Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Retrofit 2008 tc headlights with MORIMOTO RETRO-QUIK SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Retrofit 2008 tc headlights with MORIMOTO RETRO-QUIK SYSTEM

has anyone retrofitted their 08 tc headlights with the MORIMOTO RETRO-QUIK SYSTEM?
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=254
I'm thinking about doing this retrofit and i'm wondering if it is easy and worth the time and money to actually go through with this retrofit.
It sounds like a simple retrofit.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes! Bought the Morimoto Mini D2S Quick Retrofit kit a while back from TRS in ATL, things would have worked out better if I hadn't used 50W ballasts and bulbs. Toasted the bowls in 2 weeks, look here for pics.

Here's a couple more links to help understand whats inside the headlights.

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Headlights/

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Comparison/

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Components/

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/...0SHIELD%20MOD/
Old 02-16-2012, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice found guys, i might want to do this too.

DigitalPro, how you like the light output when driving at night? is it a lot better than stock 2008?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
nice find guys, i might want to do this too.

DigitalPro, how you like the light output when driving at night? is it a lot better than stock 2008?

The Mini D2S has to much foreground lighting, that much light so close to the front of the car causes your pupils to contract and the distance vision decreased. Just think of what it like having a flashlight point at your eyes and then pulled away, you really can't see much or far away until your eyes adjust.

Stock halogen with HID (4300) aren't that bad, I modified mine with custom shields to correct the squirrel finders. I wouldn't recommend the Mini D2S at all for the TC.

Last edited by DigitalPro; 02-16-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DigitalPro
The Mini D2S has to much foreground lighting, that much light so close to the front of the car causes your pupils to contract and the distance vision decreased. Just think of what it like having a flashlight point at your eyes and then pulled away, you really can't see much or far away until your eyes adjust.

Stock halogen with HID (4300) aren't that bad, I modified mine with custom shields to correct the squirrel finders. I wouldn't recommend the Mini D2S at all for the TC.

Thanks for the info about the 55w ballast burning the bowls. I was still thinking about doing this retrofit with 35w ballast but after your review about the mini d2s giving too much light on the foreground, I might just stick with the halogen projectors with a 5000k 55w hid kit in them. It's actually pretty ok lighting
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take a look at this photo, most of the output drop right in front of the car, what you want is less in front and all at the furthest point away.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed with DigitalPro, he seems to know his stuff well; If you can find a set of TSX on ebay *usually around $110-$130* , those are what I recommend; nice and wide, and yet good distance.....

except for the minimal "shield flare" you might get hehe.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb

Thanks mxyooji, I started my TC headlight obsession August of last year when TRS moved to ATL!!! Picked up a PNP Morimoto 50 kit w/4300 bulbs for $155 good quality products, pushed the squirrel finders slightly and everything was good. Then I was introduce to the Retro Quick system and decided to try it out, pretty easy to install, but the 50W ballasts and D2S bulbs burned the reflector bowls quickly. Bummer...

Anyone planning a retrofit for their 08'+ headlights here's some suggestions:

Go with OEM projectors..Honda S2000, Acura TSX, these will use D2S OEM bulbs which are hi quality and preciously aligned and 3000+ lumen output. (SVS or CBI)

Use a heavy duty wire harness, yes the stock wiring will work, but the piece of mind having it directly connect to the batter is worth it.

Use OEM ballasts if can afford, Denso and others will fired up fast and last longer then non-OEMs.

In all my experience I would have just bought the Depo headlights (Wider internal bracket), RX330AFS projectors (best for the money), Denso 35W ballasts and alot of time & money!!!

Check this SL link for some additional reading and links.