Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

My 08 sunroof wind deflector SHATTERED...this sux

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

This thread is sounding like one giant cat fight...lol....
I do have a helpful tip for other tC owners regarding this problem....now what hoodie said regarding going 50+ mph isnt smart with glass facing up is right. However....rock hits can happen at much lower speeds too... there are companies like 3M and Laminex I believe...that sell clear protection films...that are thicker than most clear products. They are mainly for headlamp protection...they help keep rock chips from happening and shattering the glass. Ask your local good tint/film shop about it. Doesnt help your broken glass now...but could save ya from having another broken one in the future.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i thought Scion started putting something like that on them after a certain year because they had so many retards bringing their tC's in with cabins full of shattered glass...
Old 04-17-2009, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie

hell, i didnt read the owners manual either, but common sense tells me that a piece of glass protruding upwards at 50+ MPH is not safe.
Thank you. Keyword: Common Sense. Not all people have it and not all people are smart.

We pretty much have a glass portion that pops up and faces front. If your windshield, hood, bumper can get chipped, dents/dings from road debris, you can count on that popup glass getting hit at one point.

I wish the dealerships stop warranty on shatter glass from improper use.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

easy fix. the wind deflector shouldnt be glass anyway. I say make a custom mold, and fab up a piece of carbon fiber to completely replace the busted glass. while you're at it, do the same thing for the sunroof itself.

it's actually on my list of things to do whether the glass ever breaks or not.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
I do have a helpful tip for other tC owners regarding this problem....now what hoodie said regarding going 50+ mph isnt smart with glass facing up is right. However....rock hits can happen at much lower speeds too... there are companies like 3M and Laminex I believe...that sell clear protection films...that are thicker than most clear products. They are mainly for headlamp protection...they help keep rock chips from happening and shattering the glass. Ask your local good tint/film shop about it. Doesnt help your broken glass now...but could save ya from having another broken one in the future.
Yes, rocks can hit it at any speed, they can even hit it while the car isn't even moving. The point everyone is trying to make, is that Scion specifically stated 55+ for this exact reason. Odds are, the danger probably isn't really there until 60-65MPH, so Scion put 55 to cover their ___. Same exact reason why ladders have weight ratings. If it says 200lbs max, and you're 500lb fat ___ gets on it, it's YOUR fault.

You as in general, not you specifically lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM
SL Member

I think I was doing 95 when mine broke and they still replaced it under my warranty
Old 04-17-2009, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know what, while the manual says what the manual says. it is a rather poor way to cover your @$$ toyota.

while i have driven my tc for thousands of miles on countless trips across the state on the interstate with the sunroof open exceeding triple digit speeds, my roof is yet to have a problem.

but i personally think the roof, and wind-deflector should be built to the same tolerances as the windshield and able to withstand the same impact that it can. because in all likelyhood, if a truck kicks up a stone, and it goes over the windshield, but strikes the roof and shatters it even if it is closed, would that be covered under warranty?

not saying that the OP isn't a douche with his word buttered cursing, pi$$ing and moaning. but anyway, suck it up.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

i thought Scion started putting something like that on them after a certain year because they had so many retards bringing their tC's in with cabins full of shattered glass...
yeah bro....I vaguely remember something in a TSB regarding the front glass deflector for the sunroofs of the tC's... but I didnt want to quote that in my post b/c I couldnt say it for a fact and didnt want to be misleading. Maybe Scion is using a different material than they did before...b/c there isnt any type of film on my new 08 tC.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah bro....I vaguely remember something in a TSB regarding the front glass deflector for the sunroofs of the tC's... but I didnt want to quote that in my post b/c I couldnt say it for a fact and didnt want to be misleading. Maybe Scion is using a different material than they did before...b/c there isnt any type of film on my new 08 tC.
i was going to say, i don't remember seeing anything about a speed limit to driving with the sunroof open, but if the 05 tc's are excempt, whoo hoo! we got laminate yo! hahahahaaha
Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Yes, rocks can hit it at any speed, they can even hit it while the car isn't even moving. The point everyone is trying to make, is that Scion specifically stated 55+ for this exact reason. Odds are, the danger probably isn't really there until 60-65MPH, so Scion put 55 to cover their butt. Same exact reason why ladders have weight ratings. If it says 200lbs max, and you're 500lb fat butt gets on it, it's YOUR fault.

You as in general, not you specifically lol.

^^ I totally agree. That's a good point.....while Toyota should've made a better attempt to keep that part from shattering b/c they knew of the potential for it to happen....but on the flip-side of that...at some point they had to put a warning limit for safe and unsafe operating conditions which they did do in the manual.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Drax.... the TSB I was referring to didnt state a speed limit issue...only that the deflectors were at risk of shattering so they were willing to do a laminate fix free of charge for those cars.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To keep selling price low on the tc, they're bound to cut corners. I'm glad this is my last Toyota, until I move out of country and get a real Toyota.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Well no car is going to be perfect....b/c if they built one of those...that's the only ride anyone would want. It's just not feasible for a vehicle to withstand every possible variant that it could come across. But if common sense was actually more common...then people that use their glass sunroofs would think to protect them with a laminate of some sort....hell people know to put clear bras on the paint to protect that...so it's not rocket science. lol
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thing is, there is a laminate sheet on that pop up glass for the newer tc after the recall was issued. It only prevents the glass from falling to the cabin after it shatters.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

that is true...but hell its glass...that's the best that any car like it could do...unless you went with another material for the deflector piece itself....maybe metal or high impact resistant plastic and it was painted black to match the rest of the top.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

amazing. so i went to toyota part/services this morning. Told them the wind deflector sunroof thing shattered. i waited about 40 mins cause there was a long line. they call me up. ok sir we ordered the part it will be here tuesday, no charge. free install and everyting. i was like WHOAH. i aint ask why of course lol. so im a happy camper. phew.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ ask them about the manual =p
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by litobirdy
amazing. so i went to toyota part/services this morning. Told them the wind deflector sunroof thing shattered. i waited about 40 mins cause there was a long line. they call me up. ok sir we ordered the part it will be here tuesday, no charge. free install and everyting. i was like WHOAH. i aint ask why of course lol. so im a happy camper. phew.
Good Deal Bro. Keep it at 54 next time.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by davedavetC
if they ask how fast you were goin say 40 lol they dont know screw them (i work at a dealer too who cares)

try to get it covered under warenty and tell them they should change the manual to 40mph instead of 55
ditto!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:44 PM
SL Member

lol AFTER they install it for free ask them about the manual

Quick Reply: My 08 sunroof wind deflector SHATTERED...this sux