Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Retro Fit or get Projector TCs w/ HID

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:30 PM

i have seen the light from the 05 and the 08 headlights (6k HID), and to say the truth i like the light from the 05 w/ the lights angled down just a bit.

but still 900+ for retro's??? weren't retros meant to be used if the car did not have factory/AF projectors?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ its because more light is being centralized lower - if you had a car 10 lenghts ahead of you would would see that better w/ the projectors because the beam is going a feet off the ground. Get 5k HID's and you will have no issue w/ light
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The difference from the expensive HID housings are that they really have a defined line - with the oem 08 hid housings there isnt that 100% crisp line. Also, you take say the honda s2000 hid guts and you will get that blue light emitted when the car goes oven bumps (the ongoing traffic will see it) - pretty nice looking
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread is lolz.

Retrofit is the BEST way to go, enough said! Do some research and you will see why. Check out hidplanet.com/forums and there will be plenty of pictures. If you still think hid's in reflector housings are better, then you obviously don't want to see the truth.

The factory projectors are okay, but the reflector bowl is small, the cutoff shield is straight rather than curved, and the lens is not 100% clear. Best single xenon (imo) are s2k, sc430, rx330 (although doesn't have a curved shield), and LS430.

Also with HID's, the higher up in color you go, the less light output. Yes it may look "cool", but the best output is with OEM 4300k.

People without experience and knowledge that are just going off of merely observation, do some research! End rant!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged
This thread is lolz.
If you still think hid's in reflector housings are better, then you obviously don't want to see the truth.
-I did not say that stocks where better, I just said that in my opinion they are better.

This thread is lolz.
Also with HID's, the higher up in color you go, the less light output. Yes it may look "cool", but the best output is with OEM 4300k.
-Any who is thinking of going HID should know the color range, but to me if you want stock looking headlights, stay with your stock looking headlights. 6k looks good and gives a good amount of light (this would be for people that want HID, a upgraded look as well).

This thread is lolz.
People without experience and knowledge that are just going off of merely observation, do some research! End rant!
-Last I checked, I have been working on and modin cars for 10+ years and I do read the forums to get latest opinions and ideas, but all does not matter to a person if they feel a mod does not fit the project they are building, remember it’s is not every one’s car, it is Your Car. So if you feel that 800.00+ retros are for you, by all means go for it. But to some other people may feel that the stocky HID is the way to go, but to ME I feel the stocky w/ 6k is right for me and my project.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

PM Chicotunner07! He did his own and purpletc's as well. They look great and work great. He used TSX projectors i belive. Parts were around 400. He will prolly do them for you too if you ask. Prolly for cheaper than 900 total.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

it always cheaper to do it yourself. i tried and couldnt stand it anymore so i sent them off to be done by Lightwerkz.net (my retro is one of the few on his homepage). they can easily be done for a steal. go to your local junk yards and look for any car with OEM HIDs. you can get all the parts you need there, HID bulbs, ballast, projectors, shrouds. some do it and sell them on HIDPlanet.com for profit (pretty smart). if you have the time and patience, use your own headlights and start modding with those parts. its not always a high dollar job. the labor itself is not cheap depending on where you send them. I love mine, if my GF would let me i would do the same for her 09 Camry i would, in which have the same projectors as the 08-10 tC and are not anything to droll over. i made it seem cheaper on myself by taking my time and getting the right parts i wanted for my retro over a 3-4 month period instead of all at once. also saving on shipping by having the seller ship them straight to the person doing my retro. if you got the cash to spend, why not?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

only thing is - if you dont get the beams strait - you have to open it back up and fix things - best way (if your going to attempt this) - is to do it on a long weekend (4days or so) and be prepared to spend some time. Best thing is to put them back into the car w/o bumper cover or screws and get things even. Then the next day, check to make sure they are even still. Then put the dome back onto the light -make sure its sealed up good because a few people didnt do it correct and had condensation get in there. Wnat to make your retro look like crap instantly ...get condensation in there. ha.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have done my project myself, spent only 350ish on supplies. Well worth it in my opinion. Stocky w/ HID will have lots of glare, and will still blind people. I have done it, but since I have researched what true HID lighting is, I went back to halogen in the reflector housing until I am completed with my retro.

True though, it is your car. So do with it what you will.