Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

My Tc Sunroof Exploded To....... WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by Scion_shift
Originally Posted by ScionBandit
Originally Posted by Scion_shift
well if oyur the original owner you should have gotten a TSB from toyota to get the recall done (thin black film behind deflector). this would have prevented anything from coming down on you. and to ^^^^ poster above, the TC deflector is designed to go down as you increase speed, it doesnt stay in the upright position. i had this same thing happen to mine. i went to the dealership (not even the one i bought it from but the closest one off the freeway) and spoke with them about it. they said it was a rock, but they just replaced it anyway. no questions. fight them they will bend..
the recall is not for the actually sunroof, its for the wind deflector

the tC glass roof is made of 3sections
1.)wind deflector (pops up/down)
2.) the actual moon/sunroof (opens/closes)
3.) glass piece between hatch glass and sunroof (stationary)

you guys keep getting pieces/parts confused
the laminate is NOT put on the actual sunroof, only the deflector
most dealers can't prove it shattered from debri without the actual item or point of impact
umm what part of " a thin black film behind the deflector" did you not understand jackass?
a.)hope you got your jollies callin me a jacka**
b.)the part where you assumed she had an issue with her deflector, not the sunroof
since you obviously can't read, and the deflector laminate wont prevent the shattered sunroof from falling on her, as you stated.
"you guys" is plural, last time i checked
so dont think i was calling you out,skip
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member

Hey everyone there are a few pics on my profile now i uploaded let me know if they didnt show up so i can re do them thanks!! ! !
Old 06-27-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

yea, the pics worked
doesn't look too pretty
Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member

Hey just to clear everything up my sunroof was in the first open position and i was just driving down the highway the tepm outside was not abnormal it was warm but no sudden cool showers or anything had came through in a while but this seems to be a problem that is happening more and more i have a few more pics ill try to get them up on my yahoo profile or something anyways im scared to get back into my car when i get it back i mean there were tiny pieces or glass all over my arms and legs and a small piece even in the corner of my eye i even thought about getting a lawyer for it being an unsafe desgin and getting something really done about this but im just thinking right now there are being very nice in fixing it and taking all the right moves to make me happy but still this could have been even worse and i could have really been hurt or someone else can be hurt in these situations for everyone reading this and owning a tC keep your ears and eyes out for anything u might feel could be unsafe and if you think this could happen to you take it into your local dealership and express what other people have had happen to them this seems to me like there may be another recall like the deflector was where a piece of laminate will be places on the inside or a more safe assembly so this will stop from happening anymore.......... Thanks Agian and if this has happened to anyone else please let me know........
Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

glad that is wasn't much worse, glass falling on you isn't what you thought you'd be getting when you bought the car.....but ive seen this happen on all cars, and some toyota makes/models, so its not just a Scion thing

as far as your rental car is concerned, toyota is only required to supply basic transportation, thats why most ppl get corollas,camrys,etc.
but some dealers are nice and give the equivalent of what the customer is driving
Old 06-27-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionBandit
glad that is wasn't much worse, glass falling on you isn't what you thought you'd be getting when you bought the car.....but ive seen this happen on all cars, and some toyota makes/models, so its not just a Scion thing
By proportion, though, this seems to be happening at at higher rate on the tC. I have no hard numbers to back me up, but i can't imagine any make/model that has had more sunroofs shatter (percentage-wise). I don't care what defenses Scion may come up with - bottom line is the design has serious flaws. The only good part is that for those of us this has happened to, Scion seems to have treated us fairly. Plus, none of us has apparently suffered any serious injuries (remember the Firestone tire hubbub?)

Still, my tC is parked in my driveway and will not be driven anymore until I sell it.

I wonder how many cases *not* reported on scionlife.com there have been?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Could the shattering be prevented by adding the laminate to the sunroof? This seems pretty serious.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member

well i have called scion customer care and reported it and i have called a few other offices to get something to happen i told the guy that this is happening more and more and he had the ***** to tell me they sell 7000 scions/tcs a month and that this is happening to a possible mere 10% of its drivers ohhhh i got ____ed i tole him so what us 10% dont matter i said it will matter if someone gets seriously hurt or worse they could loose their life. he told me this would be looked into further and someone would get back to me i told them im scared to even drive now in the car because what if it happens agian if more people report it to scion customer care it will make a difference please call if it happend to you and call even if u own a tc and tell them what you have heard many voices is more powerful than a few.......
Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 AM
Banned
SL Member

take a chill pill lady, its been happening for awhile. theres really nothing you can do other than get a replacement. like i said, it happened to me. i got glass on me. big deal i got it replaced. no reports of someone crashing, and i doubt there will be. unless you werent paying attention to the road in the first place. anyway, your getting it replaced and if you are "scared" to drive your car then i suggest you sell it.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member

