Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

My Tc Sunroof Exploded To....... WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default My Tc Sunroof Exploded To....... WTF

Hey everyone im new to the site but friday on the highway my sunroof just exploded and shattered, glass was falling in on me i drove it to the dealership i bought it from and started to b*tch due to i was on the way to the beach but they put me in a rental car and told me they would look at it and tell me if it was the car or a rock or a bird wtf my boyfriend looked at it and said no way was it a rock or a bird so im glad to know im not the only person this has happened to ........ P.S. I have pics.....
Old 06-26-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

candy red scion tc?
post the pics
Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member

ya i can post the pics when i get home it looks like someone threw a brick through my sunroof.....
Old 06-26-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Post pics!!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my brother has the rs1 and i know they sent him a letter in the mail about getting something fixed on his sunroof..it was like a recall or something i believe
Old 06-26-2006, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member

the recall was for the wind deflector i got the fixed but a guy on here had the same thing happen to him i have read so im glad to know im not the only one here......

Posted: 2/10/05 10:15PM Post subject: So my roof EXPLODED today!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I know things happen with 1st year cars. You know things that they haven't worked the kinks out yet.
But MY SUNROOF BLEW UP!! It was shut, there was no one in front of me on the off ramp, and no huge bump in the road.
How does that happen? I had been hearing loud "thunks" when the unibody would tweak,
and I had the dealership look at it at about 7500 miles, now that I just got my 10000 mile oil change,
3 days later my roof just goes pop. I am not sure why tC's are having the roof problem,
but I was under the impression that the small un-movable window was the one that was breaking,
not the sunroof. I think that the roof had been getting weaker over time,
and for some reason the two bars that are spring loaded for the air dam,
basically forced their way through the glass pane shattering it.
That's all I can come up with other than the Chaos Theory and the stupid butterfly in Guatemala.
Good news is, it is under manufacturers warranty so it will be fixed for free.
Bad news is that my stupid Platinum Warranty, (that I have yet to get any use out of my $800
and my car has been in the shop about 6 times now including oil changes and modifications),
doesn't cover my roof shattering and the dealership needing to order me a piece of glass,
therefore keeping my car for a "few days" and have no loaner car!
No complaints about the dealer, seriously they have been nothing but great from day one,
just a little ____ed that I have no car again, and my extended warranty doesn't help yet once again.
So anyone who's roof is making funny noises and/or whistling while you drive down the freeway, get it looked at.
Take care, later.

http://www.streetsource.com/viewowne...rofileid=36275
Old 06-26-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i pretty much cant blame you for being ____ed but its getting taken care of..at least from what your saying
Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang! this is big deal! is it your sunroof open in freeway or something? cuz maybe the highspeed wind break your glass sunroof...thats why i never open it on freeway or city very often i open it like once in a month or never
Old 06-26-2006, 06:49 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

it's not really all that.

it's just temperature stresses combined with the slightest microscopic flaw that can cause the sunroof to shatter.

and i think you have a misunderstanding of candy/kandy paint.. a candy coat is something that's transparent that goes over paint to add color..

rs1.0 is absolute red. nothing candy. (unless you're referring to yourself )
Old 06-26-2006, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member

no my sunroof was not all the way open and i was just riding down the road when it happened i got off at the next exit and took it str8 to the dealership they gave me a rental that they will not make me pay for and i told them i would not pay for it they ar esupposed to be calling me today about how it will be fixed and here is another guy who it happend to.....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/arc...tion-pics.html

p.s. my name is candace so ppl call me candy = candyinascion lol ya
Old 06-26-2006, 07:02 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

candace? i know a candace in north carolina....

errr.. animazement?

but yeah.. even with the sunroof closed... temperature and other stresses can cause it to happen.. sorry to hear.. hope it gets fixed soon.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member

lol thats kool i dont know to many other candaces in nc where does she live????

p.s. im finding more and more ppl that this has happened to......
Old 06-26-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had mine in the shop for 2 weeks total and I had a loaner tC the entire time. I was 2 separate weeks they gave me the same car. Mine was in for a loud thump in the roof when I would hit a big bump.

BTW I have the standard warranty.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:07 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

umm.. she's from chapel hill/durham area too... which is why i was asking..
Old 06-26-2006, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member

ya im from durham and i just talked to the rep from toyota and he said the regional rep will be here tomo to look at it but they have found nothing to make it really shatter like it did and it should be covered by warranty but could take anywhere from a week to two weeks to fix so that sucks....... and nfiniti9 ur lucky they got me in a damn corolla it sucks........
Old 06-26-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thats why i never ride with the sunroof open on the e-way. Have you seen what your sun roof look like when driving on the e-way ?? Follow a scion on the e-way and see what his/her looks like then you'll probably see why as of this could happen. Yea im sure if it was a problem they wouldnt have a sunroof in the first place, but still. Common sense. Oh well i hope they fix it and everything works out.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member

no my sunroof was not open all the way the top was just up part way it was not even pulled back any and this happened u never know there might be another reacll comming soon for all Tc owners out there.........
Old 06-26-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You live and you learn. Hopefully they fix it w/o even a peep. And when you get it taken care of, NEVER drive on the highway with the sunroof open. Too many things can happen. Just imagine, if that happened to you w/o a rock, then just imagine if a rock did hit it. Prevent the worst, candy. Let us know what they say/do. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member

thanks will do ya believe me ill keep it closed from now on.....
Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

well if oyur the original owner you should have gotten a TSB from toyota to get the recall done (thin black film behind deflector). this would have prevented anything from coming down on you. and to ^^^^ poster above, the TC deflector is designed to go down as you increase speed, it doesnt stay in the upright position. i had this same thing happen to mine. i went to the dealership (not even the one i bought it from but the closest one off the freeway) and spoke with them about it. they said it was a rock, but they just replaced it anyway. no questions. fight them they will bend..

Quick Reply: My Tc Sunroof Exploded To....... WTF