Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Multiple Tint violation tickets

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Aik
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciontCya
And one last point here. I have two very beautiful daughters who have cars with 15% ALL AROUND. They have been pulled over five times between them.
Anyone wanna guess how many tickets they have received?

Step on up!
let me guess, zero tickets.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default genral rule in cali

geting a ticket depens on the city , the cop and how u driving. genral rule in cali i was told by a cop was the front windows the cop have to see u clearly.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Um, you should think before posting.
REAR WINDOW TINT IS LEGAL.
So, please think before you ruin the thread.
Obviously, No one is arguing that. The statement you made that merely rolling down the windows in a 2dr tC somehow enables the cop approaching from the rear to see anything before he gets right up to the window is what the comment was about. And also, If its less than the amount allowed than it is illegal anyways- rear window or not. In VA, rear window must not be less than 35 %. But thanks for your insight
Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by Shaka_Z
It just seems to me that many of these types of tickets are arbitrarily decided for the sole purpose of generating revenue from the taxpayers in such a way that it shifts accountability away from the lawmakers. they really aren't made with public safety - or officer safety - in mind. and yes, it is possible to pick and choose the laws... it's called VOTING for candidates who see things YOUR way.
Again, perfect world and all that... But I guarantee you there isn't a single elected state official that will make window tint an election issue unless an officer is shot, otherwise, there are 100 other more important issues in each state. If you think window tinting is that important in an issue right now, I highly suggest running for office and see how far you get.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aik
And one last point here. I have two very beautiful daughters who have cars with 15% ALL AROUND. They have been pulled over five times between them.

Step on up!
You win!
So, when anyone tells me it's a "safety issue" or for the "cop's safety" I say, yeah, right.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by Aik

Step on up!
You win!
So, when anyone tells me it's a "safety issue" or for the "cop's safety" I say, yeah, right.
OK... you discovered the truth. The whole reason the tint law was passed was to scam men driving tuner cars out of money, I guess you better tell Arnold he's busted. Don't bother searching for the "Male Tuner Tint Law" on Google, the State of California threatened to sue them if the link wasn't removed.

Or the real universal truth: Women, especially good looking women, have a knack for talking their way out of tickets unless the cop is a woman, ___, or in a REALLY bad mood. YELOSUB probably won't publicly admit it, but that's one police stereotype that rings true across the world; don't bother disputing it, I've seen my Mom, Sister, and ex-girl-friends do it, and I'm sure your daughters talked their way out of those tickets as well.

Of course anyone, whether you're a man or a woman, can talk your way out of a ticket as long as you are respectful and don't give attitude to the officer. Judging from the responses here, f**ked up attitudes is the reason many of you are regular contributors to the courthouse.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Now now now - I have law enforcement folks as friends and in my family, and I can say with 100% attach-my-fingers-to-a-lie-detector certainty that I am the most polite and respectful guy when pulled over, which has been three times in 31 years of driving/riding.

Sorry, you know by my posts on this that I take the responsibility, but it's a bogus law, and to say it's enforced "randomly" is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

I do feel they target certain car types - why else would I get nailed on the night I specified?
That cop picked my car out at night, while letting tons of cars with 5% drive right by him.
In case you haven't heard/seen/read, SoCal is a place where "ricers" and street racers are being targeted for modded cars due to racing/crashing and killing people.

I know I got hit 'cause I drive a car that looks like the offender's cars do.

If I only had a nice set of....
Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tint violations

I do agree with "SciontCya" with the fact that cops do single out cars that have been "tuned" in some way or the other. Reason being is because when I was pulled over...the cop came up to my car and asked me "do u know why i pulled u over" I said No..I wasn't speeding or anything...he says "your blue lights, your dark tint, and you have a lowered car". then he goes on and asks "do u have anything under the hood" I said NO. He then proceeds to give me a ticket for my tint. as he finishes and makes me sign the little red box. he says "change out your "blue" lights also. Now ok....I have HID at 4300K (WHITE) there is no way in hell they could've been blue either. so clearly this cop KNEW about cars and the little "modifications" that are done by many cars. HE SINGLED ME OUT BASED ON MY CAR!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Sorry, you know by my posts on this that I take the responsibility, but it's a bogus law, and to say it's enforced "randomly" is an UNDERSTATEMENT.[

I do feel they target certain car types - why else would I get nailed on the night I specified?
That cop picked my car out at night, while letting tons of cars with 5% drive right by him.
In case you haven't heard/seen/read, SoCal is a place where "ricers" and street racers are being targeted for modded cars due to racing/crashing and killing people.

