Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

LED Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LED Parking Lights

I few months ago I switched out my parking lights to a pair of blue LED's. They weren't anything special, payed a few dollars for them. They burned out after a month... kinda figured but I found these PIAA's just recently. Granted, they are more expensive but im wondering if anyone put these into their Tc and if they lasted longer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19407...#ht_3750wt_941
Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't bother with PIAA. They're over priced and you're just paying for the name. If you want leds, go with superbrightleds.com or autolumination.com.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

superbrightleds.com FTW!!!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got some from superbrightLEDs a while back, and they burned out after 3 months. Customer service said sorry cant help you, they are not made to be a a hot area without proper ventilation.
I would actually like some blue leds too, ones that wont burn out? Any recommendations. Or specific products from superbrightLEDs.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm surprise that it burnt out in 3 months and is sitting in the parking light but then again autolumination has been a hit and miss for me after shopping from them fro so long. Some of their LED are great but I guess it depends on the batch. I remember I had some issues with their leds like DOAs or color inconsistency.

I have some led for the city light (inside the low beam housing) and the HID is pretty much hovering over them. I haven't had them burn out yet. I do a lot of night driving. I had them for a year now.

Pretty much, any LED are not made for the extreme heat without proper ventilation or heatsink.

Last edited by emptystreets130; 01-18-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they're just parking light bulbs. really not an area where you can scrimp and get a cheap pair, or splurge and get something over the top. just buy some proper sized bulbs in the color you want, and you're good to go. i have PIAA bulbs in there. got them in a light bluish color. they work. you can't put LED's in there. sorry, they overheat and burnout.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just realize that this topic is posted in the Interior and ICE....
Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 PM

I use Meng Motorsports white 194's. They come in white, blue, red and green. I bought from them because I've had mine burn out fast too (superbrightleds). I've had these for a couple months now on my license plate and parking/city/driving lights and they're still holding up. Supposedly they're more moisture resistant and specifically made to handle the stress of being in a headlight housing.

http://stores.mengmotorsports.com/-s...led/Detail.bok

"You wont find this same bulb in every store. Our wedge bulb was designed for long term continuous use, so they will not easily burn out or start flickering. Comes with a built in heat sink, is quake proof, moisture resistant, and is assembled in a strong aluminum housing. Most bulbs that come in this style only utilize a three chip led array but ours use six chips that give off an even brighter light. These bulbs are so reliable that we even use them in our headlights on our daily drivers! "

FYI, I'm also running 35watt HID's now, so the inside of my housing isn't as hot as a housing using a 55watt bulb.

Last edited by mechaBORED; 01-18-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by emptystreets130
i just realize that this topic is posted in the Interior and ICE....
fixed.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you use your highbeams a lot?

A lot of people with 05-07 tCs would swap their parking lights with LEDs and they would burn out from the heat of the low beam. I'm pretty sure the parking light is now in the high beam housing - so if you use your high beam a lot, that might kill the LEDs.

Thing is the heat slowly ruins the LEDs and significantly shortens their life.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mechaBORED
I use Meng Motorsports white 194's. They come in white, blue, red and green. I bought from them because I've had mine burn out fast too (superbrightleds). I've had these for a couple months now on my license plate and parking/city/driving lights and they're still holding up. Supposedly they're more moisture resistant and specifically mad to handle the stress of being in a headlight housing.

"You wont find this same bulb in every store. Our wedge bulb was designed for long term continuous use, so they will not easily burn out or start flickering. Comes with a built in heat sink, is quake proof, moisture resistant, and is assembled in a strong aluminum housing. Most bulbs that come in this style only utilize a three chip led array but ours use six chips that give off an even brighter light. These bulbs are so reliable that we even use them in our headlights on our daily drivers! "

FYI, I'm also running 35watt HID's now, so the inside of my housing isn't as hot as a housing using a 55watt bulb.
+1 for Meng Motorspots, great products and great customer service.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Here's a shot of my White LED's from Meng. Super bright and clean white! Caught some crazy glare from the camera though. Almost looks like HID's in this pic. They do complement my 6000k set from HidExtra very well though.

Meng's License Plate Shot for better reference

Last edited by mechaBORED; 01-18-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mechaBORED
I use Meng Motorsports white 194's. They come in white, blue, red and green. I bought from them because I've had mine burn out fast too (superbrightleds). I've had these for a couple months now on my license plate and parking/city/driving lights and they're still holding up. Supposedly they're more moisture resistant and specifically mad to handle the stress of being in a headlight housing.

I got my interior leds and license plate leds from Meng Motorsports also. they work great, one quit working about about 2 months and i contacted them and they sent another one... customer service was awesome!