Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

My Tc Sunroof Exploded To....... WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

i already had the deflector fixed when the recall came out i will post the pics when i get home today and yall can see what happened the deflector is fine and all its the actual first roof/sunroof over the driver and passanger side that shattered and fell into my car, they dont know what happened and i dont either but they said my warranty should cover it..........
Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesnt it say in the manuel when you go a certain speed that you shouldnt open the sunroof???
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what the..........
now i gotta be careful..
Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmmm... contrary to what you guys have been saying...

having the moonroof closed will not prevent it from shattering if it was bound to happen. if it happens.. it'll happen

one friend came out one morning to his car... and without warning.. BOOM. (yes... the moonroof was closed).
Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well, that's just bad luck, lol.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

YEah I think its pretty sh*tty that the sunroof shattered on you. Its probably just exactlye what the other guy said a small imperfection in the glass and just the heat stress or the twisting of your cars body to set it off to shatter. Heck all it takes to shatter tempered glass is something hitting it and causing it to vibrate at the right frequency, and in pieces it goes.

Sunroofs are made of the same glass that side windows are... and well.. next time you're in junk yard and want to get into some trouble take a piece of porcelain or ceramic or peice of spark plug and throw it lightly had a side window or sunroof... if hit right it'll shatter immediately.

Toyota should step up on this. Also check your interior to make sure it didn't get all scratched byt he falling glass. Plastic consoles and glass don't mix well.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, if anyone remembers, my moonroof blew up on me about 2 weeks ago (I was driving with it closed). I talked to a number of people at customer care, and also at my dealer. Dealer reported that everything about my roof was "normal". Customer care expressed a lot of sympathy over the incident (kudos), and even gave me a call back to see if there was anything they could do to make me feel better about the car (I had told them I felt unsafe in it and was going to get rid of it). In the end, they offered me a couple of t-shirts... ha ha!

Anyway, to the OP, please call Scion customer care when you get a chance. I think it will be important for them to know about any instance of this happening. Hopefully they can investigate these occurances and determine if there is indeed a design flaw or hidden defect.

In any case, I already put down a deposit for another car and will be getting rid of my tC through private sale. I'm very close to the end of warranty at 29500 miles, and if the moonroof shatters again once it's out of warranty, repair cost will be in the thousands. They not only had to replace my glass, but also the entire sunroof assembly. Not to mention the safety aspect of it all.

Best of luck to you.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually was doing some research with this and being a mechanic and coming from a family of them my dad which buys TC's left and right and repairs them tells me that the SUNROOF on TC's is very heavy and if your familiar with the sunroof button you press it once and it will open to a certain position. If you touch it again it will Open some more and finally if you tap it again it will OPEN FULLY. Now i believe your only suppose to open it to the 1st possition while cruising. If you open the roof to the full position and drive your put extreme pressure on the glass since the sunroof is very heavy and if you drive with it on the highway and hit the right turn or bump it will just blow up. Just be careful when you do this. If you drive with it open alot you will hear squeaks and creaks coming from it. Meaning you are loosing up the clips or retaining screws on the sunroof. But wtf its all warranty but if you want to save time from the repair just leave it on the 1st one. I hope this will help out some scion owners.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD FROM OTHER tC OWNERS, CERTAIN 2005 tC'S WERE RECALLED DUE TO A DEFECT IN THE SUNROOF GLASS. A PIECE OF FILM HAS TO BE ADDED TO MAKE IT MORE DURABLE. (This is not official, just what I heard from my friend who has an 05)
Old 06-27-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen the recalls and Technical Service Bulletins for Tc's and they only have that deflector recall for the 05's
Old 06-27-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Maybe the twisting in the tCs body cause the stress to bend the sunroof and shatter it into pieces. It's a good theory. What do you guys think?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you drive like me with going over 100 the whole time on the highway and if i had it fully open enough body twists would make it shatter. Just becareful on how far you open it while going at great speeds.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtonyC
FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD FROM OTHER tC OWNERS, CERTAIN 2005 tC'S WERE RECALLED DUE TO A DEFECT IN THE SUNROOF GLASS. A PIECE OF FILM HAS TO BE ADDED TO MAKE IT MORE DURABLE. (This is not official, just what I heard from my friend who has an 05)
This is true. I had the recall done. Sort of. The dealership forgot to put the sticker on.

Anyway, if you read your manual, it specifically says to NOT have the sunroof open at speeds exceeding 40-50mph. It also says to NOT have it open on the freeway.

I'm sorry that happened to you, I know I'd be ____ed too. I'm just glad the dealership is covering you instead of being cheap, and going "You mush have had it open, you'll pay for the repair."

