Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Should I go retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Should I go retrofit?

I have some pics below of both the cutoff and and road pics of the light output of the 08 projectors with 4300k bulbs. Right now I am really considering and HID retrofit. I just bought some 05-07 headlights today off ebay for $123 shipped. I am looking at a site called Lightwerkz to do the retrofit. I just wanna know from anyone who has retrofitted lights if it is absolutely worth it to shell out $1000+ for a retrofit. I am looking at going the Honda S2000 route, and maybe even with some 55w digital ballasts. How much better will that retrofit be than what I currently have in these pics below?
Attached Thumbnails Should I go retrofit?-img_0341.jpg   Should I go retrofit?-img_0342.jpg   Should I go retrofit?-img_0350.jpg   Should I go retrofit?-img_0354.jpg   Should I go retrofit?-img_0355.jpg  

Old 08-27-2009, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

you can DIY or have to pay good amount for a really clean job by lightwerkz
Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I think I could save some money by goin the diy route, but it seems extremely hard 2 me...idk...I was thinking about just paying lightwerkz the 800 plus the cost of the kit and CCFL rings.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am thinking about doing some retrofit for my 07. I've been reading on some of the DIY for retrofit and it does seem challenging but I don't want to fork out 800+ for someone to do it. I just bought some s2k projectors and right now i'm debating if i should do a retrofit or just sell those s2k projectors. I was thinking about getting some 07 headlights off craigslist and doing it on those. I was planning on doing halos as my DRL and a strip of LEDs in my eyebrows as a turn signal. It'll take time and money but not as much as 800+. Right now i'm trying to decide which shroud i should go with.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea see, I dont want to spend 300 on some projectors and lenses and then when I get them I dont know what the hell to do with them. And if I went the lightwerkz way it would actually be around 1200 after shipping cost, and the extra cost of the bulbs, ballast, wiring harness and all that. I think the diy cost would probably be around 7-800 after all that, so....I guess I can ask some people on here how hard it is, i know for sure it's gonna be time consuming.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See my price break down is this:
s2k projectors : 114 (yes i paid that little for them)
E46 shroud: 50
set of 07 headlights: 80
d2s bulbs: 80
d2s adapters: 30
angel eyes: 50
LED strips: 30
others: 30
total: 454
Being one of the fews to have retrofitted headlights in down : Priceless
I'm hoping this is all its going to cost me.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did u find the s2k projectors for so cheap? And did that include the lenses as well? Also are there any special tools you need to do a retrofit or can u do it with common tools?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From someone on the forums. And I think you only need common tools.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMK if you decide to sell off your 08's!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

why not just retro your 08's?

you wont have to use a shroud, and your lighting will improve dramatically! although the 08 cutoff with HID isnt bad either.

i say DIY, you will end up saving a ton of money and the experience is great! S2k projectors are a little harder to retro because of the lack of mounting tabs, start with something easier to retro like Tsx's or rx330 projectors!

BTW, theretrofitsource.com has replica fx35 projectors that are awesome anc cake to retrofit, and soon will be releasing s2k replicas for around 200 which are said will perform better then OEM s2k!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by curtislo9
LMK if you decide to sell off your 08's!
Hey I'll definitely be selling off my 08's as soon as im done with the retrofit. And chico I'm doing the retro on a different set of lights because idk how long this is going to take me and so I cant have my only set of lights for my car under construction. I would like to use the 08's because I like the look of those better anyway but it just isnt going to work out. And thanks for the info about the mounting screws....I still want the s2k's though lol That cutoff looks amazing and especially when the color mod is done, and also another thing that I noticed is that the s2k's probably have the widest, brightest, and most even light spread. That's what I want.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

its WELL worth the price. i actually bought ALL the parts i needed for the retro and saved on shipping and sent them directly to Lightwerkz (Ceasar). He was cool enough to hold them for me. I saved some money by buying some materials from this guy...

