Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Rhino-Lining the insides of body kit for more sturdiness??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rhino-Lining the insides of body kit for more sturdiness??

Has anyone thought about doing this to their body kits to make them more sturdy and less resistant to breaking/cracking??? Or does anyone already have this done to their kits?? You could put rhino-lining on the inside of the front/rear bumpers and side skirts and also on the bottom where the kit could get scratched up. They sell rhino-lining in different colors to match your paint...I just need to get more info on this, tho. IMO, it's a pretty good idea to throw out there for those ppl who have fiberglass body kits and how easily it gets broken into pieces when you hit anything...I know if I ever get a kit on my car, I'll do this to protect my kit more. Just something I thought I'd put out there...Don't flame or bash on me if you think it's stupid...IT'S JUST AN IDEA.

Josh.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

well think of this, if you bottom out and the there is no flex then it will break or crack. if there is some flex to it then it will just bend and go back into shape.....
thats why urethane is better than fiberglass
Old 12-14-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya I know that too but im just leaning towards ppl who have fiberglass body kits because some kits don't come in urethane, or at least that's what I think...correct me if im wrong.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting idea, but i agree about not being able to flex.

i just ordered the buddy club 2 front bumper in flex fiber, would rhino liner not cause that to not flex also
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone seen hardened rhino lining not applied to any surface, just a small peice of it? what kind of properties does it have? is it rigid, or does it have some give? im assuming it has a little flex to it, like a tough rubber, otherwise it would shatter in a truck bed once you dropped a heavy load on it.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know when i do car shows there is a guy that has a lifted dodge ram and on his bumper and fender flairs and center of hood, he has rhino liner, mind you this is on top of the truck, almost like a design he has made
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and just a little fyi, i was in Huntington Beach a year or two ago and saw a ford sport trac completely covered in rhino liner. every body panel was coated! it looked weird at first, but it was original! the guy obviously wasnt concerned with the overall weight of his car. Im not sure why he did it, but it shows it can be done, whether it would help with preventing the body kit from cracking is not something im sure about, might have to be the sacrificial lamb!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol true dat
Old 12-14-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suppose he'd never have to worry about waxing it. And he's evidently never planning to sell it, either. :D
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by xIxAMxHOLLYWOODx
and just a little fyi, i was in Huntington Beach a year or two ago and saw a ford sport trac completely covered in rhino liner. every body panel was coated! it looked weird at first, but it was original! the guy obviously wasnt concerned with the overall weight of his car. Im not sure why he did it, but it shows it can be done, whether it would help with preventing the body kit from cracking is not something im sure about, might have to be the sacrificial lamb!
I saw a Jeep at work a few weeks ago that had the same thing going on. I thought it was a good idea (for an off-road vehicle).

I dunno if it's bendy though. I'm sure that it would make a fiberglass kit more durable, but it's not goning to make it invincible.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea the sportrac I saw was definately not gonna be offroading anytime soon, he had some chromed out 22's on the thing riding stock height. But you're right, it would make for a good offroad vehicle. A buddy of mine builds trophy trucks, truggys, rails etc... and he uses rhino lining on the interior of all his projects. Helps with grip and easy to clean, just hose it out!