Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Need help - Car broken into (passenger window shattered)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need help - Car broken into (passenger window shattered)

My passenger window was shattered at some point last night.

They were after my navigation.

I'm pretty scared because I was parked in the DRIVEWAY of the townhouse I live in...

It was also a foggy nite (i.e. couldn't see into windows without wiping), which suggests maybe they had been "scoping" me out...

The glass sensor didn't even go off... where the hell do you adjust that thing?!?!

I got a quote from safelite for $185, seems to be reasonable...

Just kind of mad, but more scared than anything, because if you can't even have that safety within your own residence, that is just frightening...

Any comments or condolences would be appreciated...

I don't think there will be anything for me to do as far as insurance, since my collision deductible is 1000 and comprehensive is 250?

I'm likely SOL for the navigation cost, right? Or is that covered by my renters policy?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Pretty sure you wont be covered by anything other than comp. If you have a policy with aftermarket part coverage, that may get your navi unit. But you would have to have been paying extra for that coverage.

Sorry to hear this happened! I would definitely be writing in to the alarm manufacturer about this if it didnt work. Which alarm do you have?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear about this.

It is for this reason, that I refuse to pour money into anything that can visually be seen by a potential scumbag thief - in my car.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If you have the alarm through scion (the factory alarm) like I do, you have to have the sensitivity adjusted. A while back, someone HIT my car with their car going 5mph and the alarm didn't go off!! The sensitivity was on like 4 or something (factory default which does nothing). It goes all the way up to 11. I brought it in to the dealer and had them change it to 10. It never goes off without reason, but I did try tapping the window with a key (obviously not hard enough to do any damage), but the alarm DID go off. Its too bad you're first hearing this now, but get it taken car of so it doesn't happen again. The scion alarm upgrade option is a REALLY LOUD alarm. It would wake up the neighborhood
Old 03-25-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

sorry to hear about that...
Old 03-25-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow bro..soory to hear it..my friends tc just got broken into last night at 3am...toook all his boost stuff,boost controller,turbo timer,ripped out all the gauges..they were good and fast...but i feel for u bro..sorry to hear about..
Old 03-25-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Huh...if you have the Factory alarm, I would call Scion Customer Service and complain. It can't hurt.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Did you have portable Nav or was it a HU w/Nav? If anything is portable, be sure to hide or take anything portable with you in the house. Don't give thieves a chance by having say...an iPod sitting in one of the cup holders where it can be seen. That's just asking for trouble. This is why I have my tC so clean. I don't leave anything out where it can be seen by hoodlums. Lasty, it doesn't matter where you park outside. You could be in the driveway, parked on the lawn, hell even on the front step and they would still try to break into your car. Thieves don't care.

If you have the Scion Security, yeah it's bad. I still need to turn up the sensitivty on mine. I can tap pretty hard and nothing happens. You might look into getting a Hella Twin Supertone Horn. It's 2x louder than stock. I love mine because it's LOUD! (Sounds european also.) It's also fun to scare little punk kids who ride their bikes and think they're the ish...but I've never done that.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do I adjust my sensitivity?

It's ridiculous that it would be low by default... then you learn the hard way that it was too soft...
Old 03-25-2007, 05:42 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

mine was set to 2 out of 10. i set it to 8 and with a slight tap on the tap it sets off. i found a post here of diy but i forgot where. just search. should be adjusted by removing the glove box, finding the board and adjusting it with a screwdriver.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The adjustment is behind the glove box. It isn't the easiest thing to do. The dealer should do it for free as they installed it and its under warranty, and you were broken into, etc. My dealer did it for free w/o having had any problems.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I was trying to find where it was, based on the instruction manuals, but I could not...

I also didn't want to open the passenger door, as I've taped everything up... so my maneuverability was limited.

It's amazing how much glass I had to clean up........

I'm so bummed right now... I can't go back to sleep, I only got 2 hrs last night, this may sound dumb, but I'm literally scared that someone would break into my ____ like that, with my car parked right there.

I'm all paranoid now... every little noise, I'm thinking it may be my car...

I removed everything out of it (except an umbrella...).

I'm just all worried someone will come back and break more of my windows... probably just worrying too much, but I can't help it.

It really spooked me.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by CuseHokie
you might get it bad like me and keep feeling like this for a couple years.... i've been paranoid since summer of 05 lol
Old 03-27-2007, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In case anyone cared, I was able to get an appointment today (begged the lady as soon as they opened).

So my new window was $192 after taxes...in case any of you ever need to replace one, that's a ballpark price.

It turns out, my insurance (SF) will also pay for the navigation (portable) as part of my comprehensive.

It seems like there is some grey area, perhaps since navigation/ipods/satellite radio are somewhat new, policy setting is still up in the air?

At first she said it wouldn't be covered, then she said "oh wait it is... they keep changing it".