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/oem_xenon_parts/

if you search his store, you can probably even ask him if he can get you a deal on projectors, shrouds, ballast, bulbs, whatever. there are some other good projectors out there. your going to spend at the least $250-300 for S2K projectors alone? You might be better off buying something else with a lense swap to save money? check out the link in my sig for my retro pics, Lightwerkz did all the work!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

yeah, s2k's are the best, but you will honestly rarely notice the difference, i personnaly would rather go for a modded fx35 or modded rx330 for a little less then half the price!

i was saying to put the 05-07 lights on while you work on your 08's!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

TFX FTW! I love having a bi-xenon projector.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to ordder some paRts off of theretrofitsource but they are closed til the 10th of sept. Guess I gotta wait. I did see the post on their website about the s2k projectors they are developing and I gotta say that it's very interesting. But not sure how longits going to take them to perfect it.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
its WELL worth the price. i actually bought ALL the parts i needed for the retro and saved on shipping and sent them directly to Lightwerkz (Ceasar). He was cool enough to hold them for me. I saved some money by buying some materials from this guy...

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/oem_xenon_parts/

if you search his store, you can probably even ask him if he can get you a deal on projectors, shrouds, ballast, bulbs, whatever. there are some other good projectors out there. your going to spend at the least $250-300 for S2K projectors alone? You might be better off buying something else with a lense swap to save money? check out the link in my sig for my retro pics, Lightwerkz did all the work!
Hey Yanki, I remember seeing your fx35 retrofitted lights a while back. But after seeing alot of pics of the s2k I think I really wouldnt mind spending top dollar for them. Now when you said you bought all the parts and sent them directly to lightwerkz was this for the fx35 project? Because I think I've seen other posts were u had a tsx retrofit. And I would really like to be able to do this myself but I already know with work/school/everything else I just dont have the time to do a retrofit myself. Does lightwerkz have a user on this message board though? Is that the guy Ceasar your referring too?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Lightwerkz = Ceasar. when i bought my OEM headlights on eBay, i asked the seller to send Ceasar the lights to save on shipping. If they came to me, i would of had to spend another $25 for shipping to ship them to him. I think that was all i sent him, maybe the projectors but i dont remember? Ask him before you do this though, idk if he still likes to hold things there. Yea s2k projectors are nice, it all depends on what you want to spend? Yea Ceasar did the "TFX" retro (FX35 projectors w/ TSX clear lense swap). I tried to do a retro with TSX projectors on my own but couldnt and didnt have the patience. I ended up switching to the TFX setup instead of TSX. I dont think Ceasar is a member on here, you can email him at "Sales@LightWerkz.net"
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightwerkz = Ceasar. when i bought my OEM headlights on eBay, i asked the seller to send Ceasar the lights to save on shipping. If they came to me, i would of had to spend another $25 for shipping to ship them to him. I think that was all i sent him, maybe the projectors but i dont remember? Ask him before you do this though, idk if he still likes to hold things there. Yea s2k projectors are nice, it all depends on what you want to spend? Yea Ceasar did the "TFX" retro (FX35 projectors w/ TSX clear lense swap). I tried to do a retro with TSX projectors on my own but couldnt and didnt have the patience. I ended up switching to the TFX setup instead of TSX. I dont think Ceasar is a member on here, you can email him at "Sales@LightWerkz.net"
Yea see I dont think I have the patience to diy either. Because I'm pretty sure I'd still have to do a bunch of wiring stuff especially if I wanted LED's or CCFL's. I already bought the lights though so ill just have to eat the shipping costs on that. Have you tried using 55w ballasts though? If so how much brighter is it, and is it too bright to the point where your blinding people even when they are above or outside of the cutoff?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

nope, i have Denso Slim ballast (35w). ive been thinking about going with 55W digital ballast but i preferr OEM over china made.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, i have Denso Slim ballast (35w). ive been thinking about going with 55W digital ballast but i preferr OEM over china made.
How much did you spend on the Denso ballast? I know they must be pretty good if they are Denso branded....are they cheaper than the Hella Balasts? And would you reccomend maybe going a cheaper route and just getting some MobileHID ballasts? Those have been pretty reliable for me...

Quick Reply: Should I go retrofit?