Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Sick of spending all my mod money on PDR (Rant warning)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 PM
SL Member

Default Sick of spending all my mod money on PDR (Rant warning)

Our cars are made so cheap that when I was putting my hamper into my passenger door it glanced the rear quarter panel (right in back of the door) and it left a 4 inch crease dent. This is pathetic. This is the 4th time I have had to get PDR on this car. The 1st 3 were from door dings in public parking lots. I am ranting. I am sorry but I am just so discouraged and depressed. I have a bone stock tC and it will always be this way because things like this happen.

My plastic hamper should not be able to dent a car. This is sickening. I feel like I am going to vomit.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There is an understood 5foot rule when I park my car, everything in my garage has to be 5feet away from my car at all times.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 PM

i feel your pain man, i have so many dings/dents in my car it's digusting. i almost dont want to spend the money to fix them because its bound to happen again and again..ugh
Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 PM
SL Member

I would be ____ed off to man. I think the paint and clearcoat is extremely cheap on the tC. I have never taken my car down a gravel road but just driving on regular road I've got chips all over the front end! I already have a spot on the passenger side door where something hit it and took it down to the bare metal. I noticed the small rust spot last week. My car doesn't even have 8k miles on it yet!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM

I feel your pain...
I have a couple of scratches but no major problems. I consider myself lucky, but know that the day is going to come when I am ____ed beyond belief.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Paint scratching a little easy I can see.. and do see on most new cars.... denting that easy... I think you are exaggerating.

I watched my car sit in dime sized hail (enough to set of all the car alarms on the block) for 10 minutes.. not one dent. I have probably hit 20 road cones at 50 mph in 2 years of autoxing and test n tunes.. some of those sliding sideways and leaving cone scars (orange plastic shreds) on the door... no dents. The only small dents I do have are from a door ding and one from my door hitting the steps in my garage when someone opened it.. and those are very minor. The sheet metal isnt as thick as it is on our 4runner obviously, but it doesnt dent a the drop of a hat like you are making it out to be either.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i got a good quarter size dent on my drivers side door when i parked in my gf's garage. Went to open the door knowing there was a huge box next to it. So i slowly opened it and set it on the box. I look again and a nice dent for christmas
Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Just leave the dents, they're good for aerodynamics. Just think of your car as a giant golfball.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 AM
SL Member

I kid you not the plastic hamper dented the lower part of my rear quarter panel in back of the front door. I am not exaggerating. I will take pics tomorrow. It is a crease dent. I don't know how the PDR guy is gonna gain access to fix the dent because you can't get through the inside and the wheel well is too far away. I guess the only thing he can do is drill an access hole in the door jam of the car and then just silicone plug it. But thats besides the point.

I have OCD so I can't stand to look at it. It is in my mind 24/7. (I know I am a sicko I guess) When I go to sleep I am still thinking about it. On the other hand money is really tight now and I can't afford to keep fixing my car. And it is very discouraging spending all this money just to get it back to bone stock when I see other people with all done up tCs around my area. It just really hurts thats it. I just think I have horrible luck and bad karma and I try to stay positive but after so many negative things happening in my life the dents are the things that put me over the edge. They are like the last straw between me being slightly sane and completely insane.

This time it was my fault so I have to deal with it. The 3 other times we from me parking very very far away in parking lots and still getting hit by other peoples doors. I am paying about $150 each time I have a dent removed so it is not cheap. I just wish I was able to do a few things to my car to make it my own and not have dents be my only mods.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
SL Member

Anyone know a PDR guy in Rockland County, Westchester County or Northern NJ that may be able to do it at a low price?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just forget about it. Better to fix it when you have money, than to fix it when you don't. I have so many dings on my car, and I just leave them. It's pointless to get them fixed if there tiny, they are bound to happen again.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

honestly every car on te market has the sme thickness of sheetmetal these days,they dent easy......just get used to it........at least your neighbor does not use your car for a step to get out of their 4x4.........I see 4 flat tires in his future if I see his wife do it again.........lol
Old 05-05-2009, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

While I agree that sheet metal is thin on the cars these days and they cant hold up to what they used to in the dent area... I still think it is hilarious to hear someone say they "glanced the side of the car" witha plastic hamper and creased the sheet metal.. sorry ... that is a HUGE exaggeration or utter BS about what caused the dent. When I know for 100% fact that mine has handled high speed hits from road cones and dime sized hail with not even a hint of a mark. Hell... a beer can will handle a glancing blow from a plastic clothes hamper
Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
While I agree that sheet metal is thin on the cars these days and they cant hold up to what they used to in the dent area... I still think it is hilarious to hear someone say they "glanced the side of the car" witha plastic hamper and creased the sheet metal.. sorry ... that is a HUGE exaggeration or utter BS about what caused the dent. When I know for 100% fact that mine has handled high speed hits from road cones and dime sized hail with not even a hint of a mark. Hell... a beer can will handle a glancing blow from a plastic clothes hamper
Well the hamper did have clothes in it. One of the bigger ones, it wasnt one of the horizontal ones but the vertical ones. And the lower fender area is definitely weaker than the upper fender and upper door where the braces are. Why would I exaggerate? I have nothing to gain by exaggerating. So maybe those details will make it more believable.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dented my front passenger fender w/ my knee Twice!...so there!!!..

Dont u know that MOST cars these days use Thin Body Panels???
Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They do. It is in part an attempt to compensate for the weight added to meet safety regulations. While it is nice they are safer... it sucks that the day of the low 2000 lb cars is gone.. unless of course you are talking about a crappy smart car or something way too expensive
Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I dont know about dents but I never seen paint scratch so easy....it is very very depressing.

I had a huge chip and scratch in my passenger door where someone open there door on me
(I think people do it subconsciously that have ____tier cars)

I also went to wipe bird poop off my hood in 2 places and ended up putting swirl marks in it, I was devastated.

Good news though I went to my dealer and they fixed the hood 100% and the passanger about 80% for free!!!!!