I called my agent back for a follow-up question, asking how this may impact my rates... He said basically since it is comprehensive, i.e. out of my control, there isn't going to be a penalty...

In general, gender, DOB, marrital, zipcode, claims, all factor in... this is only one claim... my only one...thus far...

Some would say don't do it, "they'll jack your rates son!!", others would say "you always pay the damn bill, might as well get something back."

I'm still upset that the scion security didn't go off...

To think I paid that much for a security system with a glass breaking sensor that didn't go off, with my car parked IN MY DRIVEWAY...just irks me!

Of all places, you would want it to go off at your home... where you are most likely to be in proximity (as opposed to work, grocery store, mall, movie theatre, etc etc).

I'm taking it to the dealer on Saturday to have them "check" it... and asking for the regional rep to call me. I will continue to pursue action, ideally it'd be nice to get a deductible refund...

I mean, yea the crook would have still gotten away, but what did I spent $500 on, for something that wouldn't work as advertised? That's a joke...

But the most important lesson, never EVER leave anything out, even if you're parked at aunt mary's or grandma sue's... take the time to use this stupid passcodes... and hide or carry your stuff with you...

You may laugh and think it couldn't happen to you, or that you're careful, but honestly, it's just a matter of time... I thought that way... until now.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I swear I heard something about how some thiefs use spark plugs to shatter glass without the window sensors going off. Maybe I'm wrong. I heard that somewhere.

Sorry to hear about this though. Saturday night my Brother apartment was broken into and they stole everything. The guy next got his 350z stolen the same night. Thank God my brother wasnt in town at the time.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I guess my next question is...

How likely is it for me to get anything from Scion, seeing as the security system did not go off when the passenger window shattered?

That is a primary feature of the Scion Security system...

I'm taking it into the dealer, and I want to have the next level up contact me (Regional Manager?)...

However, I'm going to fight this...

If they offer to pay back my deductible, I'd be satisfied.

I feel like I'm entitled to something...

Comments? Suggestions?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Default to your window problem

hey if you have not got your window replaced then do yourself a small favor. i have had the same thing happen to me and i found that nothing but factory toyota glass works good in that car.. so spend the money and replace it yourself
Old 03-28-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Comments? Suggestions?
When you take it to the dealership to have the sensitivity checked, ask them what # it was set to. It should be set to 6. If it wasn't set to 6 or above, that might help you because the tech didn't set it right. Also, did you have your Security System set to 'PASSIVLEY ARM'? That too would make a difference because when I had mine set like that, it would go off all the time. The techs at my dealership loved me for that! Good luck!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I was trying to find where it was, based on the instruction manuals, but I could not...

I also didn't want to open the passenger door, as I've taped everything up... so my maneuverability was limited.

It's amazing how much glass I had to clean up........

I'm so bummed right now... I can't go back to sleep, I only got 2 hrs last night, this may sound dumb, but I'm literally scared that someone would break into my poop like that, with my car parked right there.

I removed everything out of it (except an umbrella...).

I'm just all worried someone will come back and break more of my windows... probably just worrying too much, but I can't help it.

It really spooked me.
When I had my Honda civic H/B...I was living in Des Moines, Iowa at the time...
People there were "haters" instead of confronting You..they mess w/ your Car apparenttly!
My car was parked right outside my front door...One morning someone busted my drivers side window stole my Radio...Then I had an alarm installed...Exactly onw week later I stayed up and wouldnt u know it...saw 2 lil punk kids they took a Spark Plug to my window!!!...lil Punks....I ran out and almost caught one of them too!!!

Then I had a basebat to my back window.,....then a BeeBee gun to my back window again!!!!.....

I spent like 2 grand on windows!!!!!

Thats why I like having a garage now!!...
Old 03-31-2007, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, well I'm really confused now.

Just went to the dealership today...

They tell me they cannot find any glass break sensor in my car.

Luckily, I brought the manual and showed them it was the thing that was in the switch panel (next to the fog light button)...

They were apparently tracing wires and what not, and said they could not find anything.

(FYI this wasn't the same dealership that I bought the car at).

So perhaps, it was never installed?

I sincerely believe that this dealership made a valid attempt...

The reason being, my security system was wired wrong when I bought the car... they had the hatch wired as the primary door to deactivate the headlights when I got out of the car, when it's supposed to be the driver door.

So basically I said, "please document your findings"... that way I can go to Scion and be like "what the hell?"

I want some money out of this... hopefully $250, to cover my deductible.

The guy was nice and didn't charge me for the oil change or tire rotation... so at least he was trying. It was Leesburg Toyota/Scion if anyone cares to know.

I bought my car at Romano in Syracuse, NY... bastards.

And to make matters worse, the window that I got at safelite is popping the seal out of its slot... I took it back this morning and they couldn't fix it... and so they're going to try a different glass panel.

This has been the worst week of my life.

Quick Reply: Need help - Car broken into (passenger window shattered)