Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Obsidian Bodykit Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:45 AM
DMT
5 Year Member

Default Obsidian Bodykit Installation Questions

I have been thinking about getting the Obsidian Widebody kit, and I wanted to know what kind of modifications need to be made to the car to accomodate the kit. I realize that a pro install is needed, so I'd have to find some one who knows what they are doing.

Also, if anyone else has this kit, please tell me what the major issues are with the kit. Any major problems with installation or integrity of the kit? Does it wobble? Sturdy construction? Anything to keep in mind about the kit? Whats the estimated cost for pro installation? Custom painting?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to all of this.

Here's a mockup of what it'd look like in the end:

Old 11-12-2007, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just make sure its what you want because you do have to cut a section out of your fenders and quarter panels so going back would be hella expensive.

--Keith
Old 11-12-2007, 02:43 AM
DMT
5 Year Member

What about wheel clearance and having to extend the wheels out? Does that affect handling?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When i talked to chris at Krazykustoms that designed the kit he said 3" would have to be cut from fenders and quarter panel for install so the wider wheels would clear. Yeah you would have to get wider wheels to make it look right. Give it a wider stance would improve handling for sure.

--Keith
Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yup but wider wheels would make it heavy too and you will have a very slow car unless you have a turbo.. Its nice though
Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 AM
DMT
5 Year Member

Its automatic, so its already kinda slow... What about spacers and keeping the stock rims? Can this car still be a daily driver?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:14 AM
DMT
5 Year Member

Hmmm... I like the ver 1 back end better... but I don't think they make those in the Flex Fiber... that kinda sucks.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

those would be some pretty decent spacers you would be in to buying longer bolts then, dont think id trust them but thats me. as for daily driver it could be but id be worried about the fenders cracking loose from the stress of daily driving.

--Keith
Old 11-12-2007, 03:20 AM
DMT
5 Year Member

Is there anything that can be done to reinforce the fenders then? What kind of wide rims do need to look at? I'd preferably like to keep them 17", since that will give me a little extra rubber.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'd have to run like a 17x9 and a 17x10

not practical for what you want.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 AM
DMT
5 Year Member

why not? and what are the alternatives?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

run a non widebody. you'll have major steering problems with it and major driveability issues with it if its your daily driver. plus you'll have to go 3 piece to get the offset the right way so you're looking at 3k in wheels + the kit + 3-5k in body work / paint
Old 11-12-2007, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To get this kit on and painted your looking at over 5K. Id say near 7K to get the job done right. More if you want it perfect. Less if you know some guys and get lucky.

In order to do this almost the whole entire car would have to be painted accept the hood, doors, and hatch. A job this big you'd be better off just repainting the whole car for a perfect color match. Then take it into consideration that the doors, hood, and hatch would have to be taken off if you wanted to change the color and have the jams painted (+1K avg)

Its going to be a pricey job. Thats why when you see wide body kits out there, they either are really good because people put the money into it, or is bad and not so clean because the owner wanted to have a cheap job. Remember the cheaper it is the more things have to be cut out of the job.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM
DMT
5 Year Member

So basically, to get the wheels right I'd need to get wide rims and not go the spacer way? Assuming that, what other mods need to be done aside from cutting the whell wells? 3-Peice?

As for paint I could leave the door jams stock, might actually look alright... And the top of the car stock as well, just make the two tonw look with a darker coat on the bottom half, and then black on the lower trim. And black rims....

Specifically what drivablility issues would I have?

the more i think about this the more it impossible it seems. figures that the only body kit that i like is impreactical, expensive to install, and causes problems.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you wont have problems driving you just might have to get it re aligned to the new wheel base. Sears auto can do it for like 90 bucks.

About the paint you can always go 2 tone but if you cut the clear half way thats just going cheap. At the shop I work at one guy 2 toned his tc red and white and didn't want to pay to clear the whole car and only wanted it half way, it looks cheap when you look at the pin stripe thats hiding the brake because you see the line.

If your not going to paint it all you should still clear it all to keep it looking better and keep it from pealing.

Also if you think the obsidian wide body kit is too much theres always that other body kit that has the basic look of the obsidian but isn't wide. I forgot what its called. Somebody say the name of it.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

talking about the touring bumper?

--Keith
Old 11-12-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah thats it!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

First of all, don't do spacers.....its not safe in my opinion. Get Axis Widetracks because thats the closest wheel that will have an offset that will work with this widebody v.s. actually coughing up the cash and getting some custom made ones. Make sure to get the car molded so that the kit is not just bolted on. Driving issues...depending on what size wheel you go, will rub or not. It just depends. Be sure to cut the wheel well.

You will spend lots of money and the shop, on the wheels, on the tires, and if something happens to your car, since it is a daily driver, it will cost lots of money to replace. IMO, take that money and turbo your car or do something else with it for the car. I realized that widebody costs a lot more than you might think it will...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
DMT
5 Year Member

Hmm... yeah... I thought that I wouldnt cost that much... I guess not.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Trust me....do a simple lip kit, maybe 5 Axis or whatever, get a nice set of wheels and tires and do turbo, you will be a lot happier.

Quick Reply: Obsidian Bodykit Installation Questions