well its not everyday it rains glass on me and they are fixing it i just think other people should know what may happen to them ...... and i am thinking about selling it or trading it in.......
Old 07-03-2006, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is bad.......................................
they fix it, give u rental car, and thats it...? what if u get hurt?
what if u say u don't wanna drive it anymore, what would they do for u?
i always max the base and listen to music really loud...
maybe i shouldnt.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member

well they told me i can get a guy in another department to look at my file and i can write down and tell him how i feel and they could possibly buy back my car but i just found out i will have to pay like 25cents to the mile for them to do that and that would screw me i got over 30,000 miles on my car already.... they told me i could get my car back by friday, but im not holding my breath this happend two fridays ago......
Old 07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionCandy05
well they told me i can get a guy in another department to look at my file and i can write down and tell him how i feel and they could possibly buy back my car but i just found out i will have to pay like 25cents to the mile for them to do that and that would screw me i got over 30,000 miles on my car already.... they told me i could get my car back by friday, but im not holding my breath this happend two fridays ago......
Wow. When it happened to me I had my car back in 4 days.

If you really want to get rid of the car, sell it privately. I have 29,500 miles on my '05, and have it listed on sale for $15000. There's been interest and a promising buyer is looking at it this weekend. I'm confident I will be able to sell it for at least $14500. Not bad considering the mileage. Do not sell it back to the dealer. I think they will pretty much just give you trade-in value, which of course means, they will screw you.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a question for you imploding sunroof victims...

Where do you park your car? By that I mean where is it parked most of the time?

I'm probably reaching here, but maybe it makes a difference if you leave it most of the time in the direct sun?

Do you all leave the car parked most of the time in the sun, in a garage, covered parking of some sort, use a car cover, etc... what do you all do? I'm probably reaching here but no one's really come up with an answer yet so... :shrug:
Old 07-06-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
I have a question for you imploding sunroof victims...

Where do you park your car? By that I mean where is it parked most of the time?

I'm probably reaching here, but maybe it makes a difference if you leave it most of the time in the direct sun?

Do you all leave the car parked most of the time in the sun, in a garage, covered parking of some sort, use a car cover, etc... what do you all do? I'm probably reaching here but no one's really come up with an answer yet so... :shrug:
Dunno how much of a factor it would be, but my car is parked outside all the time.

I just looked at the repair receipt the dealer gave me when I picked up my car, and I never noticed it before, but it says:

"Upon inspection, found left rail broken, causing too much tension. Glass shattered. Sublet to Auto Trim. Replaced sun roof assembly, Glass. Cleaned out all broken glass"

This, mind you, after they verbally told me when I picked it up that they couldn't figure out what caused the breakage. Maybe they just needed to put a reason to pass it through warranty.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member

Hey everyone new news about my car i got it back but from where i was driving when it happened it took chunks of paint out of my cal all over it. Since i got it back i was supposed to meet a District Rep and well the coimmunication has been not made to him or just not even attempted.. since then yesterday afternoon while driving from where they failed to even vaccum out the back seat or underseats of my car and did not even get the driver side good my leg got cut up from glass left in my car. ohhhh i was ____ed i called the dealership, scion corp, and i have contacted an atty. i may sue its up in the air right now they have failed to contact me about painting my car or what will happen and what they will do about me getting cut by the glass so i have taken the next step to get something happening. ill keep yall updated

P.S. My car has been parked most of its life in shade.......
Old 07-18-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ why are you suing when you haven't give corporate a chance to act yet?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
^^ why are you suing when you haven't give corporate a chance to act yet?
Yeah, you can call Customer Experience and have them send you the form for the Dispute Settlement Program. I just got mine in the mail today, but I don't think I'll go through the process. Anyway, you can see if you can get it settled through arbitration (avoiding legal fees), but if it doesn't satisfy you, you can then pursue a lawsuit.

I'm 99.99% sure I'm sticking with my tC and hopefully the NHTSA investigation will result in a recall. This would help put away all my fears.

My dealer did a *decent* job of cleaning up all my glassbut I did get a nasty cut on my finger while cleaning the rest of glass out. This occured in the dealer's parking lot while my service tech was helping me, so they did see it, but all they could do was offer an apology and a bandage.

Also, if you really are bitter about the incident and don't trust your tC, get rid of it pronto. It will make you feel better. You can probably fetch a decent price through private sale, and you won't have to go through the fight.

Good luck with whichever path you choose. Believe me, I'm one of the few who know *exactly* how you feel, and it's tough to understand unless you've been through it. People may tell you you;re being unreasonable, but just ignore them and do what's right for you.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member

Ya well i have been having a guy at the customer expierence dept handeling this since it happened and good NEWS the NHTSA is not doing a formal investgation into this problem and hopefullt there will be some sort of recall or at least a notice to all tc owners and p.s. i have not hired an atty yet but i just may bc my cuts were bad and may leave scars who knows but they are right on my back thighs anyways ill kepp yall posted......
Old 07-21-2006, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I just saw one with a shattered roof in the shop, it's about the size of a basketball! The guy said it sounded like a shotgun went off.

Quick Reply: My Tc Sunroof Exploded To....... WTF