My best suggestion is that you call Scion Customer Service and explain that you do NOT want to have this happen again. That way, you'll have a case number open in case, god forbid, it's something to do with your car, and it happens again.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good call on that...glad i read my stuff. Like my salesman said when i bought the car....YOUR LUCKY YOU GOT THE TC ITS GOT THE BEST OWNER'S MANUAL COVER LOOK HOW NICE IT LOOKS. What a douched just gimme my car.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i had the same thing happen to me a few months ago, i have a topic about it somewhere. I was going down the road at about 30 mph with it close and no vehicles or anything anywhere near me and it suddenly popped and shattered, sounded like a gun above me. I ended up making a claim through my insurance b/c it cost almost $2000 to fix b/c they needed to order the whole assembly. I had the recall done early this year. The only thing we could come up with was it was pretty hot that day, then it rained for about 30 mins, and got even hotter, which is when it shattered. Seems noone really knows whats going on, o well, goodluck
Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please read the owners manual. It does NOT say that you should not drive with the sunroof open. I hear this often on here and that just isn't what the manual says.

From page 25 of the '06 manual:

"As driving with the moon roof opened fully will cause wind throbs, we recommend you to drive with the moon roof 50 mm (2.0 in.) from the fully opened position."

That's what the second stop position is for when you open it.

Neither of the people who's glass "exploded" did anything wrong or against the advice of the manual.

I, for one, did not buy a car with a moon roof to drive with it closed all the time.

For those who've had this happen, I agree that calling customer care is probably your best bet. Let Scion know so they can keep an accurate track to see if this is a frequent problem or not. Engineers can only solve the problems when they know as many details as possible about the conditions during failure.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

5th case ive heard of...
Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
Team ScioNRG

Well i guess I should tell you that the samething. Yesterday I was driving along the highway streets near my house and all of a sudden BOOM shattered. A giant hole was staring me in the face. Glass came crashing down on top of my friends and I who were in the car. Now my roof was TOTALLY closed. The music was not playing loud and I wasnt driving fast. I have no idea what could have happened. I was driving the car in an area where there arent any pedestrians, and there were no cars in front or behind me. No one couldve thrown something at my car. I checked every possible spot in my car to see if maybe a rock kicked up but nothing, I couldnt find anything. It was like a the roof shattered into a perfect circle. I had to bring my friends to the hopsital to get patched up because of the glass. I work for Toyota so I brought teh car to my dealership and they are taking care of it. But I would really like to find out how the hell any of this happened!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by Scion_shift
well if oyur the original owner you should have gotten a TSB from toyota to get the recall done (thin black film behind deflector). this would have prevented anything from coming down on you. and to ^^^^ poster above, the TC deflector is designed to go down as you increase speed, it doesnt stay in the upright position. i had this same thing happen to mine. i went to the dealership (not even the one i bought it from but the closest one off the freeway) and spoke with them about it. they said it was a rock, but they just replaced it anyway. no questions. fight them they will bend..
the recall is not for the actually sunroof, its for the wind deflector

the tC glass roof is made of 3sections
1.)wind deflector (pops up/down)
2.) the actual moon/sunroof (opens/closes)
3.) glass piece between hatch glass and sunroof (stationary)

you guys keep getting pieces/parts confused
the laminate is NOT put on the actual sunroof, only the deflector
most dealers can't prove it shattered from debri without the actual item or point of impact
Old 06-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionBandit
Originally Posted by Scion_shift
well if oyur the original owner you should have gotten a TSB from toyota to get the recall done (thin black film behind deflector). this would have prevented anything from coming down on you. and to ^^^^ poster above, the TC deflector is designed to go down as you increase speed, it doesnt stay in the upright position. i had this same thing happen to mine. i went to the dealership (not even the one i bought it from but the closest one off the freeway) and spoke with them about it. they said it was a rock, but they just replaced it anyway. no questions. fight them they will bend..
the recall is not for the actually sunroof, its for the wind deflector

the tC glass roof is made of 3sections
1.)wind deflector (pops up/down)
2.) the actual moon/sunroof (opens/closes)
3.) glass piece between hatch glass and sunroof (stationary)

you guys keep getting pieces/parts confused
the laminate is NOT put on the actual sunroof, only the deflector
most dealers can't prove it shattered from debri without the actual item or point of impact
umm what part of " a thin black film behind the deflector" did you not understand?
doesnt seem like i have the parts/pieces confused. i probably know more about this car than you do..

Quick Reply: My Tc Sunroof Exploded To....... WTF