Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

One Sunroof Issue: Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default One Sunroof Issue: Fix

This pertains to one issue I have heard some complain of before. I recently started getting a lot of wind noise around the sunroof, and then a loud whistle and more wind noise (Especially if I opened the sunroof and then closed it while driving). The noise comes from the seal towards the back portion of the glass. Upon more inspection, the glass will seem to have play in it when closed, so if you push it down in back, the noise will go away, but even slamming the door will cause the glass to push up a tad.

The fix may not be blindingly apparent up front, but to fix it you have to initialize the sunroof. Now, the battery cable may not have been removed, so they dont need to be initialized, so you have to force the matter by leaving the negative battery cable off for a few minutes, reconnecting and then initialize the sunroof. It will re-learn its fully closed position. For some reason over time, it lost its brain a bit

The fix makes perfect since (especially since I designed a jam protection circuit for my car back in college, that works in a very similar manner as this one), due to jam protection and the way it works off of motor load, it needs to know the position for fully closed to operate properly. If this is lost or off a bit, the window will never close fully, even though the auto functions work and the windows dont need to be reset. However, ignoring my own motto of keeping it simple, I poked around and adjusted on the glass positioning first before thinking about the memory
Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I will have to try this. Thanks for another helpful post engifineer!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, not to bring a topic back from death, but I have been noticing the same issue with my sunroof as of late. I'll have to give this a try.

I guess it's not possible to reset the sunroof without disconnecting the negative?

Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not that I know of. If it has been initialized since the power was last reset, then it wont do it again.

No problem bringing it back up. I was actually hoping someone would sticky it so it would be visible to those with this issue.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you pull the main fuse that controls the sunroof and window memory it should be the same thing as disconnecting the battery.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my sunroof started whistling at one point, and it was because of the plastic strip that sits along the front of the wind deflector panel (or basically, its the plastic strip that sits between the top of the windshield and the roof). Anyways, it start to pop up, and a quick firm press down to secure the plastic strip fixed all the whistling from the roof.

now if someone has any fix for the creaking noises coming from the roof, then I'd be much obliged.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 AM

Well this zombie topic is helpful. Glad it was brought up cuz I just started having this problemo. I thought it might have something to do with my seals or something.
Now what main fuse controls the sunroof and window memory?