I know I got hit 'cause I drive a car that looks like the offender's cars do.
Yes, they do target certain car types and I am very familiar with the fact our type of cars are profiled for illegal mods because many have OBVIOUS ILLEGAL MODS; I assure you it isn't random. I drive the same car many here do and don't get pulled over for equipment violations. Why? Mostly because I've studied the mods that draw attention: fart cans/"JDM-style" exhausts, tinted windows, large wings, and my personal favorite: front mounted bar and plate intercoolers in cut out bumpers that scream "look at me, I have made an illegal engine modifications!" And as you've mentioned, yes, a vast majority of street racers drive sub-compact import cars equipped exactly the same way. I'm sure if street racer's switched to the cars on the street/highway with you that night (most likely a collection of luxury SUVs, family sedans, and minivans) and didn't see our type of cars nearly nightly in high-speed accident scenes and fatalities, they might start going after those vehicles instead. If you take a look at police/CHP statistics, I seriously doubt you'll too many minivans with cold-air intakes, bolt-on turbo kits, and dark tinted front windows. Sadly, we must except the burden of the image many foolish import owners have earned.

If you continue throwing illegal mods in the the face of cops, of course they are going to target you, and you're to perpetuate the "tuner" stereotypes.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Default Re: tint violations

Originally Posted by stCx86
HE SINGLED ME OUT BASED ON MY CAR!!!
Judging from your own admission, you have dark tint (CVC 2670 , and non-DOT approved HID headlights that are brighter than stock (CVC 24011). It sounds like you managed to avoid another violation with the lights because he didn't want to pop your hood and check for a DOT label, perhaps he something better to do with his time.

And yes, he did target your vehicle because you had obvious illegal modifications.

so clearly this cop KNEW about cars and the little "modifications" that are done by many cars.
They have a pamphlet, perhaps you've seen it? --> http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
Old 05-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Along with the streetlegal page, here's another quick list... http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/equipviolations.html
Old 05-28-2007, 02:11 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Judging from your own admission, you have dark tint (CVC 2670 , and non-DOT approved HID headlights that are brighter than stock (CVC 24011). It sounds like you managed to avoid another violation with the lights because he didn't want to pop your hood and check for a DOT label, perhaps he something better to do with his time.

And yes, he did target your vehicle because you had obvious illegal modifications.
I agree and honestly I would have got you too, you made it too easy. Honestly if I do go back to the Killa, then I'll lighten my tint back up to 50 (you can still see in easily) and chuck my header. This goes back to taking on responsibility. You made the mods to the vehicle knowing they were illegal, now accept the tag that comes with it. I could understand if your car was legal and all you had was: wheels and a custom paint. Then I'd get the frustration, or even if Cali just change dup on you after you already had the mods.

As my car is now, if I was in Cali or if state laws in FL were like there then....True enough I'd be mad that I got pulled over because of the mods, but not at the cop; I'd be mad at myself, the money that would be coughed up behind the ticket and putting it back to where it should be.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok... this is what I am talking about when I say it seems that these laws are being made for the sole purpose of generating revenue...

Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.
by allowing officers to cite a driver based solely on their own judgement and without requiring them to actually test at the time of the stop, the state is basically able to get the driver to shell out money whether they are in violation or not, by saying 'go get it tested'... of course getting tested is not free. Then they have to further waste their time getting the citation nullified by showing their proof of legality. Under these circumstances, can a driver just show an officer proof of legality to get out of a ticket in the first place? I think not.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I admit I am making a few assumptions in my last post concerning whether kali smog testing is free or not etc., but that was mainly for dramatic effect.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:42 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

most places they're free if you fail, but i don't know the fine print of that cause i've never taken one.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Ok... this is what I am talking about when I say it seems that these laws are being made for the sole purpose of generating revenue...

Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.
by allowing officers to cite a driver based solely on their own judgement and without requiring them to actually test at the time of the stop, the state is basically able to get the driver to shell out money whether they are in violation or not, by saying 'go get it tested'. [snip] Then they have to further waste their time getting the citation nullified by showing their proof of legality. Under these circumstances, can a driver just show an officer proof of legality to get out of a ticket in the first place? I think not.
You need to dig a little deeper to understand the reasoning behind the law, this is the product of a campaign by the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) to standardize noise levels and testing for aftermarket exhausts nationwide (particularly CA, NH, RI & MA).

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=52339

The SEMA-sponsored exhaust laws REQUIRE testing using the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 in a "controlled enviroment", not roadside Sound Level Pressure (SPL) meters which testing can be contaminated by passing vehicles and other ambient noises. Under the SAE test, a calibrated microphone and/or sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle. The engine is revved to three quarters of rated horsepower (~4,275 rpm for 2005-06 tC, slightly higher for '07-'08) and the highest sound reading is recorded [Maximum legal sound level is 95dB A-weighted]. This testing MUST be conducted by or under the supervision of SAE certified technicians, not patrol officers.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are missing my point... laws like this allow officers to too easily abuse their authority - at the very least they should pre-test the offending vehicle in the field so they can at least back up their 'judgement' with some kind of instrumented measurement - THEN send you to get it properly tested.

also, you didn't mention whether the testing was free or not, and under what circumstances... if an officer cites you, and tells you to get tested, only to have your setup found LEGAL, I think it should be completely free, the citation nullified and the mistake should go on the cop's record (not serious about that, but it might make him think twice and be more careful about who he pulls over and why). [edit]the only way the government should be able to fine you or convict you should be that it proves you are illegal from the start. chain of evidence and all that.

just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

you are missing my point... laws like this allow officers to too easily abuse their authority - at the very least they should pre-test the offending vehicle in the field so they can at least back up their 'judgement' with some kind of instrumented measurement - THEN send you to get it properly tested.
They used to do that but roadside testing was ineffective because of road noise contamination, the fact cops aren't mechanics or audio engineers, and there's no mechanism in place for equipment calibration checks and documentation like there are for radar guns and cruiser speedometers. Frankly it's more unfair to the driver/owner to do it that way taking into account those factors. Cops know the sound measurement will be documented in court, so they are usually pretty close with it, and I have yet to find someone cited for a loud exhaust that was under 95 dB. FWIW the tC stock exhaust is 87 dB @4200 rpm using the SAE testing standard, many of the "JDM-style" mufflers without silencers and with headers can be over 125 dB (120 dB is the threshold of pain).

also, you didn't mention whether the testing was free or not, and under what circumstances...
That I don't know, it's hasn't been a problem for me.

if an officer cites you, and tells you to get tested, only to have your setup found LEGAL, I think it should be completely free, the citation nullified... [snip]the only way the government should be able to fine you or convict you should be that it proves you are illegal from the start. chain of evidence and all that.
I completely agree, but I haven't spoken with anyone whose system (as cited) tested legal (thus they had to pay the fee), so I don't know if the Referee signs off the testing fee or the state issues a refund. As for the chain of evidence, they still have to follow due process (the 5th Amendment, and all that.)
Old 05-29-2007, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you

so clearly this cop KNEW about cars and the little "modifications" that are done by many cars.
They have a pamphlet, perhaps you've seen it? --> http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
Dude, you're talking out of your backside now.
My lights are 100% LEGAL.

My only - now absorb this point - my ONLY illegal mod was the tint.
Get off of your high-horse.
My 35% tint is a relative joke - half of the cars roll here with 5% all around and seem to get by just fine.
Mine was barely darker than stock, and I did that to intentionally not stand out.

Enough of this bickering. I took the hit, I didn't give the officer any crap, and I paid the fine and took off the tint.
I think the law is crap, and if you think someone who is inclined to KILL A COP cares about tint laws, you're smoking too much while you type.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno where you guys live but in Cleveland the cops have never stopped me or any one of my friends for tint. On the other hand, in the suburbs they constantly stop people.
I guess it just depends where you live.

Quick Reply: Multiple Tint violation tickets