Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Paint Issue (this is a shock)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's on your C pillar, that's a darn hard place to screw up from your own negligence - there are lots of reports of paint problems on these cars - PM a girl named Smash - she's all over this stuff.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont where you ppl drive, but if you complain about this you should buy an suby. Their factory paint is 3 times worst then toyco's. And the chips are natural, all cars have them. BTW may be the used less paint so the car is not that heavy. LMAO :D
Old 05-08-2005, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats the Issues with Suby paint ? I have a buddy of mine that just got a 05 WRX Sti . Paint looks good but he dont drive it to much (scared something is gonna happen to it so we take the tC LOL)
Old 05-08-2005, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, the tC's paint is prone to more scratching than other vehicles. It also seems that the paint is thinner on some areas than other areas. Aside from normal rock chipping on the unprotected leading edge of the vehicle, the only paint problem I've experienced are blemishes under the clearcoat on the hood. There is a TSB that addresses moisture underneath the plastic wrap that is on the car when they are in transit to the dealer. I never bothered to have it taken care of, because it is hardly visible on AP, but if any unprovoked chipping occurred, i would have it at the dealership ASAP.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see they release they special edition and look what happens..lol...i have a few paint chipps to but its because were i live there is alot of highway and ____ty rods....so i have a few on my hood and bumper but you have to look close to see them..
Old 05-10-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha are you kidding me? there's like a billion posts on crappy Scion paint on these boards. i already went to arbitration with Scion and lost over it... here's two links of mine, but there are many others. GL getting a thing done about it, cuz it's not gonna happen (unless there's some sort of crazy class action suit which I doubt will ever happen).

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...013&highlight=

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...133&highlight=
Old 05-11-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually my paint is being taken care of , for the paint flaw (thin base coat , lack of color under the clear) By most toyota inspection standards for paint inspection , Paint defects (fish eyes , paint seeds , other blemishes etc etc ) if you cant see them standing at 3 ft , 30 degrees then they are acceptable , Paint seeds and fish eyes go according to diameter and where they are located on the body panels , A section (roof and pillers) , B Section hood , trunk upper sections of door panels , C section Lower body panels and bumpers . This is the inspection criteria I was taught when working with toyota , those paremiters might have changed since then , but it is a good rule of thumb . My paint defect is from not enough base coat being applied to the metal then being sprayed over with clear . mine is under warrenty and being corrected . NOW if they will do somethign about the damn chipping LOL , But I dont think I will be that lucky either
Old 05-11-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by smash
haha are you kidding me? there's like a billion posts on crappy Scion paint on these boards. i already went to arbitration with Scion and lost over it...
I didn't know you lost - that's too bad since it sounds like things were hardly your fault on that one. I understand Scion really not wanting to get drawn in to paying for people's chipped paint because everyone has some, but it sounded like your situation was a bit different. Too bad they put you through all that crap first.

Oh well... at least the car still drives. Now you've just got an excuse to do some custom body stuff or at least get custom paint.