off topic... but 2fast4you, who owns the white TC in the bottom leftish corner of this pic? with the carbon fiber hood and lip? I want to check more pics of that car out online.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

The light output on the VRDs are very good and they do make a difference on the road.

I've seen those eBay lights in person and installing projectors won't help one bit unless you redesign or hack the housing; just take a look at the sample photos and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, the light assembly sits further back in the ducts than the VRDs do if you are concerned about that.

In the long run, you're still going a more expensive route than buying VRDs or doing an IS300 conversion by trying to mod these lights... you can't polish a turd.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member

I do agree with 2fast4you about paying a little more for a much better quality. Dollar, are you sure that you wanna retrofit the projector into a plastic housing with plastic front cover? Won't that melt the plastic cover? And I am really curious about the cut off for these orange ebay lights thoguh.......
Old 01-19-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The light output on the VRDs are very good and they do make a difference on the road.

I've seen those eBay lights in person and installing projectors won't help one bit unless you redesign or hack the housing; just take a look at the sample photos and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, the light assembly sits further back in the ducts than the VRDs do if you are concerned about that.

In the long run, you're still going a more expensive route than buying VRDs or doing an IS300 conversion by trying to mod these lights... you can't polish a turd.
haha, thanks man, also thanks for the pics.