Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Silverstar Ultras vs Luminics Hyper Whites foglights HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Silverstar Ultras vs Luminics Hyper Whites foglights HELP!

Need help on which bulb is better for my 07 tC Fog Light kit. I've been hearing/reading the forums that the luminics are the way to go but I also read that you need to put some kind of grease for the luminics to not fry the housing or the wires. I'm a about this so I dont want any bad comments. and plus, does the silverstar ultras have a 1 year warranty on them also? coz i know that the luminics have them so if the silverstar doesnt have them, i might as well go with the luminics. thanks guys.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've read way too many horror stories about Luminics. At least the SilverStars are a quality product. My g/f and I have had them in both our cars for 11 and 9 months respectively. (As long as you don't touch the bulbs with your BARE HANDS during install, they should be fine.) Also, Pep Boys is running a mail-in rebate on the Ultras. $15 off a set.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

whats the bulb size for the fogs?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They're just standard 9006 bulbs... same as your lowbeam headlights.

And stay away from the Luminix... Sylvania bulbs are a good high quality bulb and should just swap in no problem.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

if their 9006 like the low beams. I would buy 2 sets of 9005 Silverstars or Silverstar Ultras since they have that mail-in rebate and do this mod to them....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...121672&start=0
you would probally get some serious light output by doing it to the low beams and the fogs. this is probally your best choice that you can do! Wayyy better than Luminics.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ya, i'm putting some silverstars in my high beams and some ultras in my lows. all 9005s...should be GREAT. Luminics is a good product, but its just that one website that got the crazy bad reviews for stealing money. Nevertheless, i'd stick with sylvania which has great reviews all the way around.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I had silverstars in my head and fog lights, they don't even come close to the HID's I put in.

After installing the headlights I had to do the fogs too, because they looked soo bad compared to the hid headlights.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Luminics are not the way to go, they burned my friends harness up. I have Silverstar Ultra's and they arent bad. I will be getting some HID's soon though, a GB on ScionSmoke.com has them for $165.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump
Old 01-02-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by beryenbeh
bump
whats the bump for?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol just bored.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Toyota uses Sylvania bulbs for your stock lights... that says something about the quality if you ask me ;)
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by LiquidFX
Luminics are not the way to go, they burned my friends harness up. I have Silverstar Ultra's and they arent bad. I will be getting some HID's soon though, a GB on ScionSmoke.com has them for $165.
it's because people don't know how to install them.

you'll need to spend a little money to get conductive grease in there for the contacts.

unlike the misinformation about wattage and upgraded harnesses crap... any bulb with a poor connection will cause the wiring harness to melt... it applies to ALL bulbs.

it's not the wattage, it's the connection. buying so-called upgraded wiring harnesses or new "heavy-duty" high temp plugs are a WASTE of money...

if you needed to really upgrade such a thing.. it would be the WHOLE wiring harness, including the plugs... that's wired through the ENTIRE car.

i have ran luminic bulbs for well over a year or two and the harnesses are completely fine. the bulb will kill itself and burn out over time before my harnesses will do anything.

get what you want... but i'm saying for anything you do get... conductive grease could and should be used for everything... it won't hurt if you didn't really need it... but at least you know harnesses won't be frying anytime soon.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I wonder why toyota doesn't use any grease in there then. I mean, we are staying at the same wattage and all that fun stuff by putting in the silverstars. It would seem that we would have a problem with the stock bulbs too if we were to have a problem with the silverstars. After all, if the connection is all thats important, whats the difference between the stocks and the silverstars? There is no grease on either of them and they have the same connection...so why should the silverstar burn the harness?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I don't know about the tc as I haven't changed the bulbs yet, but the xb light harness has the grease......is the word.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hmm, maybe the tC does too? I don't remember seeing any when I swapped out my bulbs over a year ago...but it was a long time...any grease there?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

luminics may look nice, but light output is crap. my friend has them and they are crap compared to silverstars. i just picked up silverstar ultras because of the sale going on, $32 - $10MIR = $22! i had piaa xtreme whites before and loved them, haven't installed the ultras yet but hopefully they look just as good.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

there's no grease in there stock.

the bulb itself may or may not make a good connection with the harness depending on the bulb itself (quality, brand, whatnot)...

the stock bulbs make a pretty good connection as it is, and thus grease isn't used..

i'm just saying that even if it's not needed... some grease in there won't hurt anything.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

here are my ultra's

Old 01-02-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
there's no grease in there stock.

the bulb itself may or may not make a good connection with the harness depending on the bulb itself (quality, brand, whatnot)...

the stock bulbs make a pretty good connection as it is, and thus grease isn't used..

i'm just saying that even if it's not needed... some grease in there won't hurt anything.
So if we're doing the 9005 conversion such that there are 9005 bulbs in the 9006 socket, the connect probably won't be all that tight. Even if we are using silverstars/ultras (which is a quality bulb), from the procedure, we get rid of both guides so there are none left. In the 9006, there is 1 guide in the center. So it sounds like the connection would not be that tight.

Any recommendation as to where I can buy this grease? I did a quick search online and it looks fairly expensive. Nonetheless, I took a look in walmart and didn't find any. Any recommendation?

Quick Reply: Silverstar Ultras vs Luminics Hyper Whites foglights